Dacron as a shooting line?

Caecilius

Hello all,

I recently bought some 30ft shooting heads to use on my 8wt rod and 6wt switch rod. I've bought a .032" floating running line which I'm happy with, and plan to experiment with other running lines once I have more experience using the heads.

Having looked into the different types of shooting line used out there, I can see that the two most common choices are a thin fly line like I have, or a monofilament line. Is there any reason why one wouldn't use dacron as a shooting line, given how light and thin it is? Or is its limpness too much of an impediment to make it worthwhile? I've only seen dacron used in this way once on a YouTube video.

Uncas

I think Dacron and Gelspun would only be useful for your backing.
You can get very thin running lines from Guideline.

Caecilius

Thanks for the reply Uncas. I'll be trying some mono lines in the future - it'll be interesting to see how it compares to fly line in distance and head turnover.

original cormorant

You'd be better with a heavy braid than dacron, but I still wouldn't bother. Amnesia used to be the favourite mono.

daniport

Sunray amnesia would be your best bet. The problem you will find with dacron backing is that it will tangle too easily, also it will catch on shooting through the rod rings and in no time you will be spending more time picking at knots rathe than casting

Caecilius

Thanks both - I will need to invest in some Amnesia and give it a go. This afternoon I decided to try a 50lb braid and was quite pleased with its performance; as mentioned, I can see the potential for tangles, and can also see that the line could saw into the snake guides over time.