Corrib video

bignedkelly

Hopefully this link works ok - I'm not the best on the computer I'm afraid.
Thought it was worth a watch so put it up for others to enjoy.
It is in Gaelic but there is a button down in the bottom right corner to turn on the subtitles.

Enjoy

shortcircuit

Great video, couple of lovely trout seen also. When all this craziness is over, Corrib is definitely on the list.

Wee Jimmy

Brings back happy memories,we hired boats from Tom Doc at his place in Corr na Mona, great guy.I felt totally at home on Corrib even though it was my first visit,it’s a trout fisherman’s paradise ..👍

Vermontdrifter

Great video but dumb question on my part. Is it that good an idea to stand up while playing and netting the fish? The boats look stable but there is a bit of chop on the water in some of those shots. I’ve only fished from boats a couple of times is why I’m asking.

diawl bach

Beautiful, thanks for that. Too good for a small screen, I'll cast it on the TV tonight.

mackiia1

Great video but dumb question on my part. Is it that good an idea to stand up while playing and netting the fish? The boats look stable but there is a bit of chop on the water in some of those shots. I’ve only fished from boats a couple of times is why I’m asking.
Those Lads are well used to being in a boat - and ,that's practically a flat calm for the Corrib.:)
Nice video though - I can't wait to get up there.

Last edited:

jbe3

Many thanks bignedkelly, really enjoyed watching this. It brought back happy memories of mayfly fishing in the west of Ireland. Also had the pleasure of meeting Tom Doc at the Lake of Menteith a few years back.

parrot

Lovely. Certainly lifted my spirits. Good to see Tom Doc, John Somerville (wearing a Tunbridge Wells FFS cap) and Kathy. Even better to see some beautiful fish in beautiful surroundings.

We were due to go out in a month's time - did think of deferring it to September but eventually decided to play safe delay it to next May.

BobP

These are big boats. 19' long is normal for Ireland compared to 12-13' for boats you'll get on an English reservoir. In general though, I would avoid standing up in any boat out on a big lake if possible, but sometimes you have no choice if a big fish bolts round the back of the boat.

mackiia1

First time I have heard what I assume is Gaelic spoken as a first language.
There are several regions in Ireland where Irish (Gaelic) is spoken as the first language. The regions are called Gaeltacht areas.
The Irish Government is trying to promote the learning of Irish in non Gaeltacht areas - and many Gaelscoil ( Irish Speaking Primary Schools) are now operating throughout the country.
In the Gaelscoils , students learn all the different subjects through Irish - they are becoming increasingly popular as parents realise that it is important to preserve the Irish language.

Fredmoore

There are several regions in Ireland where Irish (Gaelic) is spoken as the first language. The regions are called Gaeltacht areas.
The Irish Government is trying to promote the learning of Irish in non Gaeltacht areas - and many Gaelscoil ( Irish Speaking Primary Schools) are now operating throughout the country.
In the Gaelscoils , students learn all the different subjects through Irish - they are becoming increasingly popular as parents realise that it is important to preserve the Irish language.
Yes it’s a good thing in my opinion,I am embarrassed to say that although I can string a sentence together if I have to,I am very far away from being a fluent welsh speaker .Although I am born and bred in North Wales,It is only when you drive into the hills that Welsh becomes prevalent

Gdog

Thanks Ned, I watched the video while having my breakfast, very enjoyable.

Mies

Lovely video. It certainly increased the craving to get back out there.

I had only one tiny niggle. There didn't appear to be much wetting of hands before handling the fish. Maybe I'm missing something, no?

Last edited:

suzuki15hp

That's my end of the lake I have my boat, and I know all of fine chaps on the video. I'm a member of the club they all belong to. Tom Doc and Mike Shanks ran a fly tying class over the winter months in Cornamona for club members, which was great craic.

I can't wait for the lockdown to clear and get out there.

sewinbasher

These are big boats. 19' long is normal for Ireland compared to 12-13' for boats you'll get on an English reservoir. In general though, I would avoid standing up in any boat out on a big lake if possible, but sometimes you have no choice if a big fish bolts round the back of the boat.
Not only that, they are well ballasted and sit down in the water as well as any boat?

mackiia1

Yes it’s a good thing in my opinion,I am embarrassed to say that although I can string a sentence together if I have to,I am very far away from being a fluent welsh speaker .Although I am born and bred in North Wales,It is only when you drive into the hills that Welsh becomes prevalent
I'm the same Fred - I was able to hold a basic conversation in Irish when I was in school but as the saying goes - Use it or Lose it.
I still have a few phrases and can understand bits and pieces but having a conversation now in Irish would be a big struggle.