CTS Affinity.

splinters

I posted on another thread about getting this blank in and somehow skipping customs. I received the documents from Fedex today and still no bill.🤞
Anyway, a 10'#5 Affinity X wrapped in royal blue with two turns of gold tipping. Blue dyed burl maple insert in a nickel silver reel seat. Short fighting butt holding the end cap from the reel seat which I got a local jeweller to engrave my name on. The alignment marks are jungle cock nails.
name.JPG

insert.JPG

cap.JPG

jcnails.JPG

decal.JPG

There has been discussion here in the past about writing on the blank. One solution from James I think, is to write on a waterslide decal and use that, as it's easier than writing on the round blank. So I sent off for clear waterslide paper. Of course they sent white instead but it was a happy accident. In a rare moment of clarity I found my answer. I opened a text box in Word and wrote my name in it. Then I selected 'no colour' for the font, effectively white. Finally I selected dark blue as the background fill colour and after tweaking it in the 'other colours link', a bit I got a match for the blank colour. Printed it off, et voila.The dark blue blank shines through a little but it's a lot better than my handwriting. I think it would be even better on a black or grey blank. Now I'll sit back and wait for you all to tell me that everyone does this and you don't know what kept me figuring it out.
I cast the rod today for the first time and was pleased that it wasn't too fast for my tastes. (I'd been a bit nervous about that.) It's the last day of our season on Sunday so I've got to organise a short notice trip somewhere now.
Simon.

JayP

Yes, Chesnut spirit stain Jason. Btw just found your online shop, nice.
S.
Chestnut stuffs great, I ask as I have some spalted Quercus Suber that has great spalting but needs a little lift in the wood colour department.

Etsy shop will soon be replaced with a dedicated website 😉, apparently this year has been a great cork season so hopefully there will be some true flor grade coming soon

GEK79

I posted on another thread about getting this blank in and somehow skipping customs. I received the documents from Fedex today and still no bill.🤞
Anyway, a 10'#5 Affinity X wrapped in royal blue with two turns of gold tipping. Blue dyed burl maple insert in a nickel silver reel seat. Short fighting butt holding the end cap from the reel seat which I got a local jeweller to engrave my name on. The alignment marks are jungle cock nails.
View attachment 44864

View attachment 44865
View attachment 44866
View attachment 44868
View attachment 44867
There has been discussion here in the past about writing on the blank. One solution from James I think, is to write on a waterslide decal and use that, as it's easier than writing on the round blank. So I sent off for clear waterslide paper. Of course they sent white instead but it was a happy accident. In a rare moment of clarity I found my answer. I opened a text box in Word and wrote my name in it. Then I selected 'no colour' for the font, effectively white. Finally I selected dark blue as the background fill colour and after tweaking it in the 'other colours link', a bit I got a match for the blank colour. Printed it off, et voila.The dark blue blank shines through a little but it's a lot better than my handwriting. I think it would be even better on a black or grey blank. Now I'll sit back and wait for you all to tell me that everyone does this and you don't know what kept me figuring it out.
I cast the rod today for the first time and was pleased that it wasn't too fast for my tastes. (I'd been a bit nervous about that.) It's the last day of our season on Sunday so I've got to organise a short notice trip somewhere now.
Simon.
Look forward to an update.. Fabulous as always..

Gdog

That's a really cool looking rod, particularly the dyed blue burl maple insert.

splinters

The alingment dots are actually very simple. You just soak the nails in colour preserver and set them on. When the preserver dries the feathers are glued in place well enough to hold until you fix them with epoxy finish. The preserver dries clear and disappears under the resin. It works for any feather inlay. Simples.
S.

Latest posts