CTS Affinity nymphing rod build advice

dave b

I'm going to build a nymph rod over Xmas and I'm looking at the CTS Affinity X either 2# or 3# blank in a 10ft. Does anybody have any experience using these blanks as CTS are traditionally known as being a little pokey in which case a 2# may be the better option? Any advice would be appreciated.

The next question is to do with thread choice. Ideally I want a black almost translucent thread with a hint of burgundy. FishHawk chestnut looks not far away but I'm not sure if it is translucent or dark enough as I'm looking for only the slightest hint of red in the whipping so it looks almost black to suit a dark rosewood reel seat. If anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave

LukeNZ

I'm going to build a nymph rod over Xmas and I'm looking at the CTS Affinity X either 2# or 3# blank in a 10ft. Does anybody have any experience using these blanks as CTS are traditionally known as being a little pokey in which case a 2# may be the better option? Any advice would be appreciated.

The next question is to do with thread choice. Ideally I want a black almost translucent thread with a hint of burgundy. FishHawk chestnut looks not far away but I'm not sure if it is translucent or dark enough as I'm looking for only the slightest hint of red in the whipping so it looks almost black to suit a dark rosewood reel seat. If anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave

With CTS you can specify going up or down a weight or two in the tip and butt sections, so you can create your preferred action for a given line weight.

So for example, if we say a progressive medium fast taper is standard in each line weight.
We can go up a line weight in the tip and get - fast, go up two weights for extra fast in the given line wt.
Or, we can go down a weight in the butt section for a more parabolic through action, etc.

I haven’t been to their production facility in Auckland for a while, but I know that is something you can specify for certain tube classes/rod material range.

US rod makers that get blanks from CTS, Meiser, ACR, etc,. use that facility to create specific actions and rod lengths in the same weight and material.

There used to be a form on the CTS website where you can select those options - I don’t think it cost too much more, if anything?

🙃

bonito

Thanks,
Dave

Can`t help you on the blank but thread wise, this any good. Very dark red mind you it`s on a burgundy blank.

P1010632.JPG

splinters

If you check the CTS site they offer a range of colours. I got a dark blue blank and wrapped it in royal blue, I like it a lot. I nearly went for burgandy wrapped in red like Bonito's picture but didn't as I already had a dark red rod. If you want a really translucent wrap, consider using silk. These people are dying Pearsalls raw silks. https://morus-silk.com/?v=79cba1185463
Simon.

goldenolive

I built an affinity x 9ft9" 2wt a couple of seasons ago.
I would say it is very fast and closer to a 3wt or 4wt.
I used pearsalls white thread which went transparent when varnished.
I have just agreed to buy a friends 10ft 3wt affinity mx which has more flex and is more of a medium action.

dave b

I built an affinity x 9ft9" 2wt a couple of seasons ago.
I would say it is very fast and closer to a 3wt or 4wt.
I used pearsalls white thread which went transparent when varnished.
I have just agreed to buy a friends 10ft 3wt affinity mx which has more flex and is more of a medium action.

I may have second thoughts and go for Marks new 10ft 6in 2/3# Taniwha Nano Helix blank from what I can gather designed/made by a former CTS designer.

goldenolive

The Taniwha Nano Helix blank sounds very interesting at a very good price point.
I will have a look at those blanks, might make a good winter project.

dave b

Decided to go for the Taniwha 10ft 6in 2/3# with a Struble D20 Downlocking reel seat, H&H Seymo single leg guides and claret silk thread.

Hopefully I'll be able to put it together for the Xmas break and will give my thoughts on the blank once I've had the chance to use it.

Last edited:

dougieb

Decided to go for the Taniwha 10ft 6in 2/3# with a Struble D20 Downlocking reel seat, H&H Seymo single leg guides and claret silk thread.

Hopefully I'll be able to put it together for the Xmas break and will give my thoughts on the blank once I've had the chance to use it.
I'm considering one of these blanks so would love to get your feedback once you have built it up and had a chance to test it out

dave b

Dougie.

The blank arrived yesterday, first impressions are very positive. Fast action bending through the blank, slim and light at 48g.

I'll have to ring it to see how the action changes when I ring it. I'll let you know in about two weeks time.

dougieb

Dougie.

The blank arrived yesterday, first impressions are very positive. Fast action bending through the blank, slim and light at 48g.

