Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dawn chorus this morning

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  diawl bach 
#1 ·
We have a large population of thrushes this year, they've been singing through the night lately even though all the street lighting in the village switches off after midnight, it's a lovely sound to hear as you drift in and out of sleep.

The whooshing sound in the background is the brook which in in spate at the moment, the Nant Morw

#3 ·
Spookily enough, I was sure I heard a song thrush singing the other day. Can't think of hearing one at this time of year before? The robins carry on signing right through the winter and they have been vocal recently. There is one that positions himself beside a stone bridge and gets great amplification from the tunnel. ?

And the wrens have started up their wee song they do. Fairly sure I heard a blackbird singing yesterday. And definitely hearing bullfinches recently, though you couldn't call it a song. More a pathetic mew. ?

And the long-tailed tits are always peeping away, though more of a 'keeping in touch with each other' thing, than a song. But always nice to hear it anyway.

Not seen any redwings in the town so far this winter. A few out in the countryside, along with fieldfares.

#5 ·
What do you know, coming round the city path network this afternoon - late on - 4:00 p.m. and nearly dark... just about where I thought I heard a thrush the other day, and sure enough... high up in a tree, here he is, giving it six-nowt.

I happened to have the camera with me - it was a question of whether I could get anything with so little light - and I couldn't get all that close to him and couldn't get a clear angle. So, all things considered, I was quite pleased to get what I got...

Singing away at the top of his lungs...

The most surprising thing about the shots was the temperature of the light. Straight out of camera, ACR Auto white balance maxes out at 7500 K. At that setting, they were deep blue! It was a grey sky, so I called that a neutral and clicked on it. Corrected, the temp was 37,000 K. What? :oops:

Reactions: noel and diawl bach
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.