CTS 686 - My new project during the next few weeks of isolation.

dougieb

How does it fish / cast ? I'm debating either an Epic 686 or a CTS Quartz 686. I know both are made by CTS but I believe the tapers are different and the Epic has a little more power. Interested to hear how you got on fishing yours. Build look great

Banksie

I ordered all the bits from HiLevel in Sweden and they arrived today.
CTS Quartz 686 blank in a strange greed colour. They call it shoot maybe snot would be more appropriate.
I have a couple of different grips that I can use. I have not decided on which yet.
I also bought some thread that is pre colour preserved. I am not sure how I'll wrap the rod yet. Maybe you have some suggestions.

I usually experiment a little on the butt section, under the reel seat, to see what finished wraps look like.

I will probably start sometime next week as I have a tp section of another rod to finish.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Pete
I haven’t read through the whole thread yet but, did they send ring spacing info? Bought a fibatube years ago for an uptide rod. Phoned them for ring spacing. Used it and it came out perfect. Though you might choose to go your own way. Just a thought. I love the colour! You’ll never lose it, that for sure! 😎

petevicar

How does it fish / cast ? I'm debating either an Epic 686 or a CTS Quartz 686. I know both are made by CTS but I believe the tapers are different and the Epic has a little more power. Interested to hear how you got on fishing yours. Build look great
I have not had a chance to cast it as yet and I think my only chance in the near future will be on grass. I live very close to a river but it is the Rhine and that is like fishing on the M1.

petevicar

I haven’t read through the whole thread yet but, did they send ring spacing info? Bought a fibatube years ago for an uptide rod. Phoned them for ring spacing. Used it and it came out perfect. Though you might choose to go your own way. Just a thought. I love the colour! You’ll never lose it, that for sure! 😎
I got a spacing chart from the CTS website.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Pete, I don't know why but I dropped out of alerts for this thread and missed the unveiling. It's a stunner, well done! Far more decorous than I'd imagined. :)
May I ask, if that is your name on the rod how did you achieve it?

petevicar

Hi James
That is my name and I used a sheet of decal paper that can be printed using an inkjet printer.
I got it from tackle24 in Germany but I think you can also get some through Amazon.
As with all computer printers it can only properly print darker things. So you need a light coloured blank to use the printed decals.
I also printed some mullet pics.

Lewis Chessman

Thanks, Pete, it looks terrific. I've tried decal paper myself (the chessman in my avatar in fact) but found the ink so weak it was largely lost on a slate black graphite. More recently I've hand-written in white ink on transparent decal paper. It can take an entire sheet or more before I get something I can live with as my script looks like a spider's web - a spider on LSD, that is!

Funny you mention Tackle24 - I'm considering one of their Fireneedle blanks, an 11' #6. I fear it may be too fast for my wants but it sure has an interesting cloth pattern on the ground surface.
Oh! Dinner's ready. Laters! :)

Latest posts