De-culverting the Porter Brook - A Forum member's Account

Paul G

Pro Member
I'm sure many of you know Ant and I'm delighted to say I managed to nail his feet down and point a camera at him so he could talk about SPRITE's involvement in a complicated partnership project on a small urban tributary.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/O4hKxDe0r-E

diawl bach

Very nice - and the trout like it enough to build a home there! Top marks all round, permissions must've been one hell of a slog.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
A brilliant effort!
A pity a few more anglers can't get passionate about this sort of stuff.
In defence of a fair few posters here,the Monnow mafia and there invasive species work ,has involved many volunteers from this board and more.
As has the Wandle mob, once known as the jet set ,huge amount done by volunteers,wish I still had the stamina for dragging rubbish from there.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

somerset salmon

In defence of a fair few posters here,the Monnow mafia and there invasive species work ,has involved many volunteers from this board and more.
As has the Wandle mob, once known as the jet set ,huge amount done by volunteers,wish I still had the stamina for dragging rubbish from there.

I have noticed them;)
But the great majority of posters (and anglers in general) will argue long into the night on the cost of rods or thickness of tippet but only a handful can say "well done" on a thread like this let alone get involved.

Anyway being positive, well done again, keep up the good work :)

beryl

That's quite a story. I occasionally remove a shopping trolley or traffic cone from my urban space.. You may have a more fertile stream for some reason. The Don has some biggies. But even my malnourished Cober in deep Cornwall occasionally is visited by large trout that migrate up from a huge freshwater lake where they feed on roach accidently released into the stream after heavy floods twenty plus years ago. I haven't had one for two years now, but are unmissable in their silver livery

Tangled

That's great, I'd love to get involved in something like that. I was looking into canal clearance a while back - haven't got off my ar$e yet though.

fredaevans

Great read here; Washington and Oregon States spent millions of dollars addressing the same issue. At low water Salmon and Steelhead couldn't get up into spawning streams.

Amazing how fast a good crew could dig up a road, get the pipe installed, back fill as needed, and new road surface all in one day. Road closure was usually only 24 hours unless it was a real major project.

fae

bobc

Great work , I am truly inspired by that.
Mrs C has started to feel homesick for the family and wants to sell up here .
We are originally from Sheffield & Rotherham and this has given me the stimulus I need to help me settle in such a relatively urban environment .
I feel that when we return to the area I would like to get involved in work like this , learn to fish the Don & tributaries too, it would make a change from stillwater FF.
Bob

Latest posts