Cork handle "repair"

GraylingFin

Hi everyone,
Some of the filler of my rod handle is starting to come off and I would like to address this before the cork starts crumbling.
Quick question, could I just put a bit of wood filler there (which I've got at home)or do I need to get a cork handle specific filler for that?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_110849.jpg
    IMG_20210620_110849.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210620_110838.jpg
    IMG_20210620_110838.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 33

GraylingFin

You can use Cork dust mixed with a pva adhesive. When dry just sandpaper it smooth.
Great, thanks for the tip. I guess the aim is to get a paste like consistency so I can get it into that space? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Mrtrout

Great, thanks for the tip. I guess the aim is to get a paste like consistency so I can get it into that space? Sorry if it is a dumb question.
I prefer wood filler myself, the cork dust and glue method doesn’t work well for me. I use a pine wood filler and if I want to darken it I add either wood stain or coffee powder. Mix well and apply an hour later gently rub down with fine wet and dry paper.
S.

glueman

For waterproof use D4 rated used to be B4 prior to the UK adopting EN numbers. PVA adhesive are not rated as D4 unless a hardener is used with them. USA grades are not the same specification.

GraylingFin

I prefer wood filler myself, the cork dust and glue method doesn’t work well for me. I use a pine wood filler and if I want to darken it I add either wood stain or coffee powder. Mix well and apply an hour later gently rub down with fine wet and dry paper.
S.
Super, thanks. I'll give it a go.

easker1

tite bond 3 is water proof I would use cork dust, as I have done in the past, I haven glued a fine sliver of cork over the area, easker1

GraylingFin

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll start with a bit of wood filler as that's what I've got and see how it goes.

sealine

use cork pit paste from Guides and blanks. follow that with a coat of cork seal to give the cork a tougher surface (dries clear)
..................or Brummer do a cork filler which is also good