Dartmoor Rivers

Prolifichare

I'm hoping to get a day on Dartmoor in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good starting point. I know Dartmoor quite well but have never fished it. I'll be downloading the passport app but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of info on the website.
Cheers

blithfield2

I've always parked at the 'Two Bridges' hotel and purchased my day ticket there. I've then walked to the side and fished the river upstream until I started to feel hungry and then walked back to the hotel for lunch. In the afternoon, I walked across the main road and fished the river there, it's more pocket water and so I take a Tenkara set up. My brother lives nearby and I introduced him to fly fishing in the area, he now has a season ticket for an absolutely ridiculous sum and the fishing can be fantastic!

Tight lines

Last edited:

pusser

You can also park up next to the post office in Postbridge, and fish up (or down) river from there (you used to be able to buy tokens from the PO). As @blithfield2 has said, it is very much pocket water, but there are some lovely stretches on the moor and the fish are wily as anything - you'll have an enjoyable day.

boisker

Do you want a full day or a shorter session?
in low water conditions I would probably head for mid / lower river on either east or west... probably west.
there’s a decent full days fishing with 1/2 mile walk from car to river... 2.5 miles fishing then 3/4 mile walk back to the car....
I could send you map/coordinates

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Cheers for the info, hopefully they'll be a bit of water in there, I love the upland pocket stuff.
Going to try and aim for full day. Any maps would be great.

Am I right to believe that apart from the ones marked in red, any of the rivers can be fished within the orange boundary?

Yes but no but!

Basically yes you are right but if you zoom in you will see there some sections have a red line on both banks and some only on one bank. Hence you can fish the true left bank of the West Dart from Hexworthy Bridge to Dartmeet and the true right bank of the East Dart from the junction with the Walla Brook to Dartmeet. You can also fish the true right bank of the Walla Brook (be aware there are other Walla Brooks on the moor). I didn't know that bit of the Cherry Brook below the B3212 was off limits, I'm sure I fished that years ago so that it might be a new change.

Andy

peal man

Had a wonderful session on Cherry Brook, dry fly fishing. Watch out for midges late summer evenings!

Latest posts