Correct Irish Shrimp dressing?

richfish1

Don't know if anyone can help, but I'm after the correct (original) dressing for an Irish Shrimp salmon fly, there seems to be many different sorts and I don't know which is the 'proper' one.:confused:
My other-halfs boss wants 3 dozen of them tied up, so want to make sure they're right!
Thanks,Rich.

richfish1

That's not an Irish shrimp pattern.more like a Cascade.:eek:
If I was going to tie 3doz for my boss i'd make sure I knew what pattern he wanted.There are many shrimp patterns.and they are all correct.
Have a look here.
search

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll print that little lot off and give it to mrs to take to work. He can pick what it is he wants from that. Thanks again:)

Mark Morton

Had a quick look through all of my books and there are 'variations'
Suggest you ask him for a sample.
Jimmy and Gloria Youngers "The Book" does not list one, only the Irish Hairy Mary
You need a sample for sure.

budgie

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Bann Special was the original Irish shrimp pattern. But like all good patterns it has many variations and I woud not be surprised if every Irish river has its own prefered variant.

shuck raider

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Bann Special was the original Irish shrimp pattern. But like all good patterns it has many variations and I woud not be surprised if every Irish river has its own prefered variant.

I think you'll find that Curry's Red Shrimp pre-dates the Bann Special. Pat Curry of Coleraine was using this pattern in the 1930s and it was in fairly general use in the North and West of Ireland by the 1940s. Curry modified existing patterns such as the Wye Grub and Usk Grub and other Irish tyers quickly adapted his technique on standard salmon flies, for example E. C. Heaney's Secret Weapon which is, in effect, a Jock Scott shrimp.

For a comprehensive list of Irish Shrimp patterns and their dressings, have a look at 'Shrimp & Spey Flies for Salmon & Steelhead' by Mann & Gillespie :thumbs:

richfish1

Thanks for all your help chaps, I now realise what a stupid question I asked! I will openly admit I know as much about Salmon flies as my dads dog:eek:
When I was asked to make an Irish Shrimp, I thought I'll look the pattern up and just copy it...... how wrong I was:whistle:
I've now asked Mrs richfish to grab the said fly her gaffer wants out of his flybox and copy it. I don't think he realised himself how many variations there were.

sonnaghan

That's not a Curry's Red Shrimp. Look up EJ Malone's book or Peter O'Reilly's. YON THING THAT WAS POSTED IS A HAIRY MONSTER

easker1

One Irish pattern is the Delphi, anothe shrimp pattern has a hackle tied in at the butt and one at the head with a silver body black hackle, the delphi is like this with a Jungle cock hackle, similar to a wye grub, hope this helps
easker1