Cow Green Reservoir

davidcwjones

Was there today, caught 5 fish all around 9 inches, used a yellow wasp pattern on dropper and a brown spider type on point, floating line. Was fishing just to the right of the car park up to the first inlet. Great day, great scenery and makes a nice change from the sluggish rainbows I'm accustomed to! There was quite a few other guys aswell.:thumbs:

juncopartner

Went up on Sunday 2/06/13, fished the south bank managed 9 fish in total, best was a nice condition pound and a quarter, and lost another of similar size, the rest were all in good condition with a couple running to near a pound. Almost all caught on Zulu bob fly, floating line.

I only saw one fish rise, and there were no hatches while I was there, but that didn't seem to be bothering the fish.

Probably would have caught more but due to an old wrist injury only managed about 3 and a half hours fishing before the pain got to much.

Quite busy up there, I saw 3 other anglers, most I've ever seen up there!!!

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Was up here today and weather was nice until about midday when it seemed to cloud in a bit and the wind got up. Not as successful as my trip up here last year, managed to get 4 up to three quarters of a pound and lost 4 aswell. Not much sign of any fish rising even though certain areas were flatter and a few hatches of very small flies. I fished the south shore from the carpark up to near where the stream goes in at the top (very rough going over hummocky ground even though its dried out a bit), 2 were caught on a small dabbler on top dropper which had a few takes aswell just letting line drift on a very slow retrieve floating line. No sign of anyone else fishing all day, a few army personnel doing some kind of military op near the carpark. A rotting sheep carcass about halfway up the stretch down near waters edge and I observed a small lizardy type thing scuttle into some rocks down near the shoreline but couldn't get an ID on it. Also a few Geese about, some with young but didn't have the bins to see what kind they were, not that I could have anyway after accidentally spraying insect repellant into my eyes:eek:mg:, stung like hell. Forgot to fill in the catch return yet again :rolleyes: sorry NW but hopefully be back again for one more visit this year.

Scratch

Banned
Banned
Also a few Geese about, some with young but didn't have the bins to see what kind they were, not that I could have anyway after accidentally spraying insect repellant into my eyes:eek:mg:, stung like hell. Forgot to fill in the catch return yet again

I often wonder just how you manage to turn out the flies that you do, Mark... you're such a mouthbreather sometimes :eek:mg: :D

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
I often wonder just how you manage to turn out the flies that you do, Mark... you're such a mouthbreather sometimes :eek:mg: :D

I had to look that one up in the urban dictionary Rob. It says 'someone who lacks enough intelligence that they never learned to breathe thru their nose' or 'a real dumb person' sounds about right that does :D Hehe! I know its sad, you don't even know the half of it mate, if I posted half of my dodgy escapades I'd be the laffin stock of the forum.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Fishery: Cow Green only Size: 770 acres (312m), Max Depth 70 feet (22m)
Grid Ref: NY802 303 (For Internet Satellite Viewing)

Number of anglers - week 3
Number of trout taken - week n/a
Number of trout returned - week n/a
Total number of trout caught - week n/a
Rod average - week n/a
Best trout - week n/a
Total number of anglers to date 40
Total number of fish caught to date 240
Largest trout of the season so far 2 lb
Seasonal rod average 7.2

Fishery Headline:

No catch returns

Important information for anglers - Honesty box payments unavailable

Best flies:

Bibio, Loch Ordie, Black and Peacock Spider, Kate McLaren, various dries

Best baits:

Worm on a stick float

Best areas:

Keep mobile fishing the points, bays and inlets

Ranger office: 01833 641121

Ranger:

Andrew Scott

ant77

Managed to get a couple of hours up at Cow Green this afternoon. I thought it might be tough fishing today and I wasn't disappointed! Brilliant sunshine and a totally relentless wind persisted throughout. I worked a few of the bays along the north bank, basically wherever I could get a decent line out, but not a touch. Still, the place is unforgettable and worth the drive just to lie in the tussocks and watch the birdies - curlews, lapwings, plover and pipits - all seemingly a million miles away from anyone else of the planet. I didn't see a single fish but two fellas had fished from 8 til 2.30 with a total of 20 trout between them to Black Muddlers. I'd love to know where they'd caught 'em!

juncopartner

I was up the next day, first time for quite a while, been up the Lakes most weekends in the hills fishing the Tarns. Only managed 3, my mate managed 9 mainly by casting out and backing up (a tactic I showed him, I almost always catch more than him so I'll be giving him no more advice from now on!!) Most caught on the north bank with the wind blowing into the south bank right on the edge of the ripple. Went up on Monday as well for a few hours but only managed one.

muddler

Fished it on Sunday with a friend and we had 9 between us again on the north bank, wind blowing on to south. I had 5 all,of which took the sedgehog. Many more takes and long range releases....

First time up there, certainly not the last.

juncopartner

Well I don't know if anyone looks at this part of the forum at this time of year, but this months copy of Flyfishing and Flytying (Feb 2014) has a very impressive pic of a sunset at Cow Green on pages 10 and 11. Even if I do say so myself!!!!

Incidentally does anyone know what the biggest trout caught at Cow Green is?

Last edited:

kenny

Well I don't know if anyone looks at this part of the forum at this time of year, but this months copy of Flyfishing and Flytying (Feb 2014) has a very impressive pic of a sunset at Cow Green on pages 10 and 11. Even if I do say so myself!!!!

Incidentally does anyone know what the biggest trout caught at Cow Green is?

Looking forward to seeing one or two of them this year

kaney

Has anyone ventured forth up to this wonderful reservoir this year will be hoping to get up as soon as my back is up to it :(

juncopartner

I was up on Sunday (first time this year, been too busy fishing the tarns in the Lakes). My mate managed 10, I got nothing, but I was having difficulty casting due to an old wrist injury that occasionaly gives me a bit of grieve!!!

Quite windy, lots of small black buzzers around and flying ants in one of the bays, they were there last year in the same bay in huge numbers.

I'll try to get up next week. Off to Red Tarn, below Helvelyn this weekend wild camping and fishing, apparently its the highest water in England with trout.

BlueFrog

That's the best fish I've seen come out of Cow Green, well done..:thumbs:

Got the urge now for a visit..:D

plaszac

Hi , has anyone been this season ? what is it fishing like ? what flies would you recommend ? :):confused::confused:

Latest posts