Cost of rods

squimp

I think quite a few are missing the point. Top of the range match rods are generally 13ft and have around 16 lined rings. The blank is made from the same materials as the best fly rods, the fittings probably cost as much or more, there is more whipping, more material yet a fly rod with half the materials can cost double the price.

A top match angler will demand exactly the same characteristics in a rod as a top class fly angler.

Conversely a top class match pole will coat £2K + and you can spend another £1K on spares.

It does boil down to supply and demand however there are some rods out there at a reasonable price that are absolute gems. If you did a blind test some anglers would be shocked by the findings.

Better materials, quality of carbon and expensive fitting don't always make a better rod.

When we developed the Shakespeare Mach 3 Micro Pellet Waggler rod, most people who tried the prototype thought it would sell at around £150 as it was superior in every way to the rods available from the competition at the time. They initially sold for around £80 discounted and dropped further in price after a year. It's one of the best rods I've ever used in any form of fishing and even today, 8 or 9 years later it still puts a grin on my face every time I use it.
that is very interesting.

i acquired a Mach 3 pellet waggler rod a few years ago and it cost me £60. I actually ended up with two, but that is another story.

I also feel it is one of the best fishing rods of any description that I have ever used. It does its job particularly well. I keep telling coarse fishing acquaintances to buy one.

it is only the second Shakespeare rod I have ever owned. The other - a Superteam Quattro light feeder rod is still in use today (Probably bought circa 2000) and has landed numbers of 2lb roach. Another lovely rod. But it was expensive - about £90 I recall !

boisker

What is that meant to be/prove?
Only a complete moron would stand up in a boat waving their arms around like that.
Nice post... I believe Paul speaks highly of you :)

i haven’t met Paul... so perhaps he is a moron, although from online discussions with him he certainly never struck me as one... certainly a maverick, obsessed with fly fishing...

but perhaps you’re right...

.....although that moron will undoubtedly out fish and cast you whilst stood on one leg, casting on his ‘weaker’ side after a 24 hr drinking bender😂;)😂

petevicar

I actually know Paul reasonably well. He is definitely not a moron. He is obsessed with fly fishing and casting and has spent the last few years living in the Malaysian Jungle, fishing.
He is one of the best casters in the world.

nymphist

I actually know Paul reasonably well. He is definitely not a moron. He is obsessed with fly fishing and casting and has spent the last few years living in the Malaysian Jungle, fishing.
Paul is definitely not a moron and is a bit crazy as any decent fly angler should be , and that rod of his bends and stops precisely in the best possible way, i guess not many fly rods will achieve that in the right hand.

petevicar

Paul is definitely not a moron and is a bit crazy as any decent fly angler should be , and that rod of his bends and stops precisely in the best possible way, i guess not many fly rods will achieve that in the right hand.
I have seen Paul cast with all sorts of strange rods. Sometimes they were put together fro a number of different sections. What I mean is the top section was a Sage the middle an Orvis, the next Lookis. Etc. He adjusts his cast to the rod. What you see on that video is a Sexyloops Hot Torpedo that Paul himself designed.

nymphist

I have seen Paul cast with all sorts of strange rods. Sometimes they were put together fro a number of different sections. What I mean is the top section was a Sage the middle an Orvis, the next Lookis. Etc. He adjusts his cast to the rod. What you see on that video is a Sexyloops Hot Torpedo that Paul himself designed.
i was thinking its the hot torpedo, although i never saw this rod in flash and back at the time there were only a few prototype rods as far as i remember. I am not that advanced at the moment to use sections from 3 different rods but after i broke 3 or 4 two sections rods i found that some sections may fit to a different rod, so now i am a uuuge fan of the 2 pcs carbon rods - when you brake one , you may find the unbroken section to fit another rod, so now i prefer fishing 2 pcs carbon rods as far as carbon is concerned, but even before to brake some rods, i preferred two pcs because i am too lazy to waste time assembling 3 or 4 pcs, and probably if i have enough room to store and transport rods in the car, i would like a one pc rod.

BobP

No he isn't, I am, and if it isn't me it's a mate of mine, or a mate of his, or it could be the bloke three streets away.

The only way you can prove that statement is if you have seen this guy up against every other fly caster in the world so, it is more than a little pointless.

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
I came across this article by Paul Arden at Sexyloops. It's a barely disguised propaganda vehicle for his own rods but it does give a glimpse behind the smoke and mirrors of the industry, confirming what has been said here many times.

He goes on to talk about those, like him, that design their rods rather than choose them, but he actually creates quite a problematic message about these rods

So he's telling us that 'top of the line rods’, are built to the personal preference of the designer and they can't agree between them what's best. (He actually means 'some' top of the line rods because many 'top of the line rods' are not designed and built by the 'top of the line' brand, but never mind.)

What he's actually saying is that you have to have the same casting ability and casting style as the designer to fully appreciate the rod. And I seriously doubt whether many here come even close to having anything like the skill necessary to appreciate these nuances. Paul apparently spends an average of 300 days casting and has done for years. I don't.

this is why Folk should try fly rods before they buy them......
Common sense prevails!

petevicar

No he isn't, I am, and if it isn't me it's a mate of mine, or a mate of his, or it could be the bloke three streets away.

The only way you can prove that statement is if you have seen this guy up against every other fly caster in the world so, it is more than a little pointless.
I said one of not the best.
You should look at the results of the world championships.
There are also a few people on here who are also some of the best.
I don't know you Bob so I can't comment on your ability or that of your brother in law.

nymphist

I said one of not the best.
You should look at the results of the world championships.
There are also a few people on here who are also some of the best.
I don't know you Bob so I can't comment on your ability or that of your brother in law.
No need to see any results of championships, the line control and the rod speed on the Paul's video are amazing. And the rods behaves like a swiss clock.

squimp

I’ve had a few casting lessons in my time with some very well regarded instructors.

the only one that sticks in my mind is the 20 minutes I once engineered with Paul Arden at a Game Fair. He completely reverse engineered my casting and left me with a handful of clear things to work on. Brilliant.

skajtrout

Absolutely, so like I’ve always said; get a Shakey ‘n’ chill. Life is short.

Skaj

tangled

He's gone all 'wild man of woods'. I keep thinking of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse now'. If I was his mum I'd be worried.

ohanzee

What he's actually saying is that you have to have the same casting ability and casting style as the designer to fully appreciate the rod. And I seriously doubt whether many here come even close to having anything like the skill necessary to appreciate these nuances.
Firstly that is not what he is saying, its what you have decided he is saying, and if you or others will never have the skill necessary to appreciate nuances then that is a bit of a shame, you are missing something pretty special there.

I have come across a small number of people who feel they need to learn to cast by pure repetition alone, as opposed to learning by feel, sight and sound, they can spend years mindlessly repeating the same wooden stroke, its painful to watch, they work best with a soft lazy rod and a heavy line.

Paul Arden is very very good at casting, what you see there is a display of skill which is far removed from fishing, although the same skill comes back in when it needs to be applied to fishing.

I'd say phone him, as instructors go he is about as knowledgeable as there is.

Latest posts