Fly Fishing Forum banner

Daiwa Lochmor Z 10' 7#

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Elwyman 
#1 ·
Saw this S/H on the bay today.was local so put in a bid and won it. collected it(VG condition).Saving the postage.:p.Decided as I was oot the hoose.I would just go and test it to see if it was as good as I remembered.The great news is It is as good as I remember.I had several fish on it including a D/Hookup.:LOL: a very good casting rod.but even better a great fishing. rod with a fish on.Great result, and did not cost an arm and a leg.Not to everyones liking as it is a 2 pc..but that's not a problem for me.

Jim

#10 ·
I have several Daiwa rods.From Spinning(don't do it any more) to light trout. Heavy trout, and Salmon all are excellent. and some of my best fish have been caught on Daiwa tackle.I would think that in the UK more CF 98/99 and WF 99 trout fly rods have been sold than any other make.

Jim

#13 ·
Well done Jim, I really like the early Daiwa Fly Rods, I had a Daiwa back in the day, it is long gone now. I will be looking out to pick one up at the right price. Ref the 2 piece not an issue. Could you kindly tell me the weight of your Lochmor Z10 please. It is not a deal breaker for me, I am just interested.

Cheers Martin

#19 ·
I like Lochmor rods.
The first Daiwa I bought was a 10ft #6-8 Regal about 1992. It is 2 piece, unground and through action. A rhubarb stick by modern standards but a nice rod for relaxed dabling on stillwaters.
About 2002 I bought two Lochmor X rods together from Sportsmail. The 81/2ft #5 and the 9ft #6. I used the former for dry fly fishing. It was my go to rod for taking from the house to the local river.
A local coach leant me his Orvis T3 (8!/2ft #5)in the hope of selling it to me. I found it little different to the Daiwa, which surprised me, so his hopes failed. The 9ft #6 is probably the best put together rod I own and I do have rods by fancier makes. It deserves more use. A great rod for casting the shores of wild lakes for wild fish. The only downside of these rods is that they came in non partitioned bags but that is easily remedied.
Being impressed by my Daiwa rods I went on to buy two more. By that time the X and Z models had been discontinued but the blanks were incorporated in the later Lochmor Fast Action and Lochmor Progressive Action. Well, that is what Daiwa informed me.
I bought the 81/2ft 'X'. So it was returned. A 'Progressive' was duly obtained. This was a great rod but had a crack in the epoxy of the stripping ring. So that was replaced too. The final rod was fine apart from the rod tube being far too long. Since I bought the rod at A good price I had to live with that. The rod has great reviews by Magnus Angus and in his review he said the rod would cast a whole flyline. He tested it with a #5 line. But the rod is rated at #4/5 and I have found that with a #4 it is a really good river rod.
With a trip to Scouie imminent I thought I had better have a 4 piece 91/2ft #7 rod. So I ordered a Lochmor Progressive. It duly arrived and was a cracking rod. The rod comes with a butt extention and a rubber button, only the rubber button was missing. A phonecall to 'Helen' at Daiwa and a spare button was forwarded. I mentioned to Helen that the button was coming back to Scotland in a few days time as I was off to Scourie. She mentioned that her relatives owned the cafe just down from the Hotel.
On arriving at Scourie I was walking down from the Hotel towards the bay when I remembered that the cafe I was outside was the one referred to by Helen. I called in and over a coffee I recalled the story. I was treated as one of the family as I 'knew' 'Aunt Helen'
Highly recommended.
Rusty

#21 ·
Greys now appear to hold he postion that daiwa occupied in the 80s and 90s. They were the naural upgrade/aspirational brand from shakespeare for me as a teenager.
I had various moonraker beach rods (could never afford a TDPK!), spinning rods and cf98 fly rods, and their dictator pike deadbait rods in the late 90s had no equal. The dictator rods are as still as good as you can get imho, when youve a very large angry pike in amongst the snags.
Their current fly rods are all still good, but i dont think they are well (or shoukd that be heaviliy) marketed.

#22 ·
Greys now appear to hold he postion that daiwa occupied in the 80s and 90s. They were the naural upgrade/aspirational brand from shakespeare for me as a teenager.
I had various moonraker beach rods (could never afford a TDPK!), spinning rods and cf98 fly rods, and their dictator pike deadbait rods in the late 90s had no equal. The dictator rods are as still as good as you can get imho, when youve a very large angry pike in amongst the snags.
Their current fly rods are all still good, but i dont think they are well (or shoukd that be heaviliy) marketed.
you are correct daiwa have let themselves down badly on the marketing front same as their shore rods once upon a time their whisker kevlar and amorphous whisker rods were so far in front of the competion, nowadays they are a shadow of their former selves and greys have taken over that position, and have made a dam good job of it in the freshwater rods, unfortunately their sea rods are poor compared to the days they were made in the uk.

#23 ·
I think the current Daiwa fly rods are excellent quality, but I agree that they could be advertised / marketed better.

I have a couple of Lexa rods and an Airity. All really well made and with quality components.

Would be nice to see Daiwa give Greys a run for their money in the £200 to £300 price range, because I genuinely think the Daiwa rods are far superior.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Totally agree Jim, although I hadn't appreciated that they'd discontinued them - that's sad to hear. Glad that I still have a brand new one in 9'6" 7wt tucked away at the back of the cupboard then [emoji106][emoji6].

The Airity rods are lovely too, although I think they've now been replaced with the AGS Air range backed by Hywel Morgan. Not sure at £450, but when they're marked down might be worth a look.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.