Diawl Bach feathers

pigsypete

Hi,

May I ask a silly question. I am new to tying and brought a bunch of materials from an auction. I want to tie some diawl bachs but the cock hackles I have seem to be very small and I find it hard to get any decent length ones to make a tail and throat.

Despite searching I am not sure what packet of feathers I should be looking for to get some good length feathers. Can someone let me know what one to buy and a decent barbless hook to tie them on.

Many thanks in advance
Pete

3lbgrayling

Hi Pete.Just buy a chinese/indian red game cock cape(cheap as chips) and take the fibre from a large feather from the tip.Your not needing a hackle as such.Fulling mill do a good range of standard barbless hooks.

ha ha. 2 answers 2 different opinions..

Jim

arkle

Some cock hackles. like genetics maybe to stiff but6 the cheapo Chinese & Indian ones should be okay. The capes shouldn't cost much more than a couple of quid per colour.

The Osprey barbless are very good, as are most other makes like Kamasan, Diiachi, Fulling Mill etc etc, most hook manufacturers have got their acts together these days, so it's down to the style you want & how much you want to pay.