Denson's Birthday Comp/Match on Stocks fantastic turn out..

graylinghunter

:D:D:DFantastic turn out for scratches (Rob Denson) Birthday comp yesterday on stocks reservoir.
Great to put some faces to names..from the forum....
Fantastic venue with a cracking bunch of blokes really enjoyed the day out.
Happy Birthday Rob...you moaning old ******..!:D

:wine:

Last edited:

Guest100

The Mr D 40th Birthday invitiaion day

Hey up,

just thought I'd get a thread going for any pics from the special day on Sunday (*Edit* Sorry Phil, didn't realise you'd already started one). Firstly I'd like to say what a pleasure it was to meet many new faces, and to see some of the usual crowd there too. Lots of forum members in attendance and I know Rob has mentioned what a special day it was but I'd just like to add that the turnout and the effort made by everyone was absolutely fantastic. Quite a few had put some fair few miles in to be there too (Andrew, Col, Dougie, Scott etc), so well done everyone.

Big thanks to Rob and Ben for organising it, and of course a big (belated) happy birthday to the man himself. I'm hoping we can make it annual event!

As for the comp itself, well for me and quite a few others it was a tricky day. But for a few anglers it was all too easy and they showed that persistence and getting the method right on the day will still grind some decent numbers out. I know Col's got some shots of the prize-giving so I guess he'll add to the thread with their pictures so we can have the opportunity to offer our congrats!

I'd just like to add a special thanks to Col for being my boat partner that day. No matter how tricky the conditions are, with company like Col's, numbers of fish pale into insignificance anyway. Due to the previous night's excess of alcohol at the Bounty I was feeling a bit rough for most of the day. A small nip of Col's Bramble Whiskey did offer a brief respite but only further dulled my senses and made catching some fish and even more unlikely prospect. Thanks Col.

As for pics, I don't think anyone took lots of shots, I didn't take many, so I thought I'd kick a thread off and anyone who might have snapped a few can stick them in here.

Big thanks to everyone for making it such a great day!

The man himself ambles to the jetty

Paul (SharkyP) hasn't quite nailed the 'look at what you're photographing' method

Mike (Brownsville) with what has to be said looks a rather meagre fly selection

A few of Col's fish

Last edited:

Scratch

Banned
Banned
Re: The Mr D 40th Birthday invitiaion day

happy birthday to the man himself. I'm hoping we can make it annual event!
Errr.. no need to go to any trouble, mate.. my birthday already is an annual event :D

The thing is, Stu, I'm only 50 once! Plus, I'm a great believer in not overdoing stuff just cos it was good once. Having said that, even being so hungover, not worrying too many fish, and having so much organising to do, I still thoroughly enjoyed the day. By all accounts, so did many others, so much so that I've already been asked by a few of the guys for next year's date! My birthday or not, people enjoy a relaxed, friendly comp - no pressure, no team responsibilities, blah, blah, blah. Youngsters get to fish with old hands, novices get to fish with internationals (a bit like with you can Col :D), and faces get put to names. What's not to like? Anyway, we'll see.

Great pics, mate. Shame I forgot my camera.. I could have had that shot of you with your stupid little Welsh face peeping out of your Sims :D

A great big thanks, with lots of man-hugs and prolonged back-slapping and stuff to everyone who helped out, furnished me with whisky, cards, their unwanted Christmas gifts, and for simply making the effort and showing up.

Humbled and still hungover.

Rob.

guest70

Aye it were a reet good do and although not all the 44 were forumites, a substantial proportion were....and it left me in no doubt that despite this forum winding me up to the point of fever at times, my membership over the years has been amply rewarded by the number of friendships I've made, and cracking fellow anglers I've had the pleasure of fishing with. The high spirited and somewhat 'lively' debate held in the pub on Saturday night was worth the entry fee alone; and catching up on Sunday morning with the likes of Dave R, Sharkey, Bill, Ant, Chris A, Brownsville etc.....well it sometimes feels as if you're part of a special - if dysfunctional - little family!

I had the considerable honour of sharing a boat with Professor Alex Ferguson (Midlander), and once the Coolies had loaded our boat and departed back for the Workhouse, we were left alone to enjoy a challenging day's angling, undertaken in the most gentlemanly manner imaginable. Such days live long in the memory, so a big thanks to Mr F. for tolerating me and my fast arm washing line tactics.....and a big thanks to Rob for having me along, organising such a cracking event, and fashioning such a masterful trophy. It was certainly the best papier mache moulded around an inflated balloon, aggressive looking yellow bellied orange trout I've seen in the last year. Respect.

I have few photos, but I'll post what I've got later on.

M

Scratch

Banned
Banned
''Denson's'' birthday match?

