Current Rod builders?

Overmiwadrers

So apart from Luke bannister are there any cane rod builders around that can be recommended , A few years ago there was Tim Harris but he seems to have disappeared. Anyone got a recommendation??? I am after a 7ft /4 wt

O M W

Last edited:

ausie12013

So apart from Luke bannister are there any cane rod builders around that can be recommended , A few years ago there was Tim Harris but he seems to have disappeared. Anyone got a recommendation??? I am after a 7ft /4 wt

O M W
Hi I have a Tim Harris 6ft 3in 3wt if your interested .Having to give up due to ill health Cheers Ausie

william henry

There are approximately 20 UK rodmakers that are still active of which approximately 12 are enthusiastic amateurs who still churn out a quality product .
Before you decide on a maker or two to approach I would suggest you set your budget as a tier 1 maker will be in excess of £2000 , a tier 2 maker will be around the £750 - £1000 and the enthusiastic amateur may sell a rod as part of his learning curve for little more than the cost of the components .
Like anything in this world “you pays your money and you takes your pick”

Overmiwadrers

There are approximately 20 UK rodmakers that are still active of which approximately 12 are enthusiastic amateurs who still churn out a quality product .
Before you decide on a maker or two to approach I would suggest you set your budget as a tier 1 maker will be in excess of £2000 , a tier 2 maker will be around the £750 - £1000 and the enthusiastic amateur may sell a rod as part of his learning curve for little more than the cost of the components .
Like anything in this world “you pays your money and you takes your pick”

The original question was for recommendations . Not had a cane rod built for a few years, I know there are a lot of builders hence the question. As for budget well these days spending on fly fishing is my indulgence.

O M W

G

GEK79

The original question was for recommendations . Not had a cane rod built for a few years, I know there are a lot of builders hence the question. As for budget well these days spending on fly fishing is my indulgence.

O M W
There's a thread in the rod building section by Lewis chessman I think there is a cane section.. If not reach out to him..

william henry

If money is no object then contact Edward Barber and Callum Gladstone , these are the best we have produced ( now T Moran has passed).

stevel

Don't forget there will be a waiting list to have a rod commissioned. The last one I had from Gary Marshall it was 18 months, however with this Covid crisis things may have changed where people aren't willing to spend or have cancelled orders so these times may have dropped.
Finishing quality of Gary's rods is amazing.

Damo

Another vote for Gary Marshall. I found him great to communicate with and very willing to give advice and listen to what I wanted from the rod. The finished rod looks excellent and fishes exactly the way I wanted it to. I got mine about 18 months ago and I think the waiting list at that time was only 4 or 5 months.

Latest posts