Fly Fishing Forum banner

Confusion?

5K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  bobmiddlepoint 
#1 ·
Who creates this with angling tackle? From nylons, lines, rods etc? The manufacturers or anglers themselves?

#31 ·
Indeed, the first book on fly fishing I read, Teach Yourself Fly Fishing, covered all you really need to know about river, stillwater, trout, grayling, sea trout and salmon fishing.

The main casting tip I remember was to imagine there was a bird sitting high in a tree behind you, and to try and hit it with your fly on the back cast.

Author was Maurice Wiggin.

G
#6 ·
Both I'd say the way I have learned is ask a couple of the guys on here a direct question.. Listen and then use the answers..
And don't fall into debate..
Find what you like enjoy it...
Everything that is for sale has a marketing point of sale mainly using complex ways of over complicating the item.
And ignore some threada on here..
Gary

#8 ·
Much of what 'goes around' is stuff that people have picked up from other anglers and accepted as fact. 'What reel balances my X rod?', 'I have an X rod, what's the best line for it?' (No mention of where or how they're intending to fish.) What happens is that someone professes that the rod should balance horizontally at a fulcrum point at the top of the handle and that's how you know you have the right reel. Angler A says he has Y line for his X rod and it's brilliant, angler B says he tried a Y line with an X rod but it was rubbish and he says a Z line was far better. Angler A fishes nymphs from the bank at Grafham, Angler B fishes traditional spiders, across and down on a Yorkshire stream.

There are those amongst us who's basic and fundamental understanding and experience of casting and fishing is very limited and when things don't go well or meet their expectations, they try and play a 'numbers game' to explain their deficiency. The rod is too heavy - the rod tip is too heavy - the line 'doesn't load the rod' - the line won't cast more than 20yds - and try and seek a magic combination of rod and line, a fly fishing 'Holy Grail' that will come to their rescue.

Flies too are a source of consternation and often the source of a search for the Golden Ticket. How many times have we fished a reservoir to find ourselves in a boat surrounded by head and tailing fish sipping hatching buzzers when around us, other boats are stripping Snakes because somebody wrote in the fishing return they 'did well' with Snakes yesterday. Does UV exist? West of Ireland Golden Olive, what colour is that? Why doesn't my CDC float after I've caught three fish? How blue is blue dun?

It's a wonder we ever caught fish prior to the 'Wonderment' of the internet, YouTube and Facebook Groups. Do you know, I even caught fish before fluorocarbon, Boobies and Blobs were invented!

G
#9 ·
Much of what 'goes around' is stuff that people have picked up from other anglers and accepted as fact. 'What reel balances my X rod?', 'I have an X rod, what's the best line for it?' (No mention of where or how they're intending to fish.) What happens is that someone professes that the rod should balance horizontally at a fulcrum point at the top of the handle and that's how you know you have the right reel. Angler A says he has Y line for his X rod and it's brilliant, angler B says he tried a Y line with an X rod but it was rubbish and he says a Z line was far better. Angler A fishes nymphs from the bank at Grafham, Angler B fishes traditional spiders, across and down on a Yorkshire stream.

There are those amongst us who's basic and fundamental understanding and experience of casting and fishing is very limited and when things don't go well or meet their expectations, they try and play a 'numbers game' to explain their deficiency. The rod is too heavy - the rod tip is too heavy - the line 'doesn't load the rod' - the line won't cast more than 20yds - and try and seek a magic combination of rod and line, a fly fishing 'Holy Grail' that will come to their rescue.

Flies too are a source of consternation and often the source of a search for the Golden Ticket. How many times have we fished a reservoir to find ourselves in a boat surrounded by head and tailing fish sipping hatching buzzers when around us, other boats are stripping Snakes because somebody wrote in the fishing return they 'did well' with Snakes yesterday. Does UV exist? West of Ireland Golden Olive, what colour is that? Why doesn't my CDC float after I've caught three fish? How blue is blue dun?

