Cracked it!

Scotty Mitchell

7B45B49F-1072-41A5-AEF8-1792156486FB.jpeg

mike fox

We anglers are so lucky to know of such places and scenery that few others bother themselves to seek out. Every time I go out, I will just sit and soak up what's around me snapping away on the mobile cam. Get home and upload them on the laptop and think, WOW!! have I just seen that. Snow scenes, sunrises and sunsets are always the best.
Great picture by the way.

scobo

We anglers are so lucky to know of such places and scenery that few others bother themselves to seek out.
That certainly used to be the case with the loch in Scotty's picture but in recent years it's become very popular with walkers and folk just out for a run in the car. 30 odd years ago, you hardly ever saw another sole.
You only need to look at the state of the single track road up to the dam to see how much traffic it now has to cope with.

This year was particularly bad, most likely due to covid and people not being able to go abroad. I was there in August and the car park was full to overflowing by the time I packed up.

Thanks to the internet and "social" media, this is becoming more common at wild places all over the country, unfortunately.

Scotty Mitchell

That certainly used to be the case with the loch in Scotty's picture but in recent years it's become very popular with walkers and folk just out for a run in the car. 30 odd years ago, you hardly ever saw another sole.
You only need to look at the state of the single track road up to the dam to see how much traffic it now has to cope with.

This year was particularly bad, most likely due to covid and people not being able to go abroad. I was there in August and the car park was full to overflowing by the time I packed up.

Thanks to the internet and "social" media, this is becoming more common at wild places all over the country, unfortunately.
It was very busy this year. I reckon COVID defo had an impact as even through the week it was heaving.
The Water Board have fixed the road 👍

Scotty Mitchell

Really, no potholes now then ?
You’ll have seen the random patches of repair up as far as the treatment works, I thought that was them done, but they have resurfaced from the works to just short of the car park, that really bad corner where the potholes were bottomless is now as smooth as a snooker table 😀

scobo

You’ll have seen the random patches of repair up as far as the treatment works, I thought that was them done, but they have resurfaced from the works to just short of the car park, that really bad corner where the potholes were bottomless is now as smooth as a snooker table 😀
Good to hear Scotty, not before time too !
Can relax a bit on the way up/down knowing there's less chance of doing an axle in. 👍

Scotty Mitchell

Good to hear Scotty, not before time too !
Can relax a bit on the way up/down knowing there's less chance of doing an axle in. 👍
Peter, who you know, was telling me he squared a wheel one day at “the corner”.
On another day I followed him from the garden centre, and then he left me in his dust as soon as he was on the road up to the Loch........it then became apparent why he managed such damage 🤣

scobo

Peter, who you know, was telling me he squared a wheel one day at “the corner”.
On another day I followed him from the garden centre, and then he left me in his dust as soon as he was on the road up to the Loch........it then became apparent why he managed such damage 🤣
That's not like him to put the foot down and burn more fuel than necessary.
Not that I'm saying he's a bit on the tight side or anything. 😆

When my dad and I went away fishing with him on Saturdays or camping/fishing up north, he would stop the car if he hit a pheasant or saw one lying at the roadside and fling it in the boot.
A free meal and some free tying materials was not to be sniffed at. 😄

Joking aside, he's a really good bloke and amazingly fit for his age. Must be about 82/83 now.

Scotty Mitchell

That's not like him to put the foot down and burn more fuel than necessary.
Not that I'm saying he's a bit on the tight side or anything. 😆

When my dad and I went away fishing with him on Saturdays or camping/fishing up north, he would stop the car if he hit a pheasant or saw one lying at the roadside and fling it in the boot.
A free meal and some free tying materials was not to be sniffed at. 😄

Joking aside, he's a really good bloke and amazingly fit for his age. Must be about 82/83 now.
🤣
He is remarkably fit, he still fishes near enough the whole way round, and can go at a pace on the track too.
Didn’t see him this year but that’s not surprising. Also Saturday seems to be his preference and I only managed one or two Saturdays.
He’s a great guy for sure.
Hopefully we can all meet up there in 2021.

scobo

🤣
He is remarkably fit, he still fishes near enough the whole way round, and can go at a pace on the track too.
Didn’t see him this year but that’s not surprising. Also Saturday seems to be his preference and I only managed one or two Saturdays.
He’s a great guy for sure.
Hopefully we can all meet up there in 2021.
Met him at a funeral last year for first time in years.
Must admit, I tend to avoid the weekends if possible. Not sure why Pete still goes on Saturdays, maybe just the habit of the past 40+ years ??

I'm toiling with sciatica just now but hoping to shake it off in time for the new season. Hardly fished the last 2 seasons due to a shoulder injury in 2019 then the covid restrictions this year so determined to get out more in 2021.

Scotty Mitchell

Turret is the one place I don’t mind weekends as Peter is the only angler other than who is with me occasionally, I ever see.
Once when I was getting my permit the guy told me he had just sold 5 permits to some Eastern European guys. I arrived at the car park in time to see them standing at the dam wall, it looked like they were heading back to the car park, and they were!! By the time I was tackled up, they were back. One approached me looking quite pissed off, and asked me where the fk do you find fish on that 🤣🤣.
I’m not sure what they were expecting but I haven’t seen them since.
I saw a father and son one day, spinning, I didn’t have the heart to pull them up, but again, never saw them since.
I suppose it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, effort is required and rewards can be minimal to say the least 😆
Hope you get fit again in time, fk all worse than back pain.

scobo

This is the first time I've had sciatica. The pain is more down the back of my leg and ankle than my back, which is usually where I get bother. I think it's a disc problem, the doc is sending me for an MRI if it's not any better in a week or so.

I actually saw a couple of guys spinning on the east side just down from the dam this year. First time I've seen anyone else there in years.
Like yourself, I couldn't bring myself to tell them it's fly only as they were sitting at the one spot getting F all.
Like you say, can be a hard day's graft for not a lot up there !

Latest posts