Daiwa Lochmor Z 10' 7#

running bear

Greys now appear to hold he postion that daiwa occupied in the 80s and 90s. They were the naural upgrade/aspirational brand from shakespeare for me as a teenager.
I had various moonraker beach rods (could never afford a TDPK!), spinning rods and cf98 fly rods, and their dictator pike deadbait rods in the late 90s had no equal. The dictator rods are as still as good as you can get imho, when youve a very large angry pike in amongst the snags.
Their current fly rods are all still good, but i dont think they are well (or shoukd that be heaviliy) marketed.

flounder

Greys now appear to hold he postion that daiwa occupied in the 80s and 90s. They were the naural upgrade/aspirational brand from shakespeare for me as a teenager.
I had various moonraker beach rods (could never afford a TDPK!), spinning rods and cf98 fly rods, and their dictator pike deadbait rods in the late 90s had no equal. The dictator rods are as still as good as you can get imho, when youve a very large angry pike in amongst the snags.
Their current fly rods are all still good, but i dont think they are well (or shoukd that be heaviliy) marketed.
you are correct daiwa have let themselves down badly on the marketing front same as their shore rods once upon a time their whisker kevlar and amorphous whisker rods were so far in front of the competion, nowadays they are a shadow of their former selves and greys have taken over that position, and have made a dam good job of it in the freshwater rods, unfortunately their sea rods are poor compared to the days they were made in the uk.

keef68

I think the current Daiwa fly rods are excellent quality, but I agree that they could be advertised / marketed better.

I have a couple of Lexa rods and an Airity. All really well made and with quality components.

Would be nice to see Daiwa give Greys a run for their money in the £200 to £300 price range, because I genuinely think the Daiwa rods are far superior.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadrunner1000

I had three whisker kevlar rods . All three broke !! My first flyrod was a glass Daiwa Lake Supreme . I still have it but it hasn't been used since I bought my first carbon rod in the mid 80's . A Shaky Sigma Supra with a Eva handle bought on a family touring holiday in Scotland.

keef68

Daiwa Lexa rods are superb.I am amazed they discontinued them.

Jim

Totally agree Jim, although I hadn’t appreciated that they’d discontinued them - that’s sad to hear. Glad that I still have a brand new one in 9’6” 7wt tucked away at the back of the cupboard then .

The Airity rods are lovely too, although I think they’ve now been replaced with the AGS Air range backed by Hywel Morgan. Not sure at £450, but when they’re marked down might be worth a look.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhithrogena

Further to my post above.
The 'cafe' was the Anchorage Restarant.
As posted by others, Daiwa rods are scarce on ebay and the ones that do appear are pretty dear.
Maybe appreciation has arrived.
Rusty
Still plenty coming up for sale. As a result of this thread I had a wee look on the Bay and just scored a Whisker 9' #5/6 for £17.05. The tube would cost more than that new!
Another fly rod - just what I needed 😂

Rhithrogena

Still plenty coming up for sale. As a result of this thread I had a wee look on the Bay and just scored a Whisker 9' #5/6 for £17.05. The tube would cost more than that new!
Another fly rod - just what I needed 😂
Funnily enough I used this rod this evening up at Colliford. NW gale but tucked myself away in Lord's Waste and winkled out a couple on dries. It's a very nice rod, slow and steady. I use a DT4 on it which quickens it up a tad.....

Elwyman

I've had some decent Daiwa rods over the years, always good value. The Lochmor I had was very good until I managed to break it.