Cortland Sylk line

airsprite

Has anyone used the Sylk lines made by Cortland?
I realise these are plastic lines, but are supposed to be a thinner diameter, more like real Silk lines.
I need a 6 weight line for a Bamboo rod with small guides, and can't really justify buying another silk line just for occasional use.

Steve

loxie

I like them, I've not tried them on a wooden rod but they are my go to floater for trout.

kerryjordan

Yes - I have a 3 and 5 weight. I bought them after a trip to Czechia guided by Jan Siman who was using the Sylk line.
The lines are thin for their weight, seem to have very little memory and float well. I have a Terenzio silk line which I like but requires a bit more care and is a bit noisy when casting compared to the Sylk line.
In short - recommended!

airsprite

Thanks lads, that sounds very positive.
I've had a look on the classic fly rod forum, mostly positive reviews there too.
A few said they thought they were on the light side for their stated size, but many really liked them.
I would like to try a used one but haven't seen any on Ebay etc.

Steve

stevel

There are also the 406 lines which are supposed to be thinner as well, and a Wulff bamboo line.
I've not tried either. I used to use real silk on bamboo, moved back to plastic and have ordered a Yano silk for my glass rod, but it's in a long waiting queue (12 months)

airsprite

Yes, i did see the other lines too, i think the 406 are only available in USA, the Wulff lines look interesting too.
I have a really nice 5 weight Cadno silk line which i was hoping would be right for the rod, but its just not working the rod enough. I have found over the years, for my cane rods to come alive they need to be fully loaded up.

Steve

stevel

Yes, i did see the other lines too, i think the 406 are only available in USA, the Wulff lines look interesting too.
I have a really nice 5 weight Cadno silk line which i was hoping would be right for the rod, but its just not working the rod enough. I have found over the years, for my cane rods to come alive they need to be fully loaded up.

Steve
Apparently from the 406 site Nico (Yamame rods) is a dealer.
Cadno is now closed I believe, the ones I had were quite stiff and required loads of breaking in. One guy I know threw his straight into the bin.
My modern bamboos use half weight plastic lines like an MPX or Grand but they recover much more quickly than classic tapers, even being semi parabolic.

Overmiwadrers

Tried them and dont like them. I have 3 , 4 and 5 weights and never use them nowadays this thread is good reminder to get rid. I think they actually fish a weight lighter than stated. So concur with previous comments. I have a Wulff bamboo in a three weight which I find excellent , I also have a good selection of silk lines , from moxon/ terenzio . phoenix and Thebault, they are all miles better than the Sylk in my opinion. Especially the Phoenix. Stunning line , At risk of been attacked by the mob the Sunray small stream line is excellent on cane , very small diameter for weight. Casts very nicely .

O M W

pati

I like the Cortland Silk for short sessions or when I don’t want to use my silk line for a reason or another (typically when it has not fully dried from the day before, or if it S raining all day).

I use the Cortland Sylk DT in #3 and looking to buy a #4. Theyare true to weight but have a fairly long front taper hence why people may find them light. I tend to prefer underlining my rods (both cane and carbon) though, not sure why but that’s generally a preference… If anything below 5wt I use either Silk or Sylk (and sometimes TT).

pati

Tried them and dont like them. I have 3 , 4 and 5 weights and never use them nowadays this thread is good reminder to get rid. I think they actually fish a weight lighter than stated. So concur with previous comments. I have a Wulff bamboo in a three weight which I find excellent , I also have a good selection of silk lines , from moxon/ terenzio . phoenix and Thebault, they are all miles better than the Sylk in my opinion. Especially the Phoenix. Stunning line ,

O M W

happyto buy your 4wt if it’s a DT in good condition, just PM me ;-)

Agree on Phoenix being superior to Terenzio and Thebault too ;-) That said the Phoenix needs a little bit longer breaking in than the Terenzio but at their peak I prefer the Phoenix.

Overmiwadrers

happyto buy your 4wt if it’s a DT in good condition, just PM me ;-)

Agree on Phoenix being superior to Terenzio and Thebault too ;-) That said the Phoenix needs a little bit longer breaking in than the Terenzio but at their peak I prefer the Phoenix.
Will check tonight , According to my spreadsheet of my reels and lines I should have 2/3/4 and 5 weights . Cant recall which reel spool its on.

O M W

Overmiwadrers

I like the Cortland Silk for short sessions or when I don’t want to use my silk line for a reason or another (typically when it has not fully dried from the day before, or if it S raining all day).

I use the Cortland Sylk DT in #3 and looking to buy a #4. Theyare true to weight but have a fairly long front taper hence why people may find them light. I tend to prefer underlining my rods (both cane and carbon) though, not sure why but that’s generally a preference… If anything below 5wt I use either Silk or Sylk (and sometimes TT).
I can recommend the Artificial Silk Terenzio. pretty much maintenance free....

O M W

pati

Will check tonight , According to my spreadsheet of my reels and lines I should have 2/3/4 and 5 weights . Cant recall which reel spool its on.

O M W

Keep me posted, I might even rod you of both your 4 and 5wt!!!

airsprite

Apparently from the 406 site Nico (Yamame rods) is a dealer.
Cadno is now closed I believe, the ones I had were quite stiff and required loads of breaking in. One guy I know threw his straight into the bin.
My modern bamboos use half weight plastic lines like an MPX or Grand but they recover much more quickly than classic tapers, even being semi parabolic.
Interesting that the Cadno lines are not thought to be any good, I have a 5 weight and I’ve always been pleased with it. I bought it 2nd hand so maybe the breaking in had been already done.

Steve

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
Interesting that the Cadno lines are not thought to be any good, I have a 5 weight and I’ve always been pleased with it. I bought it 2nd hand so maybe the breaking in had been already done.

Steve
I had one of the Cadno lines in a 5# , it was a little bumpy in places but apart from that it was a nice line . I moved it on because I got a Yano in the same weight.