Fly Fishing Forum banner

Corrib video

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  catskill 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Great video but dumb question on my part. Is it that good an idea to stand up while playing and netting the fish? The boats look stable but there is a bit of chop on the water in some of those shots. I’ve only fished from boats a couple of times is why I’m asking.

#6 · (Edited)
Great video but dumb question on my part. Is it that good an idea to stand up while playing and netting the fish? The boats look stable but there is a bit of chop on the water in some of those shots. I've only fished from boats a couple of times is why I'm asking.
Those Lads are well used to being in a boat - and ,that's practically a flat calm for the Corrib.:)
Nice video though - I can't wait to get up there.

#8 ·
Lovely. Certainly lifted my spirits. Good to see Tom Doc, John Somerville (wearing a Tunbridge Wells FFS cap) and Kathy. Even better to see some beautiful fish in beautiful surroundings.

We were due to go out in a month's time - did think of deferring it to September but eventually decided to play safe delay it to next May.

#12 ·
There are several regions in Ireland where Irish (Gaelic) is spoken as the first language. The regions are called Gaeltacht areas.
The Irish Government is trying to promote the learning of Irish in non Gaeltacht areas - and many Gaelscoil ( Irish Speaking Primary Schools) are now operating throughout the country.
In the Gaelscoils , students learn all the different subjects through Irish - they are becoming increasingly popular as parents realise that it is important to preserve the Irish language.

G
#17 ·
That's my end of the lake I have my boat, and I know all of fine chaps on the video. I'm a member of the club they all belong to. Tom Doc and Mike Shanks ran a fly tying class over the winter months in Cornamona for club members, which was great craic.

I can't wait for the lockdown to clear and get out there.

#18 ·
Loved it and it bought back memories of a lovely place.

#21 ·
Is there any news as to when the fishing on Corrib will be open again Suzuki? Or are you in the dark as much as all of us ? I've decided and have been given the green light by her indoors that once all this subsides if it ever does that I'm hoping to book a tip over. I was over 3 years ago and cant wait to get over again this year - hopefully.

Paul

G
#23 ·
Is there any news as to when the fishing on Corrib will be open again Suzuki? Or are you in the dark as much as all of us ? I've decided and have been given the green light by her indoors that once all this subsides if it ever does that I'm hoping to book a tip over. I was over 3 years ago and cant wait to get over again this year - hopefully.

Paul
None of the public fishing is closed in Ireland yet, but you must stick to HSE guidelines in respect of 2km parameter and exercise time guidance.

There are quite a few of the locals who live on the lake, or well within the 2km parameter going out for a spin.

#26 ·
Boats on Anglian and ST ressies are 15 &16' feet in length and are stable enough to fish in very bad weather. Before health & safety became a feature you could take a boat out on Rutland in some hairy weather, then correctly life jackets became compulsory and now the boats are not allowed if the forecast has a wind speed of over 20 or 22 mph, gusts over that have to be allowed for but the days of setting off in to a gale are long gone and given the length and design of the Corrib boats I imagine their a lot more stable than the Rutland boats but then Corrib dwarfs Rutland so it makes sense their boats are bigger & better.

#27 ·
Finally got round to watching it after talking to a member here about Corrib :) What a lovely film, superbly shot and encapsulating the essence of what is obviously a very special place. A few things, questions, observations from me. That almost "table top" mountain in the background dominates - anyone been up it and does it have a special significance? As mentioned by others on here, that standing up in the boats does make me nervous. Finally, is it just me but if I was in a boat on a wave like that for a few hours I'd still be in it for days afterwards with the rocking motion. Maybe I'd just need to find my sea legs.

#28 ·
Honestly as a few others have said that was as good as flat calm. In a big blow the bow would smash in to oncoming waves sending water all over the occupants, especially the guy or girl on the engine and the difference between the peak and trough can reach 6 foot or more. And yes, if you have not been on a boat for a while even the motion of a moderate swell will stay with you after you tied the boat up but it will always be gone by the time you get up the next day

#36 ·
Thanks for posting this. I saw it when it first aired but it was great to watch. I know Tom Doc well and was due to go up in April/May. Lovely to hear native Irish speakers, its a shame after 13 years or whatever of learning it in school I would struggle to string a sentence together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.