Conger v Pike...

JCP

Can only tell you Col back then in the 1970's it was another dimension.They had a bar/restaurant in Switzerland which was ''different'':eek::unsure:.The ''Munsters'' had nothing on HR Giger's trappings.His manager was more like an undertakero_O.Google it up.It's all there.To a young man fresh out of Dorset it made an unforgettable impression:alien:

JP

sewinbasher

Having handled pike over 20lb and conger to around 50lbs I'd avoid congers at all times unless unhooking them with a T-bar outside the boat. I've also handled big spanish mackerel, barracuda, sailfish, wahoo and sharks and I'd take them all over a conger!

Cap'n Fishy

Can only tell you Col back then in the 1970's it was another dimension.They had a bar/restaurant in Switzerland which was ''different'':eek::unsure:.The ''Munsters'' had nothing on HR Giger's trappings.His manager was more like an undertakero_O.Google it up.It's all there.To a young man fresh out of Dorset it made an unforgettable impression:alien:

JP
One person's view of 'Alien'

Been doing more Googling, and it's surprising how many articles on 'Alien' refer to the 'pharyngeal jaws' of the xenomorph.

Pharyngeal jaws

Maybe it wasn't bollox after-all? :whistle:

hutch6

Conger.
I only fish freshwater so something has gone catastrophically wrong if I'm finger banging the oesophagus of a conger eel.

easker1

when you are on about spinning conger the Long liners used a conger hook with a built in swivel, conger used to be sold as rock turbot in places, I used to sell ours to the local Chippy where they went down a bundle, they are nice smoked but they twitch for while while you are doing it, you could have Quenelles en Brochette with the pike and a nice sorrel sauce, easker1

campsiefisher

First time fishing Loch Conn, it was a quiet day not much doing, around the middle of the Loch, then all of a sudden there was an almighty splash on the surface to the side of our boat, and a large eel and pike were fighting thrashing around on the surface.

Even our Ghillie had never seen such a sight, the three of us were dumbstruck, it's not a scene i'll ever forget.

Best regards
Jim

Wee Jimmy

First time fishing Loch Conn, it was a quiet day not much doing, around the middle of the Loch, then all of a sudden there was an almighty splash on the surface to the side of our boat, and a large eel and pike were fighting thrashing around on the surface.

Even our Ghillie had never seen such a sight, the three of us were dumbstruck, it's not a scene i'll ever forget.

Best regards
Jim
[/QUOTE]

Eel or sea lamprey Jim...? Seen many a grilse and sea trout leaping clear of the water trying to get rid of an attached lamprey.

campsiefisher

An eel definitely Jimmy, this must have been almost 20 years ago, we were out with Padraic who's dad invented the Kelly Kettle, (funnily enough i met him at the lake 2 years ago, when he was over with the Irish lads) he was kinda astonished too at the time.

It wasn't a very eventful day as he told us a few months earlier the Fisheries board had sweep netted the loch to get rid of the big pike for some fekkin crazy reason, and he reckoned it stopped trout from keeping up in the water layers, as they tended to move lower, now there were fewer big pike to scare them upwards.

An odd theory i thought at the time, but you never know.

bobnudd

I was out on the other year talking to some marine biologist who were doing a study of the lamprey in the Lough. They think they unique strain that doesn't run to sea. Lough Conn is the only place that caught lamprey

Wee Jimmy

An eel definitely Jimmy, this must have been almost 20 years ago, we were out with Padraic who's dad invented the Kelly Kettle, (funnily enough i met him at the lake 2 years ago, when he was over with the Irish lads) he was kinda astonished too at the time.

It wasn't a very eventful day as he told us a few months earlier the Fisheries board had sweep netted the loch to get rid of the big pike for some fekkin crazy reason, and he reckoned it stopped trout from keeping up in the water layers, as they tended to move lower, now there were fewer big pike to scare them upwards.

Aye some folk have some weird ideas about pike for sure Jim...🥴

willie_r

If you take out the big pike, you'll get a load of jacks.
The big ones eat the wee pike, and keep the numbers stable.

sewinbasher

They made this mistake on the Llandegfedd (South Wales) trout fishery where pike were illegally stocked in the late 60s. The staff were netting out the big girls every spring, several over 40lbs, and transferring them to coarse fisheries. The predictable result was an explosion in jacks so they quickly stopped the netting and this allowed the bigger fish to eat the jacks and soon it became the best big pike fishery in the UK, it still holds the rod caught record for UK pike. My claim to fame is that I fished the exact spot that the record came from the day before it was caught..... and blanked!!

rockslider

You've never been in a small boat with a recently landed, large conger eel have you! :ROFLMAO: I've seen anglers climb onto a boat's wheel house roof to avoid 5 or 6ft of 50lb of lively conger.
the problem is bringing it in the boat! we use a t bar to remove the hook while they are still in the water!

rockslider

I was out on the other year talking to some marine biologist who were doing a study of the lamprey in the Lough. They think they unique strain that doesn't run to sea. Lough Conn is the only place that caught lamprey
Hi Bob, Lamprey are found in numerous rivers and loughs in Ireland, not just lough Conn.

rockslider

The real problem was my mother . . . she loved to eat conger! With a big pan of conger being cooked in milk she was a very happy woman.
good on her, a sizeable one would probably keep her going a long time too! theres value for money! i love ling myself so normally keep them and return the congers

rockslider

Yes you get them around the UK as well but the one's in conn are unique as they don't run to sea. Or so they told us
interesting! will check up the surveys done here by inland fisheries it might mention it somewhere (is lough Conn connected to the Moy system?)