Coronavirus update - Support hub and helpline are now available

kingf000

It is vitally important that we all act responsibly in terms of the corona virus and stick to the basic principles of keeping at least 2 metres (about the length of two shopping trolleys) apart, refrain from touching communal objects without either disinfecting them first or washing/sanitizing your hands immediately afterwards, and self isolate as much as possible. However, I think the Angling Trust has got it wrong. Fly fishing is an excellent form of exercise and contributes to general wellbeing. Because the government used walking, running and cycling as specific examples of suitable exercise, this does not mean that other suitable forms of exercise are banned. However, this seems to be the interpretation of the Angling Trust and the majority of fisheries that have now closed. Fly fishing is almost exclusively a solitary activity and it is very easy to stick to the self isolation and hygene principles and still go fly fishing. In many fisheries one can pre-book and pay on line and they could limit the numbers fishing so that close contact is never an issue. Other fisheries where you have annual membership, you can just turn up and fish without coming into contact with anyone, though again some process of limiting numbers may be necessary. So I, personally, believe that fly fishing falls within the category of an acceptable form of exercise and that we should be allowed to fish within strict limits until told not to. However, I do accept that a government agreement to include fly fishing would be helpful.

It is vitally important that we all act responsibly in terms of the corona virus and stick to the basic principles of keeping at least 2 metres (about the length of two shopping trolleys) apart, refrain from touching communal objects without either disinfecting them first or washing/sanitizing your hands immediately afterwards, and self isolate as much as possible. However, I think the Angling Trust has got it wrong. Fly fishing is an excellent form of exercise and contributes to general wellbeing. Because the government used walking, running and cycling as specific examples of suitable exercise, this does not mean that other suitable forms of exercise are banned. However, this seems to be the interpretation of the Angling Trust and the majority of fisheries that have now closed. Fly fishing is almost exclusively a solitary activity and it is very easy to stick to the self isolation and hygene principles and still go fly fishing. In many fisheries one can pre-book and pay on line and they could limit the numbers fishing so that close contact is never an issue. Other fisheries where you have annual membership, you can just turn up and fish without coming into contact with anyone, though again some process of limiting numbers may be necessary. So I, personally, believe that fly fishing falls within the category of an acceptable form of exercise and that we should be allowed to fish within strict limits until told not to. However, I do accept that a government agreement to include fly fishing would be helpful.
I have to disagree with saying it is and isolated form of exercise.Sitting on a seat with a bung and a lure or blob under it waiting for it to bob is not exercise.Then others who have the same train of thought are there you move around the water and sit where they have just vacated and not cleaned ,means it is transferable.Do you know having booked your ticket how many others will be there?Is it an essential part of the advice from government.What happens if you break down,hurt yourself?What happens if you need the toilet?Other parties are now part of your problem.Dont tell me that everyone else has your same standards of cleanliness,look at how many have ignored advice. Unless you have a place to fish in your garden fine,but to travel to do it is non essential and to stand around with others is IMO irresponsible.

kingf000

Please look at the transcript of Boris’s speech on Monday. It says nothing about non essential travelling. It does say that you are allowed out for one piece of exercise a day, but it doesn’t say you can’t drive to the place of exercise. In fact, living in a town it would be far safer for me to drive into the countryside for my walk than walk round where I live. Regarding whether fly fishing is exercise, yes, sitting watching a bung is less of an exercise than firing out a lure, pulling it back then firing it out again. In my experience I’ve met very few who just sit there. And yes, allowing fishing does rely upon people using common sense and social responsibility that, sadly, many people recently have not shown. I do make the assumption that fly fishers are the kind of people who would act responsibly and if they don’t, they should be thrown off the water and banned. Avoiding communal places would also be possible and advisable. Where I fish there are no toilets, so the bushes get fertilised. Fishing in places that others have fished - a point I hadn’t considered but that is no different from walking where others have walked, or sitting on a park bench. If you are worried about that, just stick to one place and keep the touching of the surroundings to a minimum. One shouldn’t underestimate the dangers of the virus, but it isn’t like you’re typical Russian nerve agent.

Please look at the transcript of Boris’s speech on Monday. It says nothing about non essential travelling. It does say that you are allowed out for one piece of exercise a day, but it doesn’t say you can’t drive to the place of exercise. In fact, living in a town it would be far safer for me to drive into the countryside for my walk than walk round where I live. Regarding whether fly fishing is exercise, yes, sitting watching a bung is less of an exercise than firing out a lure, pulling it back then firing it out again. In my experience I’ve met very few who just sit there. And yes, allowing fishing does rely upon people using common sense and social responsibility that, sadly, many people recently have not shown. I do make the assumption that fly fishers are the kind of people who would act responsibly and if they don’t, they should be thrown off the water and banned. Avoiding communal places would also be possible and advisable. Where I fish there are no toilets, so the bushes get fertilised. Fishing in places that others have fished - a point I hadn’t considered but that is no different from walking where others have walked, or sitting on a park bench. If you are worried about that, just stick to one place and keep the touching of the surroundings to a minimum. One shouldn’t underestimate the dangers of the virus, but it isn’t like you’re typical Russian nerve agent.
As said if everyone else decides to have the same train of thought,i doubt very much you will be walking around on your own.It was on the news yesterday ,golf and fishing is non essential.Lets ope you wouldn't need a number 2 in the bushes.Walking is different to touching with hands,you dont was feet all the time for 20 seconds.Russian nerve agent,this is world wide now killing people,do you think its not serious enough that they are building a field hospital for 4000 beds and trying to get another 250000 to help out tat this is set to get worse and all that some are worried about is getting out fishing! Sorry but that is a totally selfish attitude to take and we are all in the same boat.I closed my fishery and wont get any income nor uni credit ,but I take the advice seriously being in the high risk. It only takes one person to infect others.

