Deer hair at 15:1

Cap'n Fishy

I present the 15:1 collection...

Assorted pieces of deer hair, all dyed with the same mix of 15:1 EBEST fluoro yellow:Jacquard Hot Fuchsia, as recommended to me by Alex F...

Col

Wee Jimmy

A fine collection there lad....I’ve got my eye on that one top left...:whistle:

bazzer485

The ones in the front look like sunburst. Very nice, I want some! Did you bleach before dyeing or did you start with natural white?
Bazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cap'n Fishy

The ones in the front look like sunburst. Very nice, I want some! Did you bleach before dyeing or did you start with natural white?
Bazza

Yep - if you start with 15:1 on white, you get sunburst. If you start with grey roe, you get WOIGO. Mix it up a bit and you get all sorts of permutations. The sunburst ones in this set were 'Nature's Spirit' white belly hair.

Col

Alex_F

Nice one, Col. Sunburst all the way through to copper olive. And that's just at 15:1. Imagine the possibilities!

Have you been declared insane yet?:D

I'm currently messing about with 7:1 - 5:1 on white Antron yarn. Interesting.

Cap'n Fishy

I'm currently messing about with 7:1 - 5:1 on white Antron yarn. Interesting.

Did you see my Orkney peach cape in the sunburst v peach thread? That was done with 5:6, in separate baths, magenta first...

Col

Alex_F

Did you see my Orkney peach cape in the sunburst v peach thread? That was done with 5:6, in separate baths, magenta first...

Col

Yes, I saw that. Pretty nice looking cape. What you're doing there is compound dyeing by eye, which is easy enough. Fling it in a colour wait for a bit. Fling it in another colour, wait for a bit and, if the material's not saturated, it'll change colour. Once it looks right, fish it out. It's certainly a damn sight easier than saying, for instance, you want 15:1 or, 5:1 or whatever. I did notice you went for magenta first. :thumbs: Definitely the way to go, given the yellow's habit of pushing other colours out.

I've been coming at it from another angle. I'm trying to find the correct ratio, so that it can be pre-mixed and that the mix takes into account the different strike rates. I came up with 15:1 based on work I'd done before and knowing that the colour of natural deer hair would shift the colour towards olive, but OP is proving tricky. It maybe that dyeing by eye is the only real way but I've had a reasonable result with 5:1 on light ginger. The plus being 5:1 gives a nice WOIGO on a light grey dun.;)

I'll take a photo later, gotta dash now.

bazzer485

Davie McPhail has a excellent video on YouTube on how to dye for Sunburst.

Cap'n Fishy

Davie McPhail has a excellent video on YouTube on how to dye for Sunburst.

I suspect you are referring to the one posted in this thread...?

Dye question

Only thing is, it's a bit uncontrolled. We've been experimenting and finding ways to control it a bit better - like determining the exact weights of the dyes for the weights of dry material... and the exact ratios of the dyes (like the 15:1 used here)... and using separate baths for the 2 colours... and adjusting the the exact timings... either by clock or by eye. ;)

But even then, for any 2 different pieces of material, you get two different results! :whistle:

Col

Alex_F

I'll take a photo later, gotta dash now.

Finally got time to take a photo...

ork-peach01.jpg

A peachy 5:1 on ginger.

woigo01jpg.jpg

A WOIGO 5:1 on light grey dun.

histogram01.jpg

An aesthetically pleasing histogram.

Cap'n Fishy

Did another selection at 15:1 - some natural, couple of pieces of home-bleached, a piece of white belly. Amazing the mix of results you get when they all go into the one bath together and all come out together...

Col

ackroyd

I enjoyed re-visiting this thread this morning with its lovely displays of dyeing workmanship, particularly in relation to dyeing roe deer fur.

The first question I have is this: I am given to understand that the fur along the midline of the back of the animal is very suitable for muddlers, hedgehogs etc. because it contains bubbles of trapped air and will float, thus enabling the fly to "pop up" after pulling. But is this true of the belly hair of this deer as well? I ask because of course the animal will bed down with its back exposed to the elements, so it makes sense that the fur there should offer insulation, but I don't know about the belly fur.

Secondly, is other deer fur, such as sika and fallow, similarly insulated?

Thirdly, I can get hold of winter roe fur quite easily but have no experience of dyeing and my missus would go crazy if I were to dye it in my flat. The reality is that if I try to do so outside using camping gas, the burners will not remain ignited until summer because there is so much wind round our house, so I'm thinking I could maybe freeze a cut or two of winter fur until balmier days come along. Which leads me on to the next question. How do I dye untanned deer fur? Do I need to adopt some sort of pre-dyeing process to remove proteins or something similar, please? Thanks in advance for all help offered.

arkle

1 thing it's worth bearing in mind, along with the other questions id that the time of year (when culled) can make quite a difference to the level of in sulating chemicals in the hair itself. As well as the age & gender of the creature.