Fly Fishing Forum banner

Correct way.?

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  GEK79 
G
#1 ·
So having read lots of opinions I'm just wondering what's the best way to C+R fish when fishing from above the lake..
If your high up will have dry hands..
Will have to throw fish back..
Is there ways round this..
I've tried to show the type of scenario I'm talking about.. There are a few spots on this lough where I can get wet hands and put fish into the lough.. But not many.
Gary

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice wee lochs Gary ,look as if they will be hard going to fish from the bank though.All that type of scrub is a nightmare for snagging your fly line .You would have to use a line tray or gather it up in your retrieving hand.Maybe a long handled landing net to get the fish into your hands in the first place.The lochs look good for a float tube but that might be a step too far.

#5 ·
Use barbless hooks and give slack to allow the fish to get off or, if using a single fly, use the rod's top ring (carefully) as a disgorger for the smaller fish. Not advised for bigger fish as you risk snapping the tip.

Reactions: Seb600
#6 ·
Will you have a net to net the fish? You can wet your hands on that before handling and lower the fish back. I have 2 piece 7ft coarse fishing landing net, a bit of a faff to carry around but I prefer it to the one available for game anglers.

Steve

G
#7 ·
Nice challenge, Gary. Looks like it has deep margins, your fish may be close in. Fishable from the bank, with some effort (waders?), a line tray and a long handle net with a sponge attached to wet your hands. I'd be on it in a jiffy, especially because the place seems deserted.

#8 ·
I agree, that looks like a lovely spot Gary. I'd go along the route of an extendable landing net handle with a sponge to wet hands. If you search for lure fishing net handles particularly street fishing ones you'll find lots that are very light weight and telescopic. They use them on the continent for lure fishing from high up docks and things. They are carbon so not heavy and I'm sure you could find one for not mega money Gary.

#15 ·
If its Donegal it will be raining 90% of the time.
Good chance that the ground will damp enough to give your hands a dampening.
As far as returning goes Id imagine that the fish are usually half pound or less with the occasional pounder, I would simply chuck them back in - they are pretty hardy compared to their big lump rainbow cousins.

Nice bit of water - enjoy.

#23 ·
So having read lots of opinions I'm just wondering what's the best way to C+R fish when fishing from above the lake..
If your high up will have dry hands..
Will have to throw fish back..
Is there ways round this..
I've tried to show the type of scenario I'm talking about.. There are a few spots on this lough where I can get wet hands and put fish into the lough.. But not many.
Gary
Fish barbless. Get the fish into side so you can see it/photo it still in water.
Release the pressure on rod, let loose some line allowing total slack, 9 times out of 10, fish will self release under slack line. 10 th time? frying pan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.