Difference between a fisherman and a good fisherman

taffy1

100% concentration at all times, attention to detail, double checking tackle, knots etc & having had a good 15/20 minutes studying what's going on in front of you. Wade like a heron, stealth, keeping your silhouette away from the skyline & cast as though you are presenting gossamer onto the surface of the water. Having written all that, I have seen anglers bumbling up to the water, slashing the surface on every false cast & still manage to catch fish! Make of that what you will, it happens.

Edit: I used to fish with another angler who would slash the water on each cast. If we were fishing at night for sea run brownies I would lead the way. If on the other hand we were targetting salmon during the day, he would proceed & I would happily follow him down through a pool, as more often than not, he would stir them up.

Last edited:

SirHarryLewis

I often wonder what I should do when I arrive to the river and just find there is no rise during the day. Turn around and go home?

taffy1

I often wonder what I should do when I arrive to the river and just find there is no rise during the day. Turn around and go home?
After making the effort to get there, sit down for a few minutes, have a look to see if anything's hatching, what's on the surface, spinners, emergers, duns or shucks. Nothing showing put a nymph or 2 on & go prospecting.

LukeNZ

Also, just wondering if FF333 is still around, haven’t seen him post for ages (or is he perhaps awaiting forum reincarnation, or similar)?

Scotty Mitchell

After making the effort to get there, sit down for a few minutes, have a look to see if anything's hatching, what's on the surface, spinners, emergers, duns or shucks. Nothing showing put a nymph or 2 on & go prospecting.
Or fish an "everything and nothing" dry fly in the likely zones regardless of any risers or not. You'll be surprised!

Cap'n Fishy

Having written all that, I have seen anglers bumbling up to the water, slashing the surface on every false cast...
A stillwater boat fisherman's equivalent of that...

An area of calm, shallow water with rising fish in it... Dry fly rod at the ready, come in quietly, on electric o/b speed 1, or on muffled oars. Keep a tub of grease in your pocket to smear on squeaking rowlocks... 😜 Cast with a rigid waist/hips so your weight does not move forwards and backwards while casting. Too many boat fishers simply cannot cast without doing an impression of Val Doonican in his rocking chair... and as they do, they send out ripples and spook every fish in the vicinity.

And while you are sitting there, doing a good impression of church mice, and hopefully catching fish, another boat with 2 numpties in it will spot you playing one and come motoring right through the centre of the area at full throttle - and stop 30 yards from you. Aargh! 🤬

Last edited:

ohanzee

The better angler might say know when and fish when fish are feeding rather than the human convenient time, or some might say the better angler is the one that can catch when it appears hopeless, after enough cold fishless days questioning the latter I tend to go with the former and go back at 10pm.

hill loch gold

Being able and competent at fishing a variety of different methods. Always being willing to learn and improve and if your not sure about something don’t be scared to ask and listen to someone who knows better. Try and find out what the fish are feeding on. Every time i go to a loch, i spend a bit of time rummaging about the edges, turning over stones etc to see what is below them. I also think a big factor on being successful depends on where you are fishing. On some lochs 1 fish could be classed as a good day. The harder the waters you fish are, the more it makes you think as an angler, as you try and figure things out.

atr

If you are or have been a member of this forum and you have taken in all the information provided,you will be a good fisherman.If you haven't,you're just a fisherman.

eddleston123

If I was to wait on a fish rising on the streams that I fish, I'd be waiting an awful long time!

I am mainly a dry fly angler, and my preferred method is to search all the likely nooks and crannies with a dry fly and hope that a trout eventually makes a mistake. Off course, if I see a fish breaking the surface, that will get my immediate attention.

Many anglers, in the absence of anything rising, will fish with nymphs (usually weighted) . They will probably catch more than me searching with a dry fly. But that is the method that I enjoy.

Every angler to their own.

Douglas

SirHarryLewis

If I was to wait on a fish rising on the streams that I fish, I'd be waiting an awful long time!

I am mainly a dry fly angler, and my preferred method is to search all the likely nooks and crannies with a dry fly and hope that a trout eventually makes a mistake. Off course, if I see a fish breaking the surface, that will get my immediate attention.

Many anglers, in the absence of anything rising, will fish with nymphs (usually weighted) . They will probably catch more than me searching with a dry fly. But that is the method that I enjoy.