It's a wonder we ever caught fish prior to the 'Wonderment' of the internet, YouTube and Facebook Groups. Do you know, I even caught fish before fluorocarbon, Boobies and Blobs were invented!
My dad's first fish was caught in the little river in his village in a packet of crisps.. At the age of 7..he has fished since.. He's know 62..

#10 ·
Golf and fishing are very similar when it comes to equipment.

Firstly, ignore all the advice and pick something you like that suits your style.

Secondly, never buy fishing or golf equipment for anyone else. You'll buy something that more than likely doesn't suit the swing speed/casting style of the person the gift is for. They'll be unable to get the best from it and end up hating the gift and buying something else.

Euan

G
#11 ·
Golf and fishing are very similar when it comes to equipment.

Firstly, ignore all the advice and pick something you like that suits your style.

Secondly, never buy fishing or golf equipment for anyone else. You'll buy something that more than likely doesn't suit the swing speed/casting style of the person the gift is for. They'll be unable to get the best from it and end up hating the gift and buying something else.

Euan
Gift vouchers are a great invention.. And your right one person's like can be someone else's dislike.. I listen to a few and then buy if I don't like it I usually give to someone..
Stay safe.
Garh

#12 ·
Apparently it is our nature to complicate. The more difficult and complicated we make some things the more we will value information and those who purport to have that information.

Anglers love to create complexity and fuel the mystery of how to catch fish. We used to have to wait for the monthly magazine to be confused and feel inadequate, now it comes hourly on every media stream!

The lovely irony comes when 'experts' who having spent a lifetime living the myth, come full circle and promote 'keep it simple' :)

Manufacturers love to follow the trend: ..."the line has a long head and back taper to increase loop control when carrying long lengths, and for making precise casts to rising fish, while the weight distribution makes it easy to turn over long leaders for technical feeders at range...added benefits of incredible levels of sensitivity when casting and fishing, and providing enhanced detection of takes, faster hook sets, and far greater control when playing a fish"

How will I manage this season without this line? What on earth am I going to do when I spot a 'technical feeder' at distance...:oops:

G
#14 ·
How will I manage this season without this line? What on earth am I going to do when I spot a 'technical feeder' at distance...:oops:
You won't be able to reach it without a Sage TCR, I refer to another thread that is trying to drain the swamp by deepening it. It's reassuring to know though that after running around like headless chickens for most of our fishing lives these days are over now thanks to a new generation of inquisitive anglers. With Google they will simplify things for you in the blink of an eye. The vision is out there to grasp for everyone.

PS Technical feeders do not appreciate cheap nylon, Shakespeare rods nor baseball caps either. In case you didn't know. ;)

#16 ·
I blame marketing. Manufacturers trying to standout from the average crowd.
Look at rod actions, fast, medium, slow, tip, middle, through. Power in the butt (reminds me of "does my bum look big in this?" fighting butt anyone?). Fast recovery ...... !!!!!! Is it ill :sick:? How a slow, through action rod gets a fast recovery ??!! :unsure:
Okay, us anglers don't help. tippet, leader, cast.

Technical feeder? Do we have technical insects? Fish feeding on technical. :ROFLMAO:
Magazine articles, social media influencers. :p

#18 ·
Must admit the use of "technical" as a generic adjective in fishing gets my goat somewhat. Bit like "massive" used as a general purpose adjective by rugby union players...

#19 ·
#22 ·
Soapbox - I have a UK in house designed speech platform, that utilises the most technically advanced Japanese developed nano spheres, expertly assembled in South Korea and finished by UK based craftsmen. The advancements provide the orator with a superior elevation, that enables sound waves to transverse both short and long distances with ease, with no loss of perlocution, elocution or illocution associated with yesterdays technology.

#23 · (Edited)
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The marketing boys do their job well and create the demand

The anglers fuel the fire by buying all the new ideas.

Because anglers have bought the product (probably not necessary) they sell the idea to their friends, - it gets written about in fishing mags to fill the space - more people buy in the forlorn hope of catching more fish with this 'new idea' - Newbies get sucked into all this 'technical' stuff and feel that it is a necessity which will enable them to catch more fish etc, etc, etc.

The tackle industry sells more and more, and is constantly looking for additional new ideas to promote, as a 'must have' item. Anglers begin to look more and more like fashion models, adorned with the latest of essentials, must have clothing, dripping with equipment of all type, and looking like a walking xmas tree.

Whilst all this is happening, the aged angler, walks the river bank with his one and only rod, reel, line etc, happily out fishing all the xmas trees using only a couple of essentials that many modern day anglers simply don't have - EXPERIENCE AND WATERCRAFT !

He happily cycles home, laughing up his sleeve!!

Douglas

#24 ·
I recall an article in the 80's fishing press that tackle shops didn't make as much from the game angler as the coarse counterparts. It suggested we really only bought leader material and a fly line every few years, and we spent primarily on the day tickets and club memberships etc.

Clearly a marketeer read the same article. Now we've all got rods in weights 0 to 12, half size heavy lines of 6 densities to suit, in different lengths, and now in fast glass too. It's only a matter of time until we are sold half sized rods, to match the half sized lines.

#27 ·
It's only a matter of time until we are sold half sized rods, to match the half sized lines.
Genius!! They would only have to change the label on my 9' #5/6.....
I never realised it was really a #5.5. So which half size heavy line should I buy for it since the #5 I use on it is too light.....
EDIT: this was one of the sneakier changes in rod marketing. The demise of a rod range of three rods covering #3/4,#5/6,#7/8 and the creation of in between rods with single ratings, so six rods, doubling the choice and creating need in the angler's mind. And we swallow it hook, line and sinker.....

Reactions: streams
G
#34 ·
My first 'brook' rod was the top half of my first fly rod, with the reel held in my pocket, and no more than 3 yards of line out the tip. I learned the induced take with that setup.
I used to teach kids(8-10 years old) to cast with the top half. It's amazing how fast they pick it up when given something more manageable. Older ones got the whole rod and often struggled longer before they got it right.

#35 ·
Soapbox - I have a UK in house designed speech platform, that utilises the most technically advanced Japanese developed nano spheres, expertly assembled in South Korea and finished by UK based craftsmen. The advancements provide the orator with a superior elevation, that enables sound waves to transverse both short and long distances with ease, with no loss of perlocution, elocution or illocution associated with yesterdays technology.
Buggre i's wendt wit Nerth Corean yin.

#36 ·
I have thought in the past it would be really useful to set up a sticky of how to set up a rod and line for beginners with pictures. I do have my doubts about if we could agree basics like tightening up the reel to the seat or threading the line through a ring. :)
I wonder how many take a gander at this site before they ever own a rod or fish?

G
#37 ·
I have thought in the past it would be really useful to set up a sticky of how to set up a rod and line for beginners with pictures. I do have my doubts about if we could agree basics like tightening up the reel to the seat or threading the line through a ring. :)
I wonder how many take a gander at this site before they ever own a rod or fish?
Learning to walk before you can run.. The absolute basics could be a great start.. I was lucky have my dad as a tutor not all do.. ??

#38 ·
A question for the body of the kirk. If I use any form of service, or buy almost any form of white good or electrical I am bombarded with feedback/rating requests by e-mail.

So ignoring retailler service requests, how many on here have ever been contacted by a tackle manufacturing company to give any form of feedback on their products following a purchase particularly if you have filed a warranty card with them?

Regards

CLaG

#45 ·
If you are confused about something, surely you should be asking questions, no?

I have seen so many threads on this forum where people who are confused do ask questions, and folk give of their valuable time to try and explain. But half the ****ing time, it's like folk don't want to know the answer. If they can't get their heads around it, it's a case of: "Does not compute.... error, error..."

And that's when they go on to moan about things being too confusing and complicated. Aye, too confusing and complicated for you, you mean... :rolleyes:

Just sayin'...

Reactions: JCP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.