Cow Green Reservoir

cgaines10

I was there on Friday with my Dad. We fished all day from 8 till 18:00 fishing all the way around it, well in all the little bays. The weather was constantly changing from bright sunshine one minute then hail stones the next. We had plenty of strong fighting fish throughout the day, using mainly traditional wet spiders. Here's a few pictures of the fish we caught;

delray

That's reassuring! 4 of us coming up from Herts from June the 5th and Cow Green will be one of our days, weather allowing.
Del.

stokoe

ive only fished cow green a couple of times but i just love the remotness of the place a truely wild and lovely setting. 👍

using carrier pigeon

plaszac

Great Pics cgaines10 :) it was a cracking day ! :thumbs::thumbs::) looking forwards to next day out !

jameswaine

Can anyone tell me if you can fish all the way round? I remember last time I was there, being told by a walker that certain banks were nature reserves where no fishing was allowed. But I can't seem to find anything online about that? Planning on going up there soon and don't want to get caught out :whistle:

jameswaine

I've been up there today, cracking day. Walked right the way round, from the car park, to the dam, fishing as I went. I dread to think how far that actually is, my legs are like jelly tonight because, in my wisdom, I took all my camera gear!

I was going at quite a pace, only having one or two casts in each spot. I had 4 to the net, with a few near-misses.

It's a superb venue. One I must visit more often.

stokoe

I've been up there today, cracking day. Walked right the way round, from the car park, to the dam, fishing as I went. I dread to think how far that actually is, my legs are like jelly tonight because, in my wisdom, I took all my camera gear!

I was going at quite a pace, only having one or two casts in each spot. I had 4 to the net, with a few near-misses.

you have walked some distance my freind, i have never got that far round yet 👍

using carrier pigeon

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

its a lovely place to fish really wild. 👍

using carrier pigeon

cb

Fish&Fly
Staff member
I was up there this afternoon for an hour. Damned cold breeze. brrrrr. Hooked up with feisty little 9 inch brownie after I saw it rise and went for it. Had to retreat to car with numb fingers.

Smashing place but next time I go it will be balmy with warm south westerly! :thumbs:

cb

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Fished yesterday for a couple of hours. Lovely!

cowgreen-052017.png

Very nice it was – bright and breezy with sporadic rises. (I just kept near car parks). Very low – in fact as low as I’ve seen it. I rose and lost plenty (they are fast!) on dry Hawthorne and wet black & peacock spider. Landed only 4 including 2 nice 8/9in fish - slim but otherwise immaculate. All returned.

cowgreen-052017b.png

Also found the plant the area is famous for: The very rare (except here) Spring Gentian

P1110631.png

Last edited:

Latest posts