Covid-19 Roadmap Out Of Lockdown: What it means for angling

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Issued by the Angling Trust:

The Angling Trust has responded to today’s government announcement on the easing of lockdown restrictions in England saying:

“Although it’s positive that the government have accepted the case that outdoor activities such as angling should be first to fully open up it looks like no real change for us until March 29th when restrictions are lifted and outdoor sports can resume. The Stay Home message and travel restrictions remain in place until then with the exception of a provision for outdoor recreation as well as exercise. Since angling has been deemed ‘permissible exercise’ throughout lockdown this is unlikely to affect us.

“We will know more when the regulations and DCMS guidance are published in the coming days and will update everybody if anything changes. Having a clear date at least means that anglers, clubs and fisheries can plan for the forthcoming season with more certainty and we can all look forward to once again being able to fish our favourite waters in a manner of our choosing,”

Currently anglers are restricted to fishing locally once a day, as a form of exercise, with one other person and no organised gatherings or competitions. Most other sports remain prohibited. The Angling Trust submitted a case to government for the early and full resumption of all forms of angling including night fishing and competitions. These will now be possible from March 29th.
The Angling Trust submission can be found HERE
Jamie Cook, Angling Trust CEO said:
“Whilst many anglers would have liked to have to seen angling fully opened up earlier we have to accept that the timing was always a matter for government acting on public health advice. Our job was to set out how our sport can be conducted safely and why we should be in the first tranche to resume without travel restrictions and with both competition and night fishing back in place. This all looks set to happen on March 29th and it’s good to see a widespread acceptance that healthy outdoor activities such as angling will be the first to return to some form of normality.”

The post Covid-19 Roadmap Out Of Lockdown: What it means for angling appeared first on Angling Trust.

More...

kingf000

Issued by the Angling Trust:

The Angling Trust has responded to today’s government announcement on the easing of lockdown restrictions in England saying:

“Although it’s positive that the government have accepted the case that outdoor activities such as angling should be first to fully open up it looks like no real change for us until March 29th when restrictions are lifted and outdoor sports can resume. The Stay Home message and travel restrictions remain in place until then with the exception of a provision for outdoor recreation as well as exercise. Since angling has been deemed ‘permissible exercise’ throughout lockdown this is unlikely to affect us.

“We will know more when the regulations and DCMS guidance are published in the coming days and will update everybody if anything changes. Having a clear date at least means that anglers, clubs and fisheries can plan for the forthcoming season with more certainty and we can all look forward to once again being able to fish our favourite waters in a manner of our choosing,”

Currently anglers are restricted to fishing locally once a day, as a form of exercise, with one other person and no organised gatherings or competitions. Most other sports remain prohibited. The Angling Trust submitted a case to government for the early and full resumption of all forms of angling including night fishing and competitions. These will now be possible from March 29th.
The Angling Trust submission can be found HERE
Jamie Cook, Angling Trust CEO said:
“Whilst many anglers would have liked to have to seen angling fully opened up earlier we have to accept that the timing was always a matter for government acting on public health advice. Our job was to set out how our sport can be conducted safely and why we should be in the first tranche to resume without travel restrictions and with both competition and night fishing back in place. This all looks set to happen on March 29th and it’s good to see a widespread acceptance that healthy outdoor activities such as angling will be the first to return to some form of normality.”

The post Covid-19 Roadmap Out Of Lockdown: What it means for angling appeared first on Angling Trust.

More...
This is my understanding of the situation, though even after the 29th March, a 280 mile round trip up to Derbyshire will not be allowed, but travel 14 miles to my nearest lake will. The cautious approach of the government is understandable but, if numbers continue to fall rapidly, they will come under increasing pressure to relax rules more quickly. The assumption is that the relaxation will increase the R value, but if it doesn't? If the R value does increase after the 8th March, one would expect to see an increase in new cases within 2 weeks, thought hospital admissions takes longer to feed through. In my area, covering both my house and the lake, there have been no positive tests for covid for the last fortnight.

williegunn

This is my understanding of the situation, though even after the 29th March, a 280 mile round trip up to Derbyshire will not be allowed, but travel 14 miles to my nearest lake will. The cautious approach of the government is understandable but, if numbers continue to fall rapidly, they will come under increasing pressure to relax rules more quickly. The assumption is that the relaxation will increase the R value, but if it doesn't? If the R value does increase after the 8th March, one would expect to see an increase in new cases within 2 weeks, thought hospital admissions takes longer to feed through. In my area, covering both my house and the lake, there have been no positive tests for covid for the last fortnight.
You could always do a risk assessment!

