Dealing with high water

in the surface

I guess I'm like most of you guys in that my local rivers are running about 18 inches above normal level throughout this summer.

I was on the river on Sunday and hardly had any success. Two fish to a size 16 Klinkhammer was all I could manage.

I'd like to stick to dry flies (maybe a big Klinkhammer would be my best bet) but I guess the New Zealand method with a nymph on a dropper below a highly buoyant dry fly would be better?

What do you lads think?

maharg

The higher the water the closer to the nearside bank you should fish.
Never had great success with fly on a dirty river, much prefer a juicy worm.:thumbs:
Otherwise a bright nymph under a big klinky would be a good way to go.
either that or some very close range czech nymphing.

danielp

I personally think you are seriously limiting yourself by fishing only dries in high water, but if you don't enjoy nymph fishing it is fair enough.

Fish location is more important than the fly IMO, although with nothing rising I tend to use a large dry fly to give them something worth coming up for, big klink is as good as any. Concentrate on slacks, no matter how small and shallow they appear and you should have some joy, right up against the bank behind bushes or boulders produce well when the fish are pushed out the main flow.

Dan

black knight

I guess I'm like most of you guys in that my local rivers are running about 18 inches above normal level throughout this summer.

I was on the river on Sunday and hardly had any success. Two fish to a size 16 Klinkhammer was all I could manage.

I'd like to stick to dry flies (maybe a big Klinkhammer would be my best bet) but I guess the New Zealand method with a nymph on a dropper below a highly buoyant dry fly would be better?

What do you lads think?
I think the New Zealand method would probably been a better approach under the circumstances.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

flashbach

I was out yesterday & the few fish that moved were in the slower water & close to the bank. The usual summer runs were not productive. Odd fish came at my balloon caddis dry fly, ( strike indicator) but most took the tungsten bead ptn or black nymph. A size 10 woolly ****** will get the odd fish too.

in the surface

Thanks guys. Good advice here. I think I'll try the pheasant tail nymph under a big klnikhammer in the slacker water areas by the bank. Come to think of it, both my fish on sunday came from such areas. The faster areas look so inviting but I guess they're just too fast with so much water in the river.

I prefer fishing dries because they don't give a kick when casting but I like catching fish a lot more than I like smooth casting!

walney

I would second the Woolly ******* down the side. Has brought me the odd fish in very unpromising conditions when I felt the need to fish even thought the brains says no chance.

wobblybob

Fished the Ure on Sunday Worton Bridge and the water levels have dropped with the water clearing. Size 14 Klinkhammer fishing the side of the bank in slower water.A total of 5 casts taking 4 trout before a down pour. The wind was also difficult and after the rain it became to wild to cast. The previous Sunday i used the same fly and caught 2 trout and my first grayling.The fish had moved up stream to a slower stretch of water which made the long walk along the river worth while.

chase

Ive been out today and river was at least 1 foot up but not colored , fished NZ style and had about 20 browns most in the quieter water . The nymph was a size 14 Glister green nymph 2mm silver tungsten bead , its an easy tie and needs to be the amount i lose ! 4 fish took the Klink , tan colored.