D-Flex Rods

RPS

I have seen the name of these rods/concept for a few months and wondered whether to delay purchase of another "essential" rod to see whether these D-flex rods were going to be something really new. The following is very interesting and so I am publishing for all, I have Mr Norwich's permission to publish.

"The process is still in development.The prototypes are being tested now and will be finalised for production very soon. It will not be too long till they are on the market. I'm sorry but there is no printed promotional material. There won't be any. It will all be online soon.Trout and Salmon Double Handed models will be available utilizing the concept.

In the meantime this is what the new D-Flex concept rods are all about. The following is an early extract from the web text we are constructing.

D-Flex? That means nothing to you fly fisher folk I know. It will soon though……. D-Flex is an entirely new rod concept. I know you have heard that statement before from fly rod manufacturers..... D-Flex is something radically different though. D-Flex (A registered trade mark,with a world wide patent on the concept) is uniquely different. D-Flex is based on a triangular trilobal rod shaft cross section. Actually a Reuleaux Trangular (click for information) trilobal cross section.

What is unique about that? Briefly this unusual triangular trilobal cross section has amazing properties.

(A) It has a naturally occurring plane of bending. Translated into a fly cast, that means that it is impossible for it to deviate of the chosen course the caster inputs. It cannot wander out of line during from the back to the forward cast. It tracks through the casting arc as true as a bullet fired from a gun.

(B) It has two different bending moments from one plane to the other when combined within a tapered rod shaft.

The triangular trilobal rod shaft turns from a full loading medium action on the back cast into a stiffer middle to tip action on the forward cast.

Excitingly - what that mean is that any energy stored in the rod shaft on the cast as you lift line from the water into the back cast, is release by the rod shaft in an entirely different way
on the forward cast - the rod then becomes a stiffer lever. The line is propelled with seemingly little effort off into the far distance.

D-Flex cross section when compared with the same volume of similar carbon material in a regular tubular carbon rod section is stronger and stiffer in any plane than tubular construction.

Used to its full potential D-Flex Trilobal construction can be made lighter than tubular carbon fly rods. D-Flex rods exhibit an overall higher performance and recovery rate for any given rod taper or action that tubular construction.

I have to admit to not fully understanding the technical stuff, but the concept of such a rod and concept that could be tailored to specific roles is exciting. A rod with a tippier action for casting and softer action for playing a fish....could be wonderful. I am guessing that the design of the blank will, in effect, create an exagerated spine to give the two different actions.

Last edited:

Carlos

Ahhh the old trilobal, when I was a lad we had to hunt high and low for a suitable ash or willow trilobal stick to dangle a line and hook off.

Now all I have is IMS8 Carbon Fibre to use ........ them were the days.

stevel

I must confess to being very interested in David's rods, having bookmarked his site for years, and been looking at it more closely of late, for some rods of specific situations.
I am not sure I would like the thought of a rod which is tippy in casting but more medium in playing a fish though. I like the fact that his "performance rating" takes into many different factors, so that if you choose an A3 or a C3, that's what you're expecting to get, not a B2 in casting and a C3 in playing.
As I have been an other green rod fan maker for years who specialize (in general) in medium actions, this concept may be a little bizarre for me.

I would like to see more about the development of this product when available though.

Cheers,
Steve

Endrick

I like David Norwich rods very much I have two of them and one has been in action every year for 18 seasons as my regular sea trout rod.

However this concept intrigues me. I can see this working for overhead casts however most of my casting is of the roll casting variety.

Intuitively one would assume that rather than a smooth transition during a roll cast that the rod would click between preferred planes of bending. Would that be right?

stevel

This is very interesting.
I am guessing that one of the flat surfaces is on the upperside of the blank, and the apex is on the bottomside, giving a softer action or the backcast but a stiffer one on the forward cast? (or the other way around??).
I can't see how a roll cast would give a different result to an overhead cast.

Though for a roll cast would you not want a fuller load on the forward cast?