Paul_B

We'll be opening on the 1st of March to members only and no one from outside the area until restriction lift more on the 29th,
There will be no day tickets until further notice and the 15 metre fishing distance and 2 metre at other times still applies until further notice.

delray

This is my understanding of the situation, though even after the 29th March, a 280 mile round trip up to Derbyshire will not be allowed, but travel 14 miles to my nearest lake will. The cautious approach of the government is understandable but, if numbers continue to fall rapidly, they will come under increasing pressure to relax rules more quickly.
I haven't gone through the detail so far but I (mis) understood travel would be ok or has there been a limit put on the mileage?
I'll scoot off and have look sometime later.

EDIT ooops, should have put "March 29th" in there somewhere.

Last edited:

kingf000

I haven't gone through the detail so far but I (mis) understood travel would be ok or has there been a limit put on the mileage?
I'll scoot off and have look sometime later.
The travel rules are clear that 'stay at home' is still in place until 29th March. This means that, strictly speaking, you can only go fishing within walking distance of your home. If you get in your car and drive to your fishing, it could be construed that you are breaking the rules and may be fined.

delray

Thanks kingf000; that's my understanding too, but you mentioned not being allowed to travel after the 29th March and as I'm typing this I've just received a mail suggesting that all travel restrictions will or could be lifted from April 12th.
Anyway, March 29/April 12, whatever one is the applicable rule is the one I'll adhere to.
Regards
Del

kingf000

Thanks kingf000; that's my understanding too, but you mentioned not being allowed to travel after the 29th March and as I'm typing this I've just received a mail suggesting that all travel restrictions will or could be lifted from April 12th.
Anyway, March 29/April 12, whatever one is the applicable rule is the one I'll adhere to.
Regards
Del
My understanding is that you can travel a 'reasonable' distance after March 29th for a good reason, but not 'long' distances unless essential. I'm sure it will become clearer nearer the time.

kingf000

You could always do a risk assessment!
You take the p**s out of risk assessments, but I remember the days before these were in place. I worked for a large chemical company in their pre-production plant. They hired general labourers from the unemployment exchange on short term contracts to shovel large quantities of highly dangerous chemicals with no training and no PPE. No one cared, as if a problem arose they simply sacked them and recruited someone else. Hopefully, because of legal requirements for risk assessments, that is no longer the practice - but is that what you want to go back to?

AntonB

Wimbleball Fly Fishery

17tSpronnsmgofrsed ·

Angling remains a 'permissible exercise' so no significant changes for us from the latest Covid updates & we are now very much looking forward to opening our fishery this weekend (Opening day Saturday 27th Feb) & welcoming those of you in a position to visit us, tight lines...
🎣
🎣
🎣

May be an image of nature and body of water

kingf000

You can drive for LOCAL exercise as it stands and that inludes local fishing
That is how some interpret it, but others do not and that is still the problem. The rules say that you can drive a short distance for exercise if necessary. But what is necessary and what is local? I have a river that I can fish for coarse fish within walking distance of my house. I think I would have difficulty justifying to a magistrate that I needed to travel in my car to fly fish for trout, just for exercise. The strictest sense is what Cressida Dick and Priti Patel said, that exercise can only be done from your home. The safest advice to avoid prosecution is to follow that. However, judging by the numbers of people who take their dogs in their car for exercise when there are good walking areas nearby, a large number of people are bending the rules

williegunn

You take the p**s out of risk assessments, but I remember the days before these were in place. I worked for a large chemical company in their pre-production plant. They hired general labourers from the unemployment exchange on short term contracts to shovel large quantities of highly dangerous chemicals with no training and no PPE. No one cared, as if a problem arose they simply sacked them and recruited someone else. Hopefully, because of legal requirements for risk assessments, that is no longer the practice - but is that what you want to go back to?
I wasn't taking the p1ss out of risk assessments, I was taking the p1ss out of you for the ridiculous thread you started.

BobP

Very often driving a short distance to exercise one's dogs is a lot safer from a spatial perspective than walking them close to home.

I walk my two dogs twice a day. The first walk is early morning, usually around 07.00 along a byway 100 metres from the house and I see a few people at that hour. However, in the 12 months near enough since this disaster started I have noticed that only two people I have encountered on those walks have stepped aside a few yards to let me pass even when there has been plenty of space for them to do so. Apart from those two occasions it has always been me who has given at least 5 yards of space and often more. I cannot see this changing for some considerable time yet

For the afternoon outing there are half a dozen walks within 4 miles of my house and my wife & I use those. Seeing other people on those is uncommon though not unknown and is therefore safer. During the first lockdown I obeyed the rules and walked locally along the byway and often had to curtail the walk, or even abandon it totally because of the number of people out & about.