wobbly face

You might be able to fish in isolation, but if using your car to travel then give a thought about having to fill it up (unless all electric and you can charge at home). Petrol pumps are one of the worse things for getting contamination/CV.
We've shut our club fishery. There are people who live close by so could walk there, this would be unfair to those that have to travel , re avoid all non essential travel. Okay fly fishing naturally keeps the distant element but what about having to open gates, climb fences or such.

tingvollr

Big debate up here in Shetland where we have 24 cases out of a population of around 22,000. The police are saying it is OK to go out on your own fishing for your period of exercise. I find that totally irresponsible as you are risking both yourself and others who may stop in the same layby and climb and open metal gates etc spreading the virus more widely. Orkney have closed their fishing responsibly but I am sure there will be some down there that will want to "exercise in their gyms" like some are doing up here. I am in a fortunate position in that I can take a rod out of my garage, cross a road, climb a fence and fish three different lochs and return home in a few hours but since this coronavirus came I have not fished. We are in a battle and as this virus mutates (there are already 2 strains), I would rather spend my time helping in my community than spending my time selfishly persuing a most enjoyable pastime. As others have said up thread, filling up your vehicle at the pumps is one way of picking up this virus so driving around looking for isolated lochs to fish is both selfish and irresponsible. Stay safe guys and stay inside!

ohanzee

I'd say picking up your rod, crossing the road, climbing a fence and fishing three different lochs without coming in contact with anyone is perfectly responsible.

Going to get bread is going to be the challenge and most likely point of transmission.

ohanzee

Same here, there's always a nice aroma around with the home made batch & such-like.
My mother used to make bread, two loafs at a time, one for the cupboard and one sliced open still steaming with butter melting and the lot scoffed before it cooled:)

Last edited:

kingf000

Just out of interest, I do bake all my own bread! Luckily I always keep about 5 bags of flour so I've got enough to last me for a few weeks, by which time the panic buying may, hopefully, have died down. One still has to go out to do a weekly shop though.
I'm sorry if some of you think I am being selfish and irresponsible, and I admit that I have probably totally underestimated the thoughtlessness and lack of knowledge of basic hygene within the population as a whole. I spent 15 years of my working life tackling infectious diseases so for me, basic hygene is second nature. However, I would still argue that it is widely accepted that fly fishing is an excellent form of exercise (one basis of the Angling Trust argument), except for those lazy people who sit watching a bung, and by applying common sense and basic hygene principles, fly fishing is no more risky than walking, running or cycling. Fly fishing is the only exercise that I do (other then kneading bread) that I enjoy, so yes, I am biased, but probably not alone. The accepted exercise activities could also involve other people and result in cross contamination, for example opening gates, sitting on benches, injuring yourself, falling off your bike or the bike braking down or getting a puncture miles from home. No form of exercise is totally risk free and all I'm trying to say is that fly fishing is no worse than these. As for filling up with petrol, why not simply use the gloves that are normally provided at petrol stations then discarding them afterwards? or take your own? In winter I wear gloves to fish to keep my hands warm, why not continue to do that to reduce risk of infection while fishing? Simple!
I think one of the issues with the Angling Trust letter is that they are trying to represent the whole of angling, from the solitary fly fisherman standing in the middle of a river to the carp fisherman who walks 10ft from his car, throws out his ledger and sits there for hours, so their argument about good exercise may not be accepted.
Everyone agrees that it is essential that we get this virus attack under control, and if you think about it, without a vaccine we need have at least 40% of the population infected before the herd effect starts making a difference, that is about 24 million people to be infected! So we need to take a balanced approach with measures to reduce the infection rate until we get the vaccine, hopefully later this year. Because people weren't taking the infection seriously, the government has had to apply very stringent rules to get people to take notice. Hopefully, in the next few weeks we will start to see the effects of this. If we don't, I dread to think what will happen. If it does work, there will then be some slackening of the rules to allow the economy to function and life to return to as near normal as possible. Hopefully we will have mounted a sufficiently good argument for the case of fly fishing for that to be one of the specifically allowed activities.

glueman

So instead of possibly keeping the Virus in your home area you bring it out into the countryside to spread in an area with not as many resources as the town

Ok so if we allow fly fishing,every Stillwater as an example opens up and anglers go,how is that both protecting others lives and taking exercise.?Its just a normal day fishing.Just remember not everyone is fortunate to be able to have a river they can stand in the middle of.The virus lasts 72 hours on objects so unless you can float,you will come in contact with some object.
Those gloves you wear in winter how do you put them on ,do they just drop onto your hands?

kingf000

OK. Lets get down to the nitty gritty. This isn't just about me. As the Angling Trust wrote in their letter, fishing isn't just a sport but a huge industry with many peoples livelihoods depending upon it, as well as being beneficial to the health and wellbeing of those participating, clearly something that the government feels is important. If fishing is specifically banned (which currently it isn't) for a significant length of time, we would probably see the demise of many fisheries, hatcheries and others associated with the industry, to the long term detriment of the sport. So anyone arguing against allowing fishing and putting obstacles in the way are undermining the work of the Angling Trust and contributing to destroying the sport. As fishermen, is that what you want? So rather than negative comments, which fly off the cuff with ease in this Forum, why don't I get more positive suggestions towards making the sport safer in the current climate, to support the Angling Trust and the fishing community? As I've said before, fly fishing could easily be as safe as walking, running and cycling just by using common sense. We just need to clarify the criteria that makes it safe, so those with little common sense have clear rules to follow.

Latest posts