Last edited:

RPS

I’m not a rod designer, though I have built a number of rods from components. When I chose blanks I considered the roles that the rod has to perform, ie playing a fish, controlling line, casting …. and then gone on to TRY and find a blank and ring it to arrive at a rod that I want …but it is always a compromise. If these blanks allow me to have a soft/gentle, yet strong progressive action through to the butt of the rod, then that would suit me perfectly for playing powerful salmon. At the same time, there are times when I would like a stiffer/faster blank for casting that is not available by simply ringing according to the blank’s spine.

Initially the concept of this D-Flex blank having two planes is interesting because it clearly opens up a number of new avenues/options to the rod designer/builder (carp, sea, etc etc), and even though it may not be possible to have a dual purpose rod performing to the degree I want, with two contrasting actions available I may get 90% of what I see as the ideal as opposed to the present 65%.

A rod with a tip action for casting and medium action for playing a fish has got to be considered a best seller in the general market.

stevel

Why would it be stiffer for casting and softer for playing?
Presumably when forward casting or playing, it should act the same unless some are prone to use different planes (sides) in fighting? Though I am making assumptions on all front as to how the blank is assembled and aligned and what effect a plane or an apex has on the casting deflection.

I'm also not sure how a rod which has both a stiff and medium action would be received either. From what I can see, there is the go-faster crowd liking the GLXD, TCR, et al, and the Winston, ScottG, cane crowd, and ne'er the twain shall meet (or very infrequently). In my own case, I would never like a rod which is tip-actioned, because I just don't like the feel of casting stiff tip-actioned rods. I don't want to just feel the load on the backcast.

It may also be disconcerting for instance, whilst playing a fish on a slow/medium plane, then by slightly turning the wrist to change the angle, it all of a sudden stiffens up!

Again this all speculation, as we know nothing of the new rod except from the brief blurb you reproduced above.

Last edited:

Garioch

Shimano have an oval carp rod that has "two actions"...a stiff casting action but turn the wrist through 90 degrees and its a soft players rod.

Not seen one in the flesh and i do question how it would work, especially with large stand off rings.

Another development that is on the market just now is a carbon rod that stiffens dramatically when a small electrical current is passed along it. I cant remamber what the technology is called though...sorry. Basically for casting the rod is "charged".

As an amateur rod builder I find all this facinating..and also very misunderstood by the general person wanting a rod from me.

There is far too much rubbish written in mags about "oh, this blank is the best coz its stiff and you can cast miles"..coz thats not what a fishing rod needs to be.

RPS

I had heard of a blank with an oval section but didn’t realise it was out in the market. The idea of twisting a rod around to result in a substantially stiffer rod is quite appealing as it would give the angler many more options, in casting and say controlling a fish. I have a catch that is terrible for the single fact that when you hook a salmon it heads to the other side of this rock with sharp edges and guess what…with a fly in its mouth! I have long wished for a rod that would automatically become stiff to allow a foot more clearance than I can get by trying to reach for the sky or jumping.

I always thought that such concepts would come from a push button device that could increase/decrease air pressure inside a rod (admittedly fanciful) but I had never thought of an electric current in the blank!

For some of the restricted places I fish for salmon I would love a fast casting rod, but it is the playing of the salmon that lets down such a rod. Mainly for the reason of playing/controlling/keeping a salmon calm, but also the massive flexibility of casting available from them, and therefore most of my salmon fishing is done with butt actioned/slow spey rods. Having the benefit of two rod actions would, I am sure, get me to or at least closer to my ideal fishing rod. That the energy from the blank would be more focussed is another plus.

Stevel,
It is correct to write that I have limited info but I don’t completely understand all that I received and don’t want to go way out on a limb or start inventing things because of my lack of understanding/comprehension of the technical facts. I suspect you are exactly the sort of person who couldn’t get enough of such info and so I suggest you ask David Norwich, he is on this forum as D-Flex (I am not him and I do not have shares either!).

David Norwich

Another development that is on the market just now is a carbon rod that stiffens dramatically when a small electrical current is passed along it. I cant remamber what the technology is called though...sorry. Basically for casting the rod is "charged".

I'm intrigued. :) That's a new one on me. Do you have a link to some information on that Garioch?

David.

Latest posts