Crawshaw’s spinner red dye substitute

sculpin_crusader

Any of you good folks know a suitable alternative for the above dye used in north country wet flies?

snake plissken

Try dyes that around the same shades as Cushing's acid dye Rust, or Jacquard's Burnt Orange.

Veniard's bought Crawshaw's some time in the early part of the last century. They changed the name from Red Spinner to Sherry Spinner sometime after 1950. This went for Pearsall's 6b Gossamer silk thread color also. I have a 1950 Veniard's catalog with the list of Pearsall's and it's listed as Red Spinner in that one.

The dye time or dye amount has to be very little, or both. I bought a NOS of Veniard's Sherry Spinner dye and have tried this already. After just a three minute soak, it came out a strong burnt orange color just about identical to Wapsi's Awsome Possum Burnt Orange dubbing color. When they wrote "tinged" they really mean't it. All was not lost since I just mixed some of the dyed fur with more natural Hare's nape area hair which is cinnamon in color.

Two pics are to show what the shade you want is. The one is the actual dubbing patch that they used for the pattern that was included in the limited edition book that came out way back. The other is of the dye color of Veniard's Sherry Spinner.
edmondsandlee8ba.jpg
venairds2.jpg