December 2020 caption competition - sponsored by Allen Fly Fishing

Cap'n Fishy

The caption competition has been really quite vibrant lately. I do think that a prize of some sort should continue so as to give contestants some incentive to devise a clever caption.

Just my thoughts.

Douglas

How about having the prize donated by a member? Doesn't need to be high value. We all tend to have extra stuff we don't need, or can spare - a fly line... a hand-made priest, a box with a dozen flies, matching tubs of home-made fly-floatant and leader-sink (I could do that one 😜), a selection of deer hair of interesting colours, like sooty olive, WOIGO, sunburst, kingfisher blue, etc (I could do that one too)... etc, etc...

As a new month approaches, Admin ask for donations. Offers are made by PM to Admin, so they can choose in camera. The winner is put in touch with the person who put up the offer of the prize that Admin chose that month.

Or something along those lines...

Col

anzac

Good idea. Col.

How about Admin judging the Comp and the person whose photo is that month's subject provide a £25 gift card from any of the online Angling shops such as Angling Direct, Uttings, etc.?

suzuki15hp

Good idea. Col.

How about Admin judging the Comp and the person whose photo is that month's subject provide a £25 gift card from any of the online Angling shops such as Angling Direct, Uttings, etc.?
I think Col's idea is better, where the prize donation doesn't involve having to shell out cash, but can be something you have which is decent but spare.

eddleston123

My personal opinion is that there must be someone out their (U.K.) that would sponsor a monthly prize the same as Allen did.

A U.K. prize would not need to be off the same value, as there would be no VAT or duties.
A prize / voucher to the value of around £75 - £100 would be fine. A U.K. company would surely derive a lot more benefit from this type of advertising than one in the U.S.A

The idea of members putting up their own prize is very commendable but it would not be a constant. It would be a bit of a hit or a miss as to the value, condition, quality etc.

Just my two pence worth.

Douglas

bonefishblues

Why not go with an ever-so-simple approach where a member posts a silly picture at the start of the month, and the same member chooses the winner at month end. No prizes needed. People enjoy this daftness.

eddleston123

Why not go with an ever-so-simple approach where a member posts a silly picture at the start of the month, and the same member chooses the winner at month end. No prizes needed. People enjoy this daftness.

On the face of it - this sounds like a good idea.

The problem that I see, is that many members know other members - some of which are friends -
It may be difficult to monitor impartiality.

Douglas

bonefishblues

On the face of it - this sounds like a good idea.

The problem that I see, is that many members know other members - some of which are friends -
It may be difficult to monitor impartiality.

Douglas
But no prize, and just for fun Douglas. I know it's an occasionally fractious forum, but surely not with regard to something like this?

suzuki15hp

What about just keeping the format the same, but make the prize "a week as a forum moderator" :D

ohanzee

Maybe we need a new section for caption contest withdrawal.

Banksie

My personal opinion is that there must be someone out their (U.K.) that would sponsor a monthly prize the same as Allen did.

A U.K. prize would not need to be off the same value, as there would be no VAT or duties.
A prize / voucher to the value of around £75 - £100 would be fine. A U.K. company would surely derive a lot more benefit from this type of advertising than one in the U.S.A

The idea of members putting up their own prize is very commendable but it would not be a constant. It would be a bit of a hit or a miss as to the value, condition, quality etc.

Just my two pence worth.

Douglas
Anything really, as things are bloody hard at the moment. I’d settle for a baseball cap with ‘FFF’ or ‘Winner!’ on the front. 😎