CTS 686 - My new project during the next few weeks of isolation.

petevicar

I ordered all the bits from HiLevel in Sweden and they arrived today.
CTS Quartz 686 blank in a strange greed colour. They call it shoot maybe snot would be more appropriate.
I have a couple of different grips that I can use. I have not decided on which yet.
I also bought some thread that is pre colour preserved. I am not sure how I'll wrap the rod yet. Maybe you have some suggestions.

I usually experiment a little on the butt section, under the reel seat, to see what finished wraps look like.

I will probably start sometime next week as I have a tp section of another rod to finish.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Pete

corto maltese

Yep, that is a special colour mate !
Not horrible tho, I can see it growing on you.
Great project to pass the time, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
👍

liphook

I suggest some dark glasses whilst wrapping that rascal! Eyestrain could seriously be a factor if you use the kind of lighting I like whilst tying a rod. It will certainly stand out on the bank if that's what you want

petevicar

I suggest some dark glasses whilst wrapping that rascal! Eyestrain could seriously be a factor if you use the kind of lighting I like whilst tying a rod. It will certainly stand out on the bank if that's what you want
I will be using it for light saltwater fishing. If I get the chance it will be my mullet catcher this year.

Lewis Chessman

Well!
That colour is so inyerface it's downright rude!
:D

I don't think anything you do to that blank will make it subtle so I'd give it the full monty and go day-glo on its ass.
Tbh, my first thought was 'Jeez! Kryptonite!" then "You need to see a good urologist, mate."
Either way, a classic Radioactive or Toxic Fluids warning sticker near the butt would really look the part. :)
And if you started there with a yellow and black colour theme you could continue into the whippings - you already have a quite aggressive yellow in the bag and maybe some black A thread somewhere, too? I'd try with the yellow as the main whipping colour and maybe two spaced, single or double-turn black inserted loops trimmed in on each whipping. Have a play around with that.
I hadn't thought of test-whipping where the grip will go. Nice tip, thanks.

Can I ask, and it's out of ignorance, will the burl wood insert stand up to salt water use? All the sw rods I can think of seeing have had anodised metal seats.
On that topic, if you want to go really crazyapeshit there are some pretty acid-inspired acrylic inserts available from SedgeByNow on Etsy.
Might Sir consider this monstrosity?
Or perhaps this, if Sir's budget and taste know no limit?
I must admit though, I do rather like the look of this one but I'm really a bit of a burl fan at heart so I hope my concerns are unfounded.

Best of luck - in all things,
James.

kingf000

I've got two projects due to start once I've got all the materials. One is a 9'6'' 6/7wt rod to, hopefully, replace my Hardy Shadow. I've got a HiLevel classic blank that is currently on offer at 1/3rd of the rrp and it looks very nice: IM10, medium action, weighs only 45g. I've been making my own rings from nitinol but with the small flame I get from my wife's cooks blowtorch I've been having difficulty getting a nice shape for the larger rings, so I bought the Rec recoil stripper and 1st ring from Chapmans, who seem to be the cheapest supplier. I hope to keep the weight down to just over 70g, about 30g lighter than my Hardy Shadow. My next project will be a 9' 5wt general purpose rod, but I'm still waiting for the Aventik blank to arrive from China, which seems to be taking an age. I'll be putting on a NoonRoo aluminium ring reel seat, bought through AliExpress, that is claimed to weigh only 10g, so again the total rod should weigh under 70g, less than the Sage Method rod and about 1/15th the price.

petevicar

Well!
That colour is so inyerface it's downright rude!
:D

I don't think anything you do to that blank will make it subtle so I'd give it the full monty and go day-glo on its ass.
Tbh, my first thought was 'Jeez! Kryptonite!" then "You need to see a good urologist, mate."
Either way, a classic Radioactive or Toxic Fluids warning sticker near the butt would really look the part. :)
And if you started there with a yellow and black colour theme you could continue into the whippings - you already have a quite aggressive yellow in the bag and maybe some black A thread somewhere, too? I'd try with the yellow as the main whipping colour and maybe two spaced, single or double-turn black inserted loops trimmed in on each whipping. Have a play around with that.
I hadn't thought of test-whipping where the grip will go. Nice tip, thanks.

