Costa Rica 2022

Rob Edmunds

Well we just booked a family "fishing" holiday for December 2022 to Costa Rica - Guanacaste ( Canada will have to wait)

Not sure exactly what to expect as regards the fishing, and its probably sacrilege putting this thread up on a " fly-fishing forum" as I don't think I will be doing much fly fishing 😆😆

Anyway it's an adventure and I'm open to any information or experiences anyone cares to share..

I'm guessing that most of my fishing will be using spinning rods and Roosta - Yo Zuri poppers, or soft plastics ( kopyto - mr twister, savage gear)

Or live - dead baits if fishing off a boat

My Mrs and Son will think anything other than fly- fishing is the greatest sin known to man - so will use a fly rod pretty much the whole time....I stocked up on poppers, baitfish initations, shrimp patterns etc to keep them happy.

The hotel does have Kayaks and looking at Google earth there are good rock formations at either end of the beach at Playa Matapalo which should hold fish.

I've got a guide sorted for 5 days inshore fishing and my main aim is to try and connect with a Rooster fish on a fly or popper...

I will write up a detailed review of our experiences when we've actually been just in case anyone else fancies it

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Well we just booked a family "fishing" holiday for December 2022 to Costa Rica - Guanacaste ( Canada will have to wait)

Not sure exactly what to expect as regards the fishing, and its probably sacrilege putting this thread up on a " fly-fishing forum" as I don't think I will be doing much fly fishing 😆😆

Anyway it's an adventure and I'm open to any information or experiences anyone cares to share..

I'm guessing that most of my fishing will be using spinning rods and Roosta - Yo Zuri poppers, or soft plastics ( kopyto - mr twister, savage gear)

Or live - dead baits if fishing off a boat

My Mrs and Son will think anything other than fly- fishing is the greatest sin known to man - so will use a fly rod pretty much the whole time....I stocked up on poppers, baitfish initations, shrimp patterns etc to keep them happy.

The hotel does have Kayaks and looking at Google earth there are good rock formations at either end of the beach at Playa Matapalo which should hold fish.

I've got a guide sorted for 5 days inshore fishing and my main aim is to try and connect with a Rooster fish on a fly or popper...
Can’t help Rob, but enjoy yourself mate.
S.

Bongoch

Would love to go to Costa Rica. One of the few places I'd happily go without the rods in tow! Such an abundance of amazing wildlife, would love to see a sloth in the wild. Similarly, the Galapagos Islands and Antarctica are on my list. Really need to get around to seeing them as given the rate of environmental destruction some of places may not be around much longer!

ceramic

There are a couple of fly lodges that offer fly fishing for tarpon on the Caribbean coast. Tarponville is one and they do offer fishing by the day. The logistics of getting from West to east coast Costa Rica aren't really doable for a day. But have a look. I have been to Costa Rica but not since 2004.
I looked into it 3 or 4 years ago.
What put me off was....it's not sight fishing. It's blind casting with intermediate and sinking lines. With a 12wt.
I wouldn't want 4 or 5 days of that when I was 30!
Have done a bit of that at cayo Santa Maria in the channels for a day....had to hold my beer in my left hand in the evening...
But check it out....for future reference. Don't think the lodge is open in December.

squimp

There are a couple of fly lodges that offer fly fishing for tarpon on the Caribbean coast. Tarponville is one and they do offer fishing by the day. The logistics of getting from West to east coast Costa Rica aren't really doable for a day. But have a look. I have been to Costa Rica but not since 2004.
I looked into it 3 or 4 years ago.
What put me off was....it's not sight fishing. It's blind casting with intermediate and sinking lines. With a 12wt.
I wouldn't want 4 or 5 days of that when I was 30!
Have done a bit of that at cayo Santa Maria in the channels for a day....had to hold my beer in my left hand in the evening...
But check it out....for future reference. Don't think the lodge is open in December.
The East coast tarpon fishery is generally best in the spring and autumn. Some of the fish are seriously big and a 12 wt is too light !

Ive done it once and agree that the dirty water fishing is more like ‘Harling’ than ‘Keys‘ style clear water tarpon fishing.

Ive fished several times on the Pacific side and there are a variety of species to target. Winter can be a good time.

Rooster fish are absolutely amazing. They are also pretty difficult to fool on flies. It’s fascinating fishing ‘bait and switch‘ and watching the way jacks, barracuda and roosters differ in how they stalk and then attack the baits. The former 2 species are simple to trick with a fly, but the roosters are a different ball game. Similar with sailfish - they are a doddle on a fly rod.

Ther are also snook to fish for (inshore) and they’re really interesting fish too.

ceramic

My experience of Costa Rica was tarpon east coast .
Sailfish etc out of quepos West coast all on conventional tackle.
The only issue I have with tarponville is dredging flies.
There's no comparison to a sight cast fish.
It's like Catching a 6lb bonefish out of a mud....it's not the same.
As for going to Costa Rica without any rods like bongoch said in a previous post....I'd rather go without any underpants than no fishing rods..fly or lure.

sean freeman

I don’t know if there are any streams near where you’re going but the trout fishing interests me there. Wild rainbows in the rainforest! I believe there are a number of outfits that run trips for them too.

ceramic

Jesse males is one he does a few fly tying videos.
His guiding company with all things Costa Rica is
506outdoors.com.
Good call!

catzrob

The peacock/rainbow bass (guapote) in Panama and Nicaragua are fun!

Latest posts