CTS 476 and an old Fibatube

glosterboy

I've finally finished the two rods I've been working on. The first time I've used silk thread and varnish rather than epoxy. I decided to rework one of my first builds an old Hardy Fibatube blank as a practice run.

I should have done the Epic blank first as silk thread on snake guides turned out to be considerably easier than the lined Fuji's on the Fibatube. I also found building a new rod way easier than re doing an old rod. Choosing olive thread on a dark blank wasn't the smartest of moves when practising transparent wraps either.

Lots of lessons learned along the way.
IMG_1056.1.JPGIMG_1057.1.JPGIMG_1060.1.JPG

glosterboy

Thanks for the compliments.
Id never of figured out how to do wraps like that without the generosity of people sharing their experience on this forum and others.
I'm sticking with varnish from now on, its a lot slower but easier to control than epoxy

dougieb

The CTS looks great. Are both cork handles from Hilevel? If so what is the quality like? Also what's your thoughts on the ritz profile? I'm tempted to try out a ritz grip on my next build

glosterboy

The CTS looks great. Are both cork handles from Hilevel? If so what is the quality like? Also what's your thoughts on the ritz profile? I'm tempted to try out a ritz grip on my next build
No they're not from Hilevel, I turned the handles on a lathe. The corks from a mixture of places some i bought recently and leftovers from a previous builds.
I like being able to make a handle that feels right for me and suits the rod.

glosterboy

I'm a Muppet, before anyone else says its an Epic not a CTS. Was going to buy a CTS but found the Epic at a really good price whilst I was browsing the web.

Epic blanks are made by CTS
They were:

CTS stopped provided white label blanks a couple of years ago.