Delphi

lavo85

Next year was going to head south to fish delphi in connemara in march, just wondering could anyone point me in the direction for info regarding daytickets, how far in advance to book etc.
Anyone any info?

Mies

Should find all you need here....

Never fished it myself but it's a stunning location.

lavo85

Should find all you need here....

Never fished it myself but it's a stunning location.

just looking down the info, seems daytickets are limited and only available at 48 hours notice.
Not ideal.

Mies

No, not ideal unless you're staying at the lodge. Your best bet would be to call the fishery manager directly and try to find some arrangement. They may be a little more flexible than just booking online.

lavo85

I will give them a call see what they recommend, failing that is anywhere else worth a throw?
Have passed the erriff a few times and fished the dawros, what dates do they even open?

G

GEK79

I will give them a call see what they recommend, failing that is anywhere else worth a throw?
Have passed the erriff a few times and fished the dawros, what dates do they even open?
I'm unsure about the waters you mention but I know a majority of my rivers here open Feb 15th.

Mies

There's a helpful map on the various defined regions covering Galway and Mayo. Opening dates, beats etc.

Inagh or Ballynahinch might be worth a look.

lavo85

If you manage to secure tickets is the day spent on the river or rotated between lough and river?
Ive never fished a lough for salmon.

Mies

If you manage to secure tickets is the day spent on the river or rotated between lough and river?

Are you referring to Lough Inagh or Ballynahinch?

Ballynahinch is primarily river fishing. Self guided or fork out for a ghillie. I never saw a boat on the lake even though I fished it once myself.

With regard to Lough Inagh, you can take your pick. You'd be better off choosing one or the other. Perhaps a day on each depending on how you get on. I reckon it would be a bit of a palaver trying to do both on the same day. My best advice would be to call the Lodge and have a chat with Colin Folan, the fishery manager. He's a fairly easy going chap and I'm sure he would be able to accommodate you.
If you haven't fished a lough for salmon before, you should give it a go. Given the right conditions, you've as good a chance of meeting a nice fish there as on the river. The stunning scenery is a bonus.

Mies

It's beautiful scenery at Lough Inagh and a joy to fish, but you need to get up-to-date information on how the fish are running to have a chance of good sport, with both seatrout and salmon.

Indeed. The volatile weather between the mountains can also make or break a days fishing. That's the problem with booking in advance, it can be a bit of a lottery.

suzuki15hp

Ballynahinch is primarily river fishing. Self guided or fork out for a ghillie. I never saw a boat on the lake even though I fished it once myself.

With regard to Lough Inagh, you can take your pick. You'd be better off choosing one or the other. Perhaps a day on each depending on how you get on. I reckon it would be a bit of a palaver trying to do both on the same day. My best advice would be to call the Lodge and have a chat with Colin Folan, the fishery manager. He's a fairly easy going chap and I'm sure he would be able to accommodate you.
If you haven't fished a lough for salmon before, you should give it a go. Given the right conditions, you've as good a chance of meeting a nice fish there as on the river. The stunning scenery is a bonus.
I was only referring to Lough Inagh. I've yet to fish Ballynahinch.

Colin is a decent chap as you say, as are all of the hotel staff. It's a very relaxed place to go for a meal after a day's fishing, or indeed you can go for lunch in the bar to break up the day. No need to take your waders off. :)

Kylemore is another decent lake for salmon and seatrout fishing, and very easy to access and not too expensive.

lavo85

i was talking about delphi, do you fish the river solely or is it split between river and doolough?

im not very good on boats im afraid, prefer to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground haha.

Mies

I was only referring to Lough Inagh. I've yet to fish Ballynahinch.

Colin is a decent chap as you say, as are all of the hotel staff. It's a very relaxed place to go for a meal after a day's fishing, or indeed you can go for lunch in the bar to break up the day. No need to take your waders off. :)

Kylemore is another decent lake for salmon and seatrout fishing, and very easy to access and not too expensive.

Lost in translation, S. I was responding to lavo's post ;)

Yep, I like Kylemore too. A bit limited drift wise. Haven't fished it since Nancy passed away. RIP
I've had some nice fish there over the years. Again very weather dependent. A nice westerly blowing toward the sandy river inlet is perfect. I don't really know who's running the operation now but it appears to have gone through some transition. Looked a bit unkempt for a while but the boathouse and boats look like they've had a bit of work done. I noticed the B&B is also gone.

Mies

i was talking about delphi, do you fish the river solely or is it split between river and doolough?

im not very good on boats im afraid, prefer to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground haha.

Sorry lavo. I appear to be having a few senior moments today. I really don't know to be honest. As I said in a previous post, best to give them a call. Anyway, you'll be fine and safe in a boat should you choose. I believe the boats on Doolough are Philbin. Good, heavy wooden jobs. You won't even know you're on the water ;)

petevicar

I have fished Ballynahinch many years ago. The hotel was beautiful but the fishing was not great.
I also spent a lot of time fishing Lough Beltra and the Newport river, also Loughs Furnace and Feeagh which are not too far away. The fishing was reasonable.

goldenolive

In Delphi Generally your day is split into two, half day on the river and half day on which ever lough you choose ( Finlough in front of the lodge produces the bulk of the fish, especially the drift along the road shore down past the pier, there is doolough which is mainly a trolling lough, glencullen is not fished much and tawnyard is also not fished much.
If it was me, I would aim to try to fish the river first especially if the water level is good, then go and spend the afternoon drifting on Finlough, it will give you a chance to rest after the river.

The best chance of getting a day ticket would be the weekend, when the timeshare guests are leaving and new guests are arriving.