Crippled Midge

Cap'n Fishy

This is a dry pattern that Jimmy put me onto for the Lake of Menteith last year. There was a period just after the mayfly ended for good when this was red-hot. Early August time...

My abiding memory from last year was a day on my own. I was tracking up through the Heronry, flat calm, speed 1 on the Minn Kota... just looking for risers. I spotted one, out wide right... coming my way... I cut the motor and drifted towards it. As our paths neared, I read its direction and cadence and put my crippled midge in the spot. Up it came and supped it down, like a good 'un. It's moments like that that we live for!

So, dressing is:

Hook: Kamasan B400 size 14
Thread: What you like. I used Light Cahill 6/0 to make it stand out in the video.
Breathers/hackle post: white Antron type yarn
Body/Thorax: Ginger seal's fur
Rib: Size 14 copper lurex
Hackle: Ginger cock

Don't be afraid to go full screen on the video... it should take it...

Col

Mrtrout

Lovely moment Col, intercepting a fish on a lake I bet you were surprised and chuffed to mintballs at the time. :)
Nice tying thanks.

S.

sage5

This is a dry pattern that Jimmy put me onto for the Lake of Menteith last year. There was a period just after the mayfly ended for good when this was red-hot. Early August time...

My abiding memory from last year was a day on my own. I was tracking up through the Heronry, flat calm, speed 1 on the Minn Kota... just looking for risers. I spotted one, out wide right... coming my way... I cut the motor and drifted towards it. As our paths neared, I read its direction and cadence and put my crippled midge in the spot. Up it came and supped it down, like a good 'un. It's moments like that that we live for!

So, dressing is:

Thread: What you like. I used Light Cahill 6/0 to make it stand out in the video.

Col
Excellent Col, thanks for posting

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line

So, dressing is:

Col
Used to be a fly called crippled shuck, was done in a rafia type body and wing, in three or four colours, grey, black, olive and white, tied mainly on 16's and 18's.
Caught me many a trout in flat calms, and in particular during caenis hatches.
Raked my boxes, but cant find an example, think it was a fulling mill version, sold through sportfish.
Would be good to know the actual pattern, if anyone has it!

Cap'n Fishy

Might leave the yarn post sticking up a bit to help with visibility...

I do that with some flies...

Black-Klink_8554.jpg

Pinkhamers?

😜

Cap'n Fishy

Lovely moment Col, intercepting a fish on a lake I bet you were surprised and chuffed to mintballs at the time. :)
Nice tying thanks.

S.

It was the fact that it was the only rising fish in an area the size of 4 football pitches, Steven. And the way our paths lined themselves up... as if fate had decided that we were meant for each other. But I still had to make a decent fist of my job to bring our fates together... and so it was very fulfilling when I managed to carry out my end of the task, so that the fish had an easy job to keep up its end of the deal.

Or some bollox like that... 🤪

Wee Jimmy

It has certainly been a worthwhile pattern over the past few seasons. Not only does it do well in a flat calm or pin ripple but it also tolerates a good deal more of a chop than a shipman will thanks to the para hackle. This means the cripple is a bit more flexible whilst maintaining the same flat profile characteristics along with a bit of added footprint.It has more or less made my shippies redundant these days.

I like a clear wrap or electro static rib on mine Col.

Cap'n Fishy

I like a clear wrap or electro static rib on mine Col.

Yeh - I have the electro static stuff you gave me. I just have a hankering for the old ginger (and fiery brown) Shippies we used to use on Chew, Blagdon and Rutland, where my favourite rib was copper lurex. I still like it...

Col

Wee Jimmy

Yeh - I have the electro static stuff you gave me. I just have a hankering for the old ginger (and fiery brown) Shippies we used to use on Chew, Blagdon and Rutland, where my favourite rib was copper lurex. I still like it...

Col
Aye copper is a nice rib on ginger...👍

suzuki15hp

So, dressing is:

Col
It was great to see that tied from a lefty perspective. Brilliant.

Cap'n Fishy

It was great to see that tied from a lefty perspective. Brilliant.

Cheers, Bill. I was thinking it shouldn't look too odd to right-handers looking from the opposite side. When I watch a right-hander from the opposite side it looks OK to me, as it's like a mirror-image. Right-handers only look odd to me if I go round to their side and look over their shoulder. 😜

len1

Tied up a few in ginger and claret for Linlithgow on Sunday. They are a sort of paraloop Shipman’s. Thanks for the video.
Len

Latest posts