Curlews arrived today 8/3/18

3lbgrayling

About 40 Curlews arrived on the hill behind our loch this morning.What a glorious sight and sound,they were all so excited.I just love them.Also one of the members was sure he saw an Osprey a few days ago.It is early but definitely possible.1 turned up at Menteith at the end of Feb 2 or 3 years ago.very risky business as the lochs can still get frozen over for a considerable time

Jim

G

guest37226

Great news they have been hovering around here for approx 4 weeks only a couple of birds but the last few day they have really arrived. So Spring is here Brilliant :thumbs:

cb

Fish&Fly
Staff member
About 40 Curlews arrived on the hill behind our loch this morning.What a glorious sight and sound,they were all so excited.I just love them.Also one of the members was sure he saw an Osprey a few days ago.It is early but definitely possible.1 turned up at Menteith at the end of Feb 2 or 3 years ago.very risky business as the lochs can still get frozen over for a considerable time

Jim
Some curlews arrived today along with hundreds of lapwings. Still plenty of snow too!

Mind you the starlings have been fooling me by singing "curlew" for a while now!

scobo

Saw a few Curlews near us just before the big freeze last week but haven't seen them again since.
Plenty buzzards on the go just now, probably on the look-out for dead things now the snow is melting.

Mrtrout

Some curlews arrived today along with hundreds of lapwings. Still plenty of snow too!

Mind you the starlings have been fooling me by singing "curlew" for a while now!
Which area of Cumbria Colin, I’m northern lakes Penrith area.
S.

sewinbasher

I really wish I could say the same as the melodic trilling call of the curlew was the backdrop to my fishing in my youth in Monmouthshire and also in my current home in the Vale of Clwyd but they seem to have largely disappeared and it's a long time since I've seen or heard one apart from on the coast in Winter.

G

guest54

Curlew, often heard, never seen, it'll probably happen when I least expect it, rather like when I almost stepped on a Woodcock, that'll get your heart beating faster.

george387

arrived in The Yorkshire dales 4 weeks ago, about 20 of them where I fish, a beautiful sight & great to hear them back as I was fishing..love seeing these birds.

3lbgrayling

Well what a difference 5 Deg makes, 8 deg today.Birds pairing up and singing from the top of the trees.100+ Lapwings,50 + graylags,1000 Pinkfeet, 20 Curlews several Ravens 1 Peregrine.Noticeable lack of fieldfares/redwings(heading home on a west wind ?)
Spring is on the way

Jim

G

guest54

Well what a difference 5 Deg makes, 8 deg today.Birds pairing up and singing from the top of the trees.100+ Lapwings,50 + graylags,1000 Pinkfeet, 20 Curlews several Ravens 1 Peregrine.Noticeable lack of fieldfares/redwings(heading home on a west wind ?)
Spring is on the way

Jim
You optimist you, let's hope so.:thumbs: