Costa Rica or Guatemala

BobP

Has anyone fished the Pacific side of either of these countries. I may have a few hours and would like to try some lure fishing off the shore.

squimp

Jack crevalle, rooster fish, barracuda and snook all possible.

My experience is limited to fly fishing from a boat, but lure fishing from the shore should produce fish. I’d take a fairly heavy spinning rod, a good reel with 200m plus of 50lb braid and some heavy (for long casting) shallow diving plugs and some metal lure for ultimate casting distance. Make sure the hooks are strong and take some wire for the Cuda’s and heavy mono for the tippets for the other species.

You can certainly target roosters from the shore on the fly if you fancy the ultimate challenge. They make permit seem easy !

Hope this helps.

crazystu

Hi Bob
Visited Costa Rica in October, we stayed at the Secrets resort .I took with me a 12wt fly outfit and a heavy spinning rod Penn Squadron 11 casts up to 80g and a Penn Battle fixed spool reel loaded with 50lb braid a selection of Rapalas and some 130mm poppers ,didn't bother with wire 80lb flurocarbon leader was fine .
The fishing was FANTASTIC 😀😀😀 inshore fishing from a local Panga (belongs to a friend Armando) caught Roosterfish to 80lb , Jack Crevalle , Dorado , Needle fish, Cubera Snapper and Yellowfin Tuna . Small Snappers and Ladyfish took fly quite easily . Most fish coming on Williamson jet poppers and Halco rooster poppers red and white being the best colours. Plenty of shore fishing most of the time I never seen another angler on the beach . I posted a report on world sea fishing forum with pictures . I have Captain Armando's details if you are going to Guanacaste area he an excellent guide and great company .

Nick4fish

I would love to get Armando's contact details please Crazy. I'm going to Secrets Papagayo in July. Fly rods only.

crazystu

Hi Nick
Armando can be contacted on
+50689747941 , tell him you are a friend of Stuart he will look after you we had 3 Roosterfish , 5 Jacks 2 Dorado, a big Cubera Snapper , 1Yellow fin Tuna , Spanish Mackerel , Bonito , and Needlefish , the place is amazing . I will pm you some more info when I get a little more time , busy sorting out for a trip to Cayo Coco

JCP

Amazing Bob is an understatement.Poppers,Rangers and Stephen Jansen Casting Jigs amongst others if you really want to go for it.Cons:these lures need to be weighty to cast good distance and then keep line off the water and skitter them back at speed.Not for an ol' fella like me these days.Glad I did it when I could.Now a livie from a panga is much easier and casting the odd popper.On a few hours to kill during a holiday basis in Costa Rica I am sure your string will be pulled by a missile with fins no problem.The worry kicks in getting your string back fishing from the shore:D.

JP

Rob Edmunds

Sorry to raise an old thread....I'm considering Costa Rica this December......anyone got any tips regarding areas

Intending to fly into Liberia international airport and then on to a hotel with fishing nearby ??

Any tips welcome

Latest posts