Cork handle DIY filler mix

bobfly2

Recommendations please for the best glue to use to mix with cork dust to make filler to pruce up some older rod handles. It presumably needs to soak into adjacent good cork but not be too hard and brittle.
Also, any known UK retail suppliers of U-40 cork sealer ?

Mrtrout

Recommendations please for the best glue to use to mix with cork dust to make filler to pruce up some older rod handles. It presumably needs to soak into adjacent good cork but not be too hard and brittle.
Also, any known UK retail suppliers of U-40 cork sealer ?
Firstly I wouldn’t use cork sealer it’s horribly stuff that makes the handle slippy. For filler just use waterproof PVA and cork dust mix it well apply proudly to the surface leave for 24 hours send sand back.
any wine cork rubbed against sand paper will make plenty of dust.
S.

icejohn

Guides and blanks have a pot of paste and Cork mix. Not cheap but always worked well for me.

icejohn

Is it a waterproof glue as I had tite bond repair a guitar yet got wet the break came appart.

I now use tite bond 3 and that water proof ish...

easker1

not Evostick I find it useless I use the Titebond 3 for all my wood gluing, in the old days in was Balsa cement used with Cork dust for the rod handles, easker1

Mies

I just use Exterior Polyfilla. Teak shade.
Filled a couple of handles years ago and they're still perfect.
Avoid the Pine one... it turns pink after a while o_O

easker1

I have a laminated Bow glued with TB3, I have shot it over the las 5 years with no probs , it's a cherry Greenhart and ash lamination, easker1

three rivers

I make up a paste from either cellulose dope or pale French Polish mixed with cork dust sieved through a tea-strainer to remove larger particles. The trouble with PVA glue, wood glue, etc. is it dried harder than the cork, so when you try to sand it back you end up taking off good cork before the filler. Cellulose dries much quicker than French Polish, so you can build up layers of filler in larger holes quickly.