Can I ask, and it's out of ignorance, will the burl wood insert stand up to salt water use? All the sw rods I can think of seeing have had anodised metal seats.
On that topic, if you want to go really crazyapeshit there are some pretty acid-inspired acrylic inserts available from SedgeByNow on Etsy.
Might Sir consider this monstrosity?
Or perhaps this, if Sir's budget and taste know no limit?
I must admit though, I do rather like the look of this one but I'm really a bit of a burl fan at heart so I hope my concerns are unfounded.

Best of luck - in all things,
James.
Hi James

I took that photo in bright sunlight. When it is not sunny the blank is a little quieter.
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately all the products you have linked come from Milan in Italy. Northern Italy is shut down at the moment and nothing is moving.
The thing about the wooden insert is that it will swell if too much water gets in. If I remember to dry it then it should not be a problem. Also I want a down locking reel seat and I can't find one that has a metal spacer. Any ideas?

I was thinking of using silk thread as apposed to nylon. White will give a totally see through wrap. I was thinking of subtle colours like maybe green or orange that will fade into the colour of the blank. I'll show some pics soon.

Stay well

Pete

petevicar

I've got two projects due to start once I've got all the materials. One is a 9'6'' 6/7wt rod to, hopefully, replace my Hardy Shadow. I've got a HiLevel classic blank that is currently on offer at 1/3rd of the rrp and it looks very nice: IM10, medium action, weighs only 45g. I've been making my own rings from nitinol but with the small flame I get from my wife's cooks blowtorch I've been having difficulty getting a nice shape for the larger rings, so I bought the Rec recoil stripper and 1st ring from Chapmans, who seem to be the cheapest supplier. I hope to keep the weight down to just over 70g, about 30g lighter than my Hardy Shadow. My next project will be a 9' 5wt general purpose rod, but I'm still waiting for the Aventik blank to arrive from China, which seems to be taking an age. I'll be putting on a NoonRoo aluminium ring reel seat, bought through AliExpress, that is claimed to weigh only 10g, so again the total rod should weigh under 70g, less than the Sage Method rod and about 1/15th the price.
Sounds like interesting projects.
You seem to have found a few suppliers that are not on James' original list.
Keep us updated on progress.

Pete

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Pete, ah! I hadn't made the Italian connection but was really half joking anyway.
I'm struggling to recollect a metal d/l seat from any of the Euro sites I've been perusing recently but I haven't looked for d/l specifically. All that comes to mind is old Milbro and Daiwa rods, some of which had nice chocolate-brown and copper/brass all-metal seats in the '70s & '80s but most likely they'd rust out after a couple of trips to the beach, just like their Japanese vehicular contemporaries!
See-through wraps sure are pretty, I look forward to seeing what you decide on. :)

petevicar

Lewis Chessman

That looks perfect should you ever need one. Btw, is 'down locking' / 'locking down' a part of your Corona theme? If so, very clever! ;)

kingf000

Sounds like interesting projects.
You seem to have found a few suppliers that are not on James' original list.
Keep us updated on progress.

Pete
I've just got my package from Aventik - an IM10 medium fast action 9ft #5 blank with spare tip, blank weight 44.5g and an AAA grade handle, whatever the AAA means. First impressions are good. The finish on the blank looks as good as ones I've paid a lot more for and the handle looks at least as good as the ones on my Hardy Jet rods! All for just over £38.

petevicar

I've just got my package from Aventik - an IM10 medium fast action 9ft #5 blank with spare tip, blank weight 44.5g and an AAA grade handle, whatever the AAA means. First impressions are good. The finish on the blank looks as good as ones I've paid a lot more for and the handle looks at least as good as the ones on my Hardy Jet rods! All for just over £38.
As my old friend Mark would say "Money for nothing and the chicks for free" or maybe the other way round.

william henry

I have several metal reel seats that I have no use for .
If you send me your pm with your email address I will send you some pictures .