Corrosion on reel seat on rod

hooferinsane

This is on a Greys kielder two piece fly rod which is over 20 years old. Rod is in pristine condition, has been stored away. The reel seating and locking ring and the stop that goes into the top section has however developed corrosion, white in nature which makes me think it’s possibly an aluminium seating? WD40 has resolved the initial corrosion, ie can move the locking ring, but just wondering is there anything that can be used to prevent further corrosion if indeed it is aluminium.

02E2BD63-D2E3-44DC-AF1D-F0E79CF71E3A.jpeg27D5F13F-9803-431A-A0D5-035433A79980.jpegEE75A3F8-0C2B-4681-83B4-BD003B1E0E38.jpeg

Last edited:

icejohn

Generally speaking oxidation on aluminium does happen and like you said 20 years old. I would grease the threads throughly if u going for long term storage again as the grease will cut off the oxygen supply.

Below Google says

Aluminum doesn't contain iron or steel so it doesn't rust – but it is prone to corrosion when exposed to weathering and atmospheric oxygen. The process of aluminum corrosion is known as oxidation. The resulting aluminum oxide is a thin, hard layer that actually protects the metal from further corrosion.

anzac

It does sound like aluminium oxidation in areas where the anodising is worn. The best way to prevent it is to keep it covered with grease or another rust preventative.

Scotty90

Oxidation has occurred but the worst is the pitting on the ferrule plug, where the corrosion has went through the aluminium oxide and has ate into the aluminium, Clean it with paraffin if you can get some, and coat in light grease once the paraffin has been removed. Corroded aluminium alloys are very difficult to restore.

Last edited:

4wings

A little off the wall, I polished molybdenum open gear lube into my sea fishing reel seats and it turned them a slight bronzy colour, but I had no more corrosion problems (they were still rinsed between uses)
until I sold them on a few years back.
Why open gear lube? I had nothing else handy at the time.

Latest posts