Cove’s pheasant tail

11foot5

I recently (lockdown!) took a notion to tie and fish Cove’s pheasant tail. I’ve tried it now on smallish still-waters with zero success. I’ve been fishing it like a buzzer, little or no retrieve on a floating line. I’m surprised at its lack of success. Is it just me? Is it like a Peter Ross syndrome? Works for some but others find it difficult to catch on ?

sofasurfer

If you've tied the original pattern correctly, I'm not surprised. It was on a large, long shank hook for large still waters, drifted across the wind. Not a very good imitation of a buzzer.

PaulD

If you've tied the original pattern correctly, I'm not surprised. It was on a large, long shank hook for large still waters, drifted across the wind. Not a very good imitation of a buzzer.
No it wasn't!

Hook: Partridge wide gape sizes 8 - 12
Rib; Fine copper wire
Body: 10 - 12 cock pheasent centre tail fibres
Thorax: Blue rabbit underfur
Hackle: None

Cove PT.JPG

arkle

I saw Arthur, give a talk back in the 80's & he said there that he would use them up to a size 6 in both std & longshank's - with the largest one's used when the fry were about.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Only thing I can think of is that the colour was a poor match for the buzzers around at the time. I'm certainly not talking from experience here since I don't fish stillwaters much, but your tying looks very good to me and a hell of a lot closer to a buzzer than many of the flies I see labelled as buzzers.

Steve

Secret Angler

I recently (lockdown!) took a notion to tie and fish Cove’s pheasant tail. I’ve tried it now on smallish still-waters with zero success. I’ve been fishing it like a buzzer, little or no retrieve on a floating line. I’m surprised at its lack of success. Is it just me? Is it like a Peter Ross syndrome? Works for some but others find it difficult to catch on ?
I'm never surprised at any fly's lack of success, especially if someone says it's a great fly. Try another.

JCP

Haha.It did work.Being a sentimental old fool I have still got some but not fished them since early 70's.Now then the red Diddy was whole different ball game until they changed the format of the rubber bands from oval to round😱. Was a killer cast to visible fish and fished blind induced take style.That bend in the old bands was irresistible to cruising trout.

JP

mike fox

I've fished them like buzzers and had very little success. Fished them as a nymph and caught plenty, so much so it is my favourite style of fishing.

Cap'n Fishy

I've fished them like buzzers and had very little success. Fished them as a nymph and caught plenty, so much so it is my favourite style of fishing.
What is the difference between fishing them like buzzers and fishing them like nymphs? Is a 'buzzer' not a 'nymph'? Or are we getting into semantics and saying a buzzer (nymph) is technically a pupa? Are you differentiating between nymph fishing, larva fishing and pupa fishing? If so, what are the fundamental differences in the methods?

Col

mike fox

What is the difference between fishing them like buzzers and fishing them like nymphs? Is a 'buzzer' not a 'nymph'? Or are we getting into semantics and saying a buzzer (nymph) is technically a pupa? Are you differentiating between nymph fishing, larva fishing and pupa fishing? If so, what are the fundamental differences in the methods?

Col
The OP states he fishes them with "little or no retrieve on a floating line". So the difference being make them swim like a nymph. Buzzer and nymph fishing are very different.

Wee Jimmy

Buzzer and nymph fishing are very different.
Maybe in your world......In my world , nymph fishing means imitating any form of aquatic insect larvae I.e....what they look like and how they move in the water.That includes buzzers in case you weren’t aware....:rolleyes:

BobP

11footfive,

I asked because I have updated Cove with a series of buzzer style pheasant tails using 2-2.8mm tungsten beads on 14-10 hooks. These are my go-to flies for stillwater and reservoir trout and have a long list of successful captures. They are flies I will not go fishing without.

mike fox

Maybe in your world......In my world , nymph fishing means imitating any form of aquatic insect larvae I.e....what they look like and how they move in the water.That includes buzzers in case you weren’t aware....:rolleyes:
We clearly live in different worlds then. I'm all about methods of using nymphs and buzzers dependent on current conditions. The OP stated his method was to use the buzzer static, relying upon the wind to move the buzzer. Clearly the wind was not moving the buzzer correctly on the day so a nymphing method may have done the trick.

Latest posts