Curlews are back.

scobo

Haven't seen or heard any curlews yet but saw and heard the first Skylarks of the year.
That's the start of spring for me !

diawl bach

Haven't seen or heard any curlews yet but saw and heard the first Skylarks of the year.
That's the start of spring for me !
Same here, heard one on opening day, the word "uplifting" for their song seems particularly apt - not in the lingerie sense I hasten to add, I'm sure we could all think of a group of birds which that would apply to.

Cap'n Fishy

There’s loads of them feeding away on the pitches along at Inverleith,Goldenacre, right in the middle of town..👍
I spotted your post, so did a slight detour from my usual path this afternoon - up and alongside the Goldenacre pitches. Sure enough - couple of dozen curlews enjoying the distinct lack of rugby being played...

A whaup bob a loo bop a whaup bam boom...

They wiz diggin' fur wurrims. 🤭

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Finally spotted around 20 this morning while out with the dug.
Great to hear that unmistakable call again.
It was really strange, walking along the cycle path in the middle of the city yesterday, where the usual sounds are coming from wrens and robins and blackbirds and thrushes... and the plaintiff call of the curlew comes across from the playing fields...

Col

Jason 70

A little off-kilter but does anyone remember the animated classics series from the 1970s? And particularly the episode The Last of the Arctic Curlews? I've searched youtube but nothing. Mates of my age think I imagined it.

scobo

Much bigger flock of Curlew in the field this morning, a good 40-50. Nice to see them is such healthy numbers.
One bird I haven't seen so much of lately is the Lapwing.
Are they in decline here ?

easker1

couple of siskins on my feeders today, as I am locked in I sat in the garden and watched them while I had a cuppa, easker1

Latest posts