I'll have to ring it to see how the action changes when I ring it. I'll let you know in about two weeks time.
Good to hear. Are you going to stick to Marks suggested spacing? Looks like the stripper guide is on the second section rather than the first which would be my preference for euro nymphing.

dave b

Good to hear. Are you going to stick to Marks suggested spacing? Looks like the stripper guide is on the second section rather than the first which would be my preference for euro nymphing.
I've looked at Marks and the ESN spacing and will tape the eyes on so I can run a line through it to see which I prefer when the rod is under tension.

kaney

I've looked at Marks and the ESN spacing and will tape the eyes on so I can run a line through it to see which I prefer when the rod is under tension.
How's the build going Dave have you decided on the spacing and which one did you go for . I fancy this rod as my next build

dave b

Kaney the rod build was going fine until I applied the resin and every blemish in the whipping has shown through, used Tire thread and I'm going to strip it and re-do it as a few lessons have been learned.

The reel seat which is a Struble D20 with a dark wood insert is superb. I'm happy with the cork and winding check and also with the Taniwha spacing.

Although the rod is rated 2/3 the blank is very thin, (8.35mm), light, (2.9oz finished) and fast with excellent recovery. If I can get the finish right its will compare favourably with any 10ft 6in rod you could mention including the Marryat Tactical Pro 10ft 3in 3# which I have owned noting the Marryat has a softer more sensitive tip but is a wider diameter blank and possibly isn't as fast, (I'd say it's better nymph rod).

Forget the 2/3# rating this is a fast 3# that casts a 3# fly line absolutely superbly. I haven't tried it with a 4# but I have no doubt it will handle a 4# at short to mid range.

I was surprised at how well it casts a 3# it was as good as my old Hardy Zephrus that I still regret selling to this day.

It balances well with a Hardy Ultralite 3/4/5 reel and is feather light better than some 10ft rods.

I'll re-whip it over the next week or so and take a little more care when applying resin noting the flexcoat lite was very easy to work with, noting the change in colour of the whipping in the pics.

It is a great blank which will I'm sure be a great all rounder that will excel at Klink and Dink, spider and dry fly fishing. I'm pretty sure it will also be a decent nymphing rod.

When this is complete I'll be buying the 9ft 5# as that could be a very special rod if the blank is as good, particularly for still waters as it is faster than the original Taniwha Nano Helix which comes in at a lower price point.

Pics below

Attachments

• 20211214_143756.jpg
    20211214_143756.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211214_143813.jpg
    20211214_143813.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20211212_114106.jpg
    20211212_114106.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

GEK79

Kaney the rod build was going fine until I applied the resin and every blemish in the whipping has shown through, used Tire thread and I'm going to strip it and re-do it as a few lessons have been learned.

The reel seat which is a Struble D20 with a dark wood insert is superb. I'm happy with the cork and winding check and also with the Taniwha spacing.

Although the rod is rated 2/3 the blank is very thin, (8.35mm), light, (2.9oz finished) and fast with excellent recovery. If I can get the finish right its will compare favourably with any 10ft 6in rod you could mention including the Marryat Tactical Pro 10ft 3in 3# which I have owned noting the Marryat has a softer more sensitive tip but is a wider diameter blank and possibly isn't as fast, (I'd say it's better nymph rod).

Forget the 2/3# rating this is a fast 3# that casts a 3# fly line absolutely superbly. I haven't tried it with a 4# but I have no doubt it will handle a 4# at short to mid range.

I was surprised at how well it casts a 3# it was as good as my old Hardy Zephrus that I still regret selling to this day.

It balances well with a Hardy Ultralite 3/4/5 reel and is feather light better than some 10ft rods.

I'll re-whip it over the next week or so and take a little more care when applying resin noting the flexcoat lite was very easy to work with, noting the change in colour of the whipping in the pics.

It is a great blank which will I'm sure be a great all rounder that will excel at Klink and Dink, spider and dry fly fishing. I'm pretty sure it will also be a decent nymphing rod.

When this is complete I'll be buying the 9ft 5# as that could be a very special rod if the blank is as good, particularly for still waters as it is faster than the original Taniwha Nano Helix which comes in at a lower price point.

Pics below
The rod looks fantastic and thanks for sharing.

dave b

The re-whipping is going well, 2nd section done, No 3 and 4 to go. The Prowrap 349 size A thread is much better to work with and gives a lovely red cast to the finish, matching the Struble reel seat nicely.

The Seymo Guides and Blanks single leg TW1 and TW2 snake guides which are thinner wire and wider internal dia than the standard rings, needed no work to fit them and look the part. If I can get this finish on all of the rings I'll be happy.

20211215_133632.jpg