Corona virus lockdown boredom !

corto maltese

It's two weeks so far I've been confined to the house, my wife is at great risk so I'm only going out for groceries, no work it's too risky being in contact with others. Now we've got another three weeks of lockdown, when will it end ?
I've filled my fly box with all I need for my local streams, if and when I might get a chance to fish them.
To be honest, now I'm bored sh*tless, the gardening s all done, yadda,yadda, yadda.
So......
Tomorrow I'm going to tie some pardigon nymphs but that's not going to keep me busy for long.
What I'm asking is for suggestions, inspiration, a challenge to improve my tying, I'm a bit of a beginner to be honest.
I mostly fish small rain fed streams, rocky, boulders, canyon type stuff on a small scale, spooky trout, an occasional pool or glide but mostly fast moving stuff, pocket water if you like.
I tend to fish often with a dry and a nymph below, it seems to work well for me.
I've not got a great hoard of materials, a lot of feathers and fur from the hunters in the village though, mostly natural stuff not much synthetic's.
What I'm asking is for suggestions that might challenge my capabilitys and keep me busy for the next few weeks.
Over to you fellas, what do you propose ?, do your worst, I'm up for it !

Thanks for your suggestions and stay safe.

Oh !, if your suggestions come with a step by step, so much the better, as I said, I'm really only a beginner, but I'm good at figuring sh*t out, thanks fellas 👍

Last edited:

corto maltese

Ha, I'm a bit pissed now !
Can you imagine a different pattern everyday for the next three weeks !
What a positive thing to take away from this shite, I'll be so good at the end of this and maybe less drunk 😂
C'Mon, give it up, what should I tie ?

Vermontdrifter

Try these, they will work well in the type of streams and rivera you are fishing plus deer hair in a dubbing loop is not easy to master.

lhomme

If you're into entomology as well, this book might interest you. I gave my copy away, otherwise I would have gladly sent it to you. Great pictures of all stadia and his own CDC tying techniques well explained. Not cheap, though, but a nice work to own and learn from.

jaybeegee

How about trying some of Ollie Edward’s Masterclass patterns? I’ve always been a bit daunted by them, but I’ll have a go in the next few days.

B

speytime

When I got back into fishing as a adult I started a bit of tying aswell, for the first year 18 months I really enjoyed it. I loved the challenge of Oliver Edwards style and the end product was very rewarding, now it feels like a task to sit down at the vice, i bought some odds and ends a few months back intending to tie some dries for the season ahead but just can't find the enthusiasm?

Has anyone else felt that way?

Al

Last edited:

anzac

While I like making things and working with my hands repetition soon leads me to boredom. I know that about myself and avoid such activities. That said, my sister thought fly tying necessities would be a good Christmas gift one year. Um, no. They were re-gifted within a fortnight.

I appreciate those who are -- and love the beauty of the flies they produce; but I am not, nor will I ever be a fly tyer.

jaybeegee

When I got back into fishing as a adult I started a bit of tying aswell, for the first year 18 months I really enjoyed it. I loved the challenge of Oliver Edwards style and the end product was very rewarding, now it feels like a task to sit down at the vice, i bought some odds and ends a few months back intending to tie some dries for the season ahead but just can't find the enthusiasm?

Has anyone else felt that way?

Al
Self motivation is a bit lacking at the minute Al. As the new season approached l was busy tying flies and preparing gear, walking the banks and generally looking forward to my fishing. Now we don’t know when we will next wet a line and I, for one, am having to make a real effort to set the vice up. Once I get started I’m Ok.
Brendan

JRT

I've been stocking up on saltwater grocery flies - Clousers, BT Deceivers, big Half/Halfs and tying up some bigger patterns for a mate in Australia.
Although God knows when we'll be able to get out next?