Day 9

DutyDruid

Well here we go again. Decided to have a look on the web at the club website and find out where the limits of their stretch of the Don runs from and to. Well found the end and decided to go and have a look, it only takes around three more minutes drive to get there. Parked up and went for a little waddle after looking over the bridge and seeing some lovely little wild fish and a banging great big sign. Private Property Strictly No Fishing, what a bummer that was. So locked the motor and walked across the road and down the path following it down stream. Absolutely stunning, almost the quintessential English river in the wood scene, but spoilt a little by the sound of Mr No Fishings neighbour smashing wood up to burn in a bin down by the river, oh and the sound of peeps chatting and car doors closing in the fishing ponds across the rivers car park. Eventually found a way down although it was looking a bit slippy, had a quick look and all good. Shot back through the kissing gate, no one to kiss so just cracked on to the car and a quick Mr Benn impression. As if by magic Ray the fly fisherman appeared, back down the path with net on back and rod in hand and the ghost of Terry Wogan in tow. Back through the gate and down the path to the way onto the river bank. Managed to get down the steps without falling, settled in and set up the rod. Bit special this set up as it was a gift from GEK79, an absolutely fabulous 4wt rod and reel. Can't express my gratitude enough and as such will name my first catch after him. Did all the usual things cast across stream, down stream and up stream, but no joy, so changed the fly. Incidentally another cracking part to this stretch of the river is it's bed, it's almost a smooth single piece of good old mother earth, well it's seems smooth, and as such wellies were all that's required to get out into the middle and beyond. I digress. Anyway, fly changes and so on so forth for another half hour or so. Had to endure an horrendous down pour, well five minutes of it spitting, around 90 mins in and then as I carefully stripped ( think that's the term ) my line back in from a decent overhead cast the fly would submerge, possibly me being too aggressive stripping ☺, bugger caught a twig again or stuck on the bottom, but NO in came GARY, not the target species but never the less the exosisor of Terry Wogan Ghost. It was a perfect excuse to get the new net wet and used after what seemed to be a life time, the little monster tried to fight but was no match for my superior size and new tackle. Had him in the net in no time a beautiful little Perch. Well the was it for the day no more takes and no more fish, didn't even see one rising. So with my new found and Ghost free outlook thought I would head back to as they say old haunting grounds and try my luck there again. As I neared the spot decided not to bother as time was drawing in and I was getting ready for a brew, so head held high in triumph I tootled off home to a marvelous cuppa and a tale to the of the day I caught a whale on a piece of cotton.
Ladies and gentlemen, ( that's if there are any on hear ) lads n lasses, chaps and chapesses I give you the one , the only...GARY and his stretch of the mighty River Don.

Attachments

Last edited:

streams

Great to hear you've broken your duck but I was wondering is the stretch of river you're fishing relatively shallow if so it could be to your benefit to fish in the evening coming into dusk better chance of more trout about and not so easily spooked or maybe early morning

DutyDruid

Great to hear you've broken your duck but I was wondering is the stretch of river you're fishing relatively shallow if so it could be to your benefit to fish in the evening coming into dusk better chance of more trout about and not so easily spooked or maybe early morning
The river is shallow, however due to ongoing medical treatment it would be very difficult to get out early in the morning and by the time evening comes around I am too knackered to go out, for now that is. When health is back to as normal as it will ever be then yes I will go out earlier and later

GEK79

Well here we go again. Decided to have a look on the web at the club website and find out where the limits of their stretch of the Don runs from and to. Well found the end and decided to go and have a look, it only takes around three more minutes drive to get there. Parked up and went for a little waddle after looking over the bridge and seeing some lovely little wild fish and a banging great big sign. Private Property Strictly No Fishing, what a bummer that was. So locked the motor and walked across the road and down the path following it down stream. Absolutely stunning, almost the quintessential English river in the wood scene, but spoilt a little by the sound of Mr No Fishings neighbour smashing wood up to burn in a bin down by the river, oh and the sound of peeps chatting and car doors closing in the fishing ponds across the rivers car park. Eventually found a way down although it was looking a bit slippy, had a quick look and all good. Shot back through the kissing gate, no one to kiss so just cracked on to the car and a quick Mr Benn impression. As if by magic Ray the fly fisherman appeared, back down the path with net on back and rod in hand and the ghost of Terry Wogan in tow. Back through the gate and down the path to the way onto the river bank. Managed to get down the steps without falling, settled in and set up the rod. Bit special this set up as it was a gift from GEK79, an absolutely fabulous 4wt rod and reel. Can't express my gratitude enough and as such will name my first catch after him. Did all the usual things cast across stream, down stream and up stream, but no joy, so changed the fly. Incidentally another cracking part to this stretch of the river is it's bed, it's almost a smooth single piece of good old mother earth, well it's seems smooth, and as such wellies were all that's required to get out into the middle and beyond. I digress. Anyway, fly changes and so on so forth for another half hour or so. Had to endure an horrendous down pour, well five minutes of it spitting, around 90 mins in and then as I carefully stripped ( think that's the term ) my line back in from a decent overhead cast the fly would submerge, possibly me being too aggressive stripping ☺, bugger caught a twig again or stuck on the bottom, but NO in came GARY, not the target species but never the less the exosisor of Terry Wogan Ghost. It was a perfect excuse to get the new net wet and used after what seemed to be a life time, the little monster tried to fight but was no match for my superior size and new tackle. Had him in the net in no time a beautiful little Perch. Well the was it for the day no more takes and no more fish, didn't even see one rising. So with my new found and Ghost free outlook thought I would head back to as they say old haunting grounds and try my luck there again. As I neared the spot decided not to bother as time was drawing in and I was getting ready for a brew, so head held high in triumph I tootled off home to a marvelous cuppa and a tale to the of the day I caught a whale on a piece of cotton.
Ladies and gentlemen, ( that's if there are any on hear ) lads n lasses, chaps and chapesses I give you the one , the only...GARY and his stretch of the mighty River Don.
Onwards and upwards mate..

DutyDruid

Well done DD and well done too GEK79 for donating the gear, a very nice gesture indeed.

B
Thanks, and a very generous donation and gentlemanly gesture from GEK79. I cannot express my gratitude enough.