Douglas
Do you favour large or small drys in such cirumstances?

The weighted nymph is something Ive been meaning to try. I do use a ptn on a new zealand style sometimes but I do question whether Im a bit too much in love with the tungsten beaded version and i need to up my nymph game.

ejw

I to, fish a river with little surface activity, I have 2 flies, found over many years that work. The most effective the beaded PTN in a size 14. The other a generic dry with a bit of flash, this will cover most flies including terrestrials (these show up more in autopsies). This makes fly selection easy, if I see a rising fish, the dry goes on, if not the PTN. I do not prospect any more with dries, as it very rarely works on my local river, but the system I use has never failed. Simple tactics that give enjoyment and the opportunity to use the correct fly to catch.

GEK79

Douglas
That's my enjoyment on the river look for the spots the fish will await.. Cast to tempt when a rise occurs put it near the rise.. If northing moving try a nymph.. If nothing move along...great way to fish..

Reactions: ejw

eddleston123

Do you favour large or small drys in such cirumstances?

The weighted nymph is something Ive been meaning to try. I do use a ptn on a new zealand style sometimes but I do question whether Im a bit too much in love with the tungsten beaded version and i need to up my nymph game.
Assuming the trout aren't rising to an identifiable fly, I tend to fish with a bushy cdc sedge, in the hope that it tempts a trout up to a 'tasty morsel'

However, in my case, a fly I can easily see on the water is of benefit to me as I am as blind as the proverbial bat!

As far as nymph fishing is concerned, I would not be the one to advise, as I am not very good at this method. There are many very experienced nymphers on this forum who will be delighted to advise.

a.t.b.

Douglas

SirHarryLewis

Assuming the trout aren't rising to an identifiable fly, I tend to fish with a bushy cdc sedge, in the hope that it tempts a trout up to a 'tasty morsel'

However, in my case, a fly I can easily see on the water is of benefit to me as I am as blind as the proverbial bat!

As far as nymph fishing is concerned, I would not be the one to advise, as I am not very good at this method. There are many very experienced nymphers on this forum who will be delighted to advise.

a.t.b.

Douglas
Thanks. Ive been known to try the cdc Sedge also. In recent years, i seem to have gone from wet fly fishing to nymph fishing earlier in the evening for what reason Im not sure. I suppose I was led to believe that wet fly fishing is still something one does during a rise and the nymph is what one needs to be at when all is quite on the river. I also am not good at it though.

clag

A lot of people assume that a fisherman who has been fishing a long time will be an expert. To me that confuses experience with expertise. I have observed some anglers have a lot of experience but seemed to have gained very little expertise from it. That said, I don't think you can gain expertise in much in life without a lot of experience of the relevant subject matter.

Many years ago I read a TF review of some small Hampshire stillwater. It interviewed the local expert who always caught his limit at the fishery. What I will never forget was his answer when asked by the reviewer had he thought about going to fish bigger waters such as Grafham or Rutland. 'No' came the reply followed by the memorable (if very honest line) 'they are too difficult for me'. So perhaps they guy was the best at catching yetserday's stockies from that water but was he really an expert trout fisherman? A good angler can go to almost any trout venue in river or lake, adapt their tackle and techniques and can catch fish from them.

It is often said in salmon fishing that the best anglers will catch a fish when conditions are challenging or when there are far fewer fish about say in March. There is a modicum of truth in that but there is, in my observation a much better test/measure. The really good salmon anglers come to the fore when conditions are good. Take a mid September day on the Lower Scottish Dee at, say, Park (at least pre-Frank). If the river is at just under a foot and a half, falling with a settled cloudy sky a moderate South West wind and a stock of fresh and resident fish I would expect the novices, with help, to catch a fish, the competant anglers 2-4 but the guys who really know what they are doing will catch 8, 9 , 10+. And it will come as no surprise to any in the party as to who has done so. I've seen it far too often over the last 40 years for it to be just luck.

Regards

CLaG

Bongoch

Not being blinkered by one style, or dismissing others - but being able to read the water, the conditions the fish, then adopting a method that catches them.

Being able to fish every method well, and adapt to even the most challenging conditions - consistantly Catching Fish

Catching is essential ! ...I know a lot of anglers that have the tackle, experience, talk a good game yet still struggle to catch.......Right off to Rutland 🐟🐟💕
Pretty much sums up my thoughts.