Deer Hair Emerger

PaulD

Still churning out the emergers, and now my variation of the ever popular Deer Hair Emerger, which I tie in 14, 16 and 18.

Deer Hair Emerger

Hook:
TMC212TR, size 14
Thread: Fish On Ultimate,Brown
Body: Tan SLF
Rib: Clear strand from Christmas tree netting
Thorax: Hares Ear
Wing: Coastal Deer

Deer Hair Emerger.JPG

Gary Ridgeway

I am surprised you use barbed hooks? Wyatts fly has a very pronounced thorax, not sure you could call that a DHE.

Spider

Gary I'd suggest that tying might work better for olives and a scruffier one for sedges. There again I'm not a trout so.... Nice one Paul.

PaulD

I am surprised you use barbed hooks? Wyatts fly has a very pronounced thorax, not sure you could call that a DHE.

The TMC212Y and slightly 'heavier' TMC212TR are favoured hooks of mine, I use the 212TR for when I'm tying with Deer Hair. With regard to fishing, it's a simple and easy task to crush and flatten the barb. I have been tying flies for over 50 years and have no intention of throwing away many hundreds of hooks when I can crush a barb.

I didn't actually call it a Wyatt's DHE did I? It's an emerger, it's tied with deer hair, put them together and what have you got . . . . my, my, a Deer Hair Emerger! If you like, I'll rename it Deidre?

banag

Thank you for posting photograph. In proportion, taper, ribbing, thorax and wing, Deirdre is a lovely lady. Can't understand barbed comment.:whistle:
I've always thought of DHE's as generic flies, like Dabblers, Crunchers, Snatchers, Hedgehogs, etc., with no singular, definitive recipe.
This one is easy on the eye.

Spider

My sister is a Deirdre. She can be scruffy enough when she wants. The name works for me :)

Wee Jimmy

What’s with the negative vibes....?? I’m surprised anyone uses barbless hooks, so what...? I’m sure no one gives a **** what I like and rightly so.The hooks we prefer to use is sod all to do with anyone else.

baltic

Still churning out the emergers, and now my variation of the ever popular Deer Hair Emerger, which I tie in 14, 16 and 18.

Deer Hair Emerger

Hook:
TMC212TR, size 14
Thread: Fish On Ultimate,Brown
Body: Tan SLF
Rib: Clear strand from Christmas tree netting
Thorax: Hares Ear
Wing: Coastal Deer

View attachment 35055
perfect fishy fly

Latest posts