Definitive CDC fly tying volume

kerryjordan

Just ordered Marc Petitjean’s heavyweight tome “Marc Petitjean CDC”.
500 pages, 3000 photos and YouTube links for each fly videos. Also to-size recommended hook images to accompany each fly. 77.40 Euros delivered. Will do a mini review in due course!

kerryjordan

Just ordered Marc Petitjean’s heavyweight tome “Marc Petitjean CDC”.
500 pages, 3000 photos and YouTube links for each fly videos. Also to-size recommended hook images to accompany each fly. 77.40 Euros delivered. Will do a mini review in due course!
Well it’s here. It’s big in size, weight and content. A reference book that will be or already is a classic. Printed on good quality satin finish paper it is profusely illustrated with high quality photographs; in particular the fly tying sequences are excellent and taken by Barry Ord Clarke, another fly tying maestro. The flies comprise both his traditional established patterns and newer simpler patterns. Each fly has a guide to the materials needed and a to-scale image of the appropriate hook so that one can superimpose the actual hook on the page to check size and shape. The materials needed for most of the flies is mercifully limited.
There is a 74 page separate section on techniques which is useful - eg a technique for creating a caddis body that will fish just in the surface film, or dubbing bodies with mixed materials for example.
The use of his own tools is illustrated eg the Petitjean Magic Tool, but all the flies can be tied without; eg bulldog clips can substitute for the Magic Tool and the other tools mentioned are generic such as bobbins and whip finishers.
There is little in the way of padding which is refreshing. One slight disappointment was the lack of Youtube links to his videos that I assumed would be present, but that really is nitpicking.
Highly recommended- assuming you tie with CDC.

doobrysnatcher

i bought that book following your review and it arrived today only glanced at it so far ,it looks very informative and as i havent ever tyed or used cdc im sure it will be educational also,

Troutbhoy

Bought the book & the Petitjean tools this year. I've always had a love for tying with CDC & this book helps you bring that to another level, of course if you watch some of Marc's tying videos he makes it look so easy but with a bit of practice... I've used some of his CDC Dun patterns & they're really effective.It has become my fly tying bible & it's a book you'll reference again & again.

Latest posts