Cow Green Crayfish

cookiescrumbs2

Fished Cow Green last week and there were a good number of dead Signal Crayfish.

I’ve never seen them before and was surprised how big they are!

I visit Cow Green at least once a season and I’ve not seen crayfish there before.

How do they affect the fishing. Cow Green hasn’t fished well for the last three years but it has been very low and it never fishes well when it’s low.

I also lost my Brodin net so someone is going to have a decent trip 😅

Attachments

• D0891850-D437-41C6-AEEE-AB2F04B34D63.jpeg
    D0891850-D437-41C6-AEEE-AB2F04B34D63.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 48AE9853-EDFA-4C12-956B-49A71D09AB8E.jpeg
    48AE9853-EDFA-4C12-956B-49A71D09AB8E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 44

BobP

Not actually impossible eggs were transmitted by birds, either on feet or in droppings!
The female crayfish carries her eggs under her abdomen and hides in a burrow about a metre into the bank until they hatch. Not a very good strategy for recruitment. They originally entered into the wider environment because no-one was aware, when they were introduced to small, totally enclosed stillwaters, that they were capable of leaving that water and crossing land to get to another water.

However, by far the commonest means of spreading is by upstream or downstream migration. If there are significant populations in the river downstream of Cow Green then their presence in that water was always going to happen. They can migrate at a surprising rate. 3km in a year is not unheard of.

Last edited:

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
The female crayfish carries her eggs under her abdomen and hides in a burrow about a metre into the bank until they hatch. Not a very good strategy for recruitment.
Yes, but they do get preyed on,and eggs do spill out/off on many occasions.
Signals are in many Scottish Lochs with no obvious connected inflow/outflow.
They did not get "there because some ***** put some in"