Conger v Pike...

Wee Jimmy

Which one would you rather not have chewing on your finger....?

Let’s see how far we can all piss up the wall on this one...:rolleyes:

eddleston123

I have only ever caught a pike whilst fishing for rainbows - on a size 12 ptn!

A traumatic experience, as it was the last thing that I expected - This was on Port More a few years ago

I removed the fly with a pair of long nosed forceps.

If it was a conger eel, I would have just cut the line and ran!!

Douglas

Reactions: JCP

Cap'n Fishy

Which one would you rather not have chewing on your finger....?

Let’s see how far we can all piss up the wall on this one...:rolleyes:
Saw a prog a few weeks ago on Discovery Channel or some such. A diver dude type guy lost his thumb... to a Moray eel. He was hand-feeding it sausages! "Wahl... thar's yer problem!" 🤪

Moray eels were apparently the inspiration for the alien in the 'Alien' films. They have 2 sets of 'jaws' and can grip a prey and pull it in and pass it back to the rear set of teeth... such as a human thumb...

Anyway, if you are diving and hand-feeding Moray eels, best not to be offering them sausages...

Col

PS: I just remembered, what they did for the guy - was they amputated his big toe and stitched it on to make a replacement thumb for him. Being a dude, he was all like, "Hey, look at my cool thumb..." 😜

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Speaking of pike...

Last week...

First time this has happened to me...

A rainbow took my dry fly and went off on a run. A fish about 2 lb. I got it turned and was bringing it back towards the boat.

Then something strange started happening. It went much more solid and was pulling me much harder – but slower – as if it had gone through a weedbed. But no weed on the line. I couldn’t get it up to see what was happening. Now dogged and very strong. Then the penny dropped. A large pike has grabbed it and is refusing to let go. If I had been on my 7-weight and 6 lb Maxima, I could probably have levered it up. I was putting what pressure I could on it, and it just wasn’t enough. So, the tug-of-war continued for about 10 minutes… Finally, the pike let go – it was maybe going to adjust its grip to get it head-first? I took my chance to whip the rainbow away from it quick! It came in like a wet rag! It had some lacerations and scuffing, which I think would heal OK. No ripping of its gut cavity, so no problem there. It was just whether it had been deprived of oxygen while being towed about. Its gills were going – just! Either it would be OK, or if not, the pike would finally get its breakfast – so we let it go - give it its chance...

Here is the poor guy after its ordeal.

He was just going along, minding his business, when he spotted a mayfly spinner and took a fancy to it... and then his world turned upside-down. But just when he thought things were bad... suddenly they got a whole, whole lot worse!

Col

easker1

I know a guy who had the dinghy he was in almost demolished by a 50 lb conger it got its tail up inside the riser and almost ripped out of the boat this was a 12ft.6in. clinker built boat,I caught a small Moray eel off Curacao, it was about 3 ft long, it could tie itself in knots I put a stick in its mouth to get the hook and in just crunched the stick, and spat out the hook, I was glad to see it go,we picked a banded sea snake out of the water in Trincomalee bay I had a look at it and then let it go, it was only years after that I found out they are one of the Most venomous snakes but they only have tiny fangs and a small mouth, so I was lucky, I didn't even think they were venomous, I once got my hand in an angler fishes mouth which caused me a visit to the Docs. and a course of anti biotics, at least we could skin and eat a decent conger, easker1

ejw

Having caught Pike to 20lb on fly and eels to 1/2lb, I would choose Pike every time (Conger is just a big eel). Spent more time cleaning my line with the eel than playing a 20lb pike !

PaulD

Having caught Pike to 20lb on fly and eels to 1/2lb, I would choose Pike every time (Conger is just a big eel). Spent more time cleaning my line with the eel than playing a 20lb pike !
You've never been in a small boat with a recently landed, large conger eel have you! :ROFLMAO: I've seen anglers climb onto a boat's wheel house roof to avoid 5 or 6ft of 50lb of lively conger.

Cap'n Fishy

Without wanting to appear to be a doubting Thomas - thats Bo!!ox;)
That was what they claimed in that programme where the dude got his thumb bitten off. I did a bit Googling, and yes, it is bollox... or more correctly it is coincidence...

Moray/Alien

They were maybe implying it was where Giger might have got his inspiration from... although apparently it was more along the lines of oral rape or something??? :unsure:

JCP

Lesser of two evils.Pike will undoubtedly badly shred your pinky but a spinning conger probably amputate it.To be honest have never come close preferring to use fit for purpose tools of the trade.Have met HR Giger due to being involved with a band who used his artwork and no idea regarding the Moray connection but the ''Sigourney Weaver''Alien was spawned in Gigers ''phallic'' Vaults.

JP

Cap'n Fishy

Lesser of two evils.Pike will undoubtedly badly shred your pinky but a spinning conger probably amputate it.To be honest have never come close preferring to use fit for purpose tools of the trade.Have met HR Giger due to being involved with a band who used his artwork and no idea regarding the Moray connection but the ''Sigourney Weaver''Alien was spawned in Gigers ''phallic'' Vaults.

JP
When I was Googling, I came across something about Giger's original having a phallus inside its mouth...

http://www.happehtheory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/GigerAlien-PenisMouth.jpg

.. something about oral rape? Maybe Ridley Scott had a hand in changing it to the moray-like pharyngeal jaws??? Seems a lot of the between the lines stuff in Alien was about interspecies rape???