Couple of questions zips and ahrex hooks?

patk

I'm going through gear getting ready for the bass and the mullet in 2020. Rods and reels all great condition. But wading jackets bags sling packs have zips jammed from the salt. It seems every year despite rinsing in fresh water etc. Any clever ideas to prevent this or solutions to loosen the zips?
Secondly one anyone tied/used Ahrex hooks in particular the sal minnow one? They look great and thinking of getting some for seatrout/bass but can't see much info on them. Tight lines pat

shad

Pat

Cover zips etc with silicone grease , divers use it so ..

Not sure about those hooks , I have some but have not fished them yet.

Cheers Colin

Paul_B

As said silicon grease, WD40 Silicon lubricant is also good, or any other brand of silicon lubricant for that matter, however as with all aerosols take care as some plastics don't like the other contents in the can.

baztek1

all my coastal flies are tied on Ahrex traditional shrimp, curved shrimp and light stinger being my standouts. Super sharp great profile and hold fish brilliantly

patk

Thanks for replies I'm going to get that silicone grease. And have ordered some of those Ahrex hooks to tie a few on.

baztek1

Thanks for replies I'm going to get that silicone grease. And have ordered some of those Ahrex hooks to tie a few on.
Pat I work off shore and what we use for lubrication on sub sea connectors which are made of rubber is a grease called

Molyjote 44 or
Mokykote DC 4

It is quite expensive to buy but if yiu can wait until I'm home I can send you a tube, we should have one spare on board [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JRT

I'm going through gear getting ready for the bass and the mullet in 2020. Rods and reels all great condition. But wading jackets bags sling packs have zips jammed from the salt. It seems every year despite rinsing in fresh water etc. Any clever ideas to prevent this or solutions to loosen the zips?
Roll top bags/slings and the only jacket I've found that doesn't rust up is the Patagonia SST. I still hose it down but its lasted seasons.

hibbs

I can't comment on Ahrex hooks i've never used them. I had a good season last year, with bass and seatrout. The hooks I use are mostly the Sakuma 410 and 430 hooks. Good luck this season.

patk

I've been using the sakumas and eagle claw Billy pates which have both served me well. In general the bass seem to engulf the fly and rarely come off. I like the look of the ahrex minnow especially thinking of smaller seatrout patterns for the salt.

merkin

All my flies last year were tied on the Sakuma 410s and have found them excellent - their ability to both hook and hold onto Pollack has been a game-changer compared to the Grips/Daichis I had been using previously. Also brilliant for the one Bass I caught last year. Yes, I'm a northerner!!

But . . . . I got hold of some of the curved shrimp Ahrex and, though I say it myself, the mini-squid patterns I've tied with them look lush. I suspect that they will hook and hold fish as well as the Sakumas, but they are a finer wire, so I wonder whether they may pull out under the pressure (for example) of a large Pollack?

david barnes

WD40 to loosen the seized zippers allow to dry once they’re free and apply T-Zip along the length sparingly and draw back and forth. Reapply the T-Zip occasionally throughout the season.