Charming :D

Cheers for the shots, Phil, and for coming :)

Obadiah69

Superb day Rob, thanks for the invite; really enjoyed it and got me picture took as well, cheers Phil.:D:D

Mies

So... who won and who pulled the buxom barmaid? :cool:

Scratch

Banned
Banned

So... who won and who pulled the buxom barmaid? :cool:
I tried my best at both.... epic FAIL :D

1st Ian Gaskell..............18 fish for 36lb 11oz
2nd Ben Dobson............16 fish for 33lb 04oz
3rd Scott Aitken............15 fish for 29lb 10oz
4th Dave Parker.............12 fish for 25lb 06oz
5th Shaun Gaskell.........12 fish for 23lb 05oz
6th Ryan Feber..............11 fish for 22lb 11oz
7th Paul Davison............11 fish for 22lb 02oz
8th Martin Griffiths..........10 fish for 21lb 06oz
9th Darren Woodmass....11 fish for 20lb 15oz
10th Callum Smalley.......10 fish for 10lb 02oz
11th John Hood................8 fish for 16lb 07oz

Biggest Fish - Bill Ferguson 3lb 6oz (Midlander's dad :D)

Mies

I tried my best at both.... epic FAIL :D

1st Ian Gaskell..............18 fish for 36lb 11oz
2nd Ben Dobson............16 fish for 33lb 04oz
3rd Scott Aitken............15 fish for 29lb 10oz
4th Dave Parker.............12 fish for 25lb 06oz
5th Shaun Gaskell.........12 fish for 23lb 05oz
6th Ryan Feber..............11 fish for 22lb 11oz
7th Paul Davison............11 fish for 22lb 02oz
8th Martin Griffiths..........10 fish for 21lb 06oz
9th Darren Woodmass....11 fish for 20lb 15oz
10th Callum Smalley.......10 fish for 10lb 02oz
11th John Hood................8 fish for 16lb 07oz

Biggest Fish - Bill Ferguson 3lb 6oz (Midlander's dad :D)
Jaysus! That's my way beyond my annual quota :eek:

Don't suppose you could shift the beano to the Corrib next year and give us plebs a day out :p

BTW... belated happy half-century ;)

guest70

More a 'get some fish caught' day than a photography day in our boat....but here's a few from my end.

Out we go - big flotilla heading for the Northern Shallows.

The Prof applying some 'under the motor' sidestrain

Drifting toward the Eaking Shallows

Last edited:

bill1

I had a really great day. Now I've even got a picture of myself amongst the great and good. I proudly showed it to my wife.

"You look like a bag lady" she said, and walked off.

Very nice to meet you, Phil:thumbs:

ant77

Huge thanks to Rob for the invite, for putting up with my tardiness, and for humouring my stuttering hangover all day in the boat. And what a boat! I’ve not been out in a 17’ Angler’s Fancy before but the thing felt like it could weather a typhoon. Too many faces to put names to but it was fantastic to see so many anglers turn out for the great Mr Chuckles’s birthday. Sadly I’ve no pics to show as I’d burnt the phone out on a bad sat-nav lead on the way there (made the mistake of turning right at the exit on the way home too onto a long single-track road which seemed to head North West over a fell that went on forever and a day. I wanted South East). Still, can’t grumble, a cracking day out and I even caught a fish. Woo-hoo! Happy Birthday Scratch :thumbs:

Cap'n Fishy

Great to put some faces to names..from the forum....
Aye, great do. Not enough time to get round everyone, though. I came away wondering who was that person and who was that person... :confused:

I can maybe post up a few photos I took of boats, and folk can go: that's me!

I'll start...

:D

Where should I put them though? There's your thread and Pengs's thread (I feel a slight obligation to him, as I shared a boat with him :eek:) Or I could start a 3rd thread...

Col

Guest100

Where should I put them though? There's your thread and Pengs's thread (I feel a slight obligation to him, as I shared a boat with him :eek:)

Col
Damn right! :D

Nah, don't worry Col, put them in either, I'll PM Myraid and ask for them to be all rolled into one anyway.

SharkeyP

Here's a couple more from the big Scratch Hangover Cure Match. Dave Parker was my unfortunate boat partner. I knew he liked me as soon as he skulled me with his boatseat as he got onboard. He's fished more Internationals than times I've fished from a drifting boat so it seemed only fair to let have have the engine.

Once we started fishing he managed to give me an encouraging slap in the face with his fast glass. Fortunately none of the four barbed hooks on his cast connected. I'd like to say fishing with Dave was an education but my old eyes will never be able to detect subsurface fish in a wave like him. Most of his fish came to dries and all but one were targeted fish. He even covered a fish that rose to my dry before I could react. In the end I was happy not to have blanked, my two fish allowing me to stand on equal ranking with some very good boat anglers.

Oh, and Pengs, I don't need my eyes open; here's a long shot of Scratch late for his own party, struggling under the weight of a big hangover, and your good self completely obscured by a telephoto lens.

Already looking forward to the 60th! Thanks again for organising Rob. Couldn't have been easy herding these cats!

SharkeyP